Author Topic: Air leak vs starting  (Read 4193 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 07, 2009, 10:14:21 pm
I have a slight air leak somewhere, as evidenced by popping on deceleration.  I actually kind of like it, so it doesn't bother me and doesn't seem to effect the running of the bike.  (As far as I can tell...)

However, I'm guessing that this alleged leak might make the bike harder to start- especially in colder weather.  Yes?  No?
Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 10:23:13 pm
Yes it could.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:22:25 am
Oh good!  An air leak to track down!

So- I get a friend to blow into the muffler and listen for the location of the whistle?
Run what ya brung

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:52:19 am
Oh good!  An air leak to track down!

So- I get a friend to blow into the muffler and listen for the location of the whistle?

Well, if thats what your into go for it....

Might it just be the bike is running leaner due to cooler weather and this is causing the popping?   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:01:28 am
No- it's a little louder now, but it's been popping all along.

Do I just need to take everything apart and shove silicone into everything?
Run what ya brung

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 03:14:10 am
I had the Indian made shorty pipe, did the silicon thing on the seams from pipe to can and head to pipe and it did not help much.  When I took it off the bike I found it had a  split in the can about 1/4" long.  My new muffler does not pop like the shorty...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:35:16 am
I can't feel any cracks or whatever, and there's nmo black blow-by where the mufler slides on to the header, so I guess it's eaither at the cylinder, or the carburetor.

The bike starts great when it's cold- it's jsut figuring it out when I stop and re-start (like getting gas).
Run what ya brung

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 03:35:43 am
As a newbie, I tried to kick start my Enfield , Well turns out the clamp on the snorkel came loose creating an air leak. I had a nice back -fire that blew the carb loose . I then buttion up everything with a leatherman , fired up no problems, and good sprage.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 04:20:44 am
REv. Poser, always a plesure to hear from you. 
My sprag is toast, and I don't care to open everything up again.  -At least until my hip totally gives out.   I'm hoping it will kick-start easier when I locate my leak and stuff an old rag in it.

I have no idea what a snorkle is.
Run what ya brung

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 05:16:12 am
My apologies Uncle Ernie. The snorkel I referred to would be the rubber hose going to the carburettor. It had a slight air/ vacuum leak there, that allowed for a nasty backfire upon starting that blew the carb loose.
 Of course this all occurred at the post office parking lot with people standing on the side walk.
Needless to say it broke all the rules of "Looking Cool During Start Up 101"which I've wrote about in previous treads.
I am thankful I didn't have a lit cigar going that day.

Sorry to hear about the blown sprage.Probably an easy job for you now that you've done it a few times.But then again I wouldn't know, must be the full liter of wal-mart 20w-50 I poured in .
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 01:26:23 pm
I know exactly why the sprag broke this time;  I thought I was at TDC when I adjusted my valves.  Buttoned everything up and kicked it over- "BAM!"   Turns out I was NOT at the proper TDC and the exhaust valve lifter went down further- just enough for the rod it slip out and the engine to go backwards.  Not actually a backfire, just a loud metal-to-metal whack like a hammer on an anvil.   A full quart of liquid Christmas Miracle wouldn't have helped that situation.  Basically another lesson learned for me.  >sigh< 

So- I have "kicked" BMW's and Indian's for all my adult life and they were easy (when they are tuned properly).   The Pellet is actually prety easy, also.  I just need to make sure all the "i's" are dotted.
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 02:47:54 pm
So Unk, those "Indians" you are kicking are really Pakistani. Ya gotta ride out to Cherokee with me if you wanna kick some real Indians.

I went out to Cherokee when I was a kid. There was an old guy there in full headdress and buckskins (Cherokees never dressed like that). He claimed to have the worlds best memory. For a quarter you could ask him any question and he'd answer it. I gave him a quarter and asked him what he had for breakfast a month earlier and he answered "eggs". Even back then I was wasteing money. Later that day my parents bought me an authentic bow and arrow set, with the rubber tips that always fell off. You could really get a squeal out of a younger brother when you hit him in the ass with that. It was made in Japan and broke 2 weeks later. back then all junk was made in Japan.
Anyways, i was out there 2 years ago and I swear the same Indian was there. if my math is right, he must be about 115 now. I walked up to him, raised my hand and greeted him with "HOW".........................................................

"Scrambled" he answered.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 03:43:52 pm
From the air leak that will never go away...

:-*    ;D
Run what ya brung

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 04:30:49 pm
You can hold the thing underwater and look for bubbles...  Works for tires.... ;)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 05:48:48 pm
Uncle Ernie stutters like Barney Frank. He can wet it down by talking to it. ::)
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville