Author Topic: Retro bikes - real is best  (Read 9267 times)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 02:19:16 pm
  More I look around at all the CJ's I see on the net the more I get hooked.  I believe it would be a good stable mate to the RE Military I currently own and have a love/hate relationship with.  I guess it really reminds me of a Sunbeam if you get the OHV engine installed.  I dig slow and quirky.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 03:00:36 pm
  More I look around at all the CJ's I see on the net the more I get hooked.  I believe it would be a good stable mate to the RE Military I currently own and have a love/hate relationship with.  I guess it really reminds me of a Sunbeam if you get the OHV engine installed.  I dig slow and quirky.  Will.

I think the CJ's were made from the old worn out tooling given them by the Russians. We had one ride with us at one of the rallies. What a piece of crap. The metalwork looked like something Charlie Chan made, bent over a fire with a hammer and anvil. The ride was in excess of 20 miles, so of course it broke down. it was irritatingly slow. Top speed was right at that point where I couldn't leave the Ural in 4th without lugging it, and had to ride in 3rd so I wouldn't leave him behind.
Get a used Ural, 2005 or newer, and be happy.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 03:56:51 pm
Actually, the Chang Jiang bikes were made from the original BMW tooling that the Russians captured in WWII with the fall of Berlin. While old Ike and Monty were dancing in the streets, slapping each other on the back for what Ia fine job they'd done, Stalin's boys drew the line in the sand and took East Berlin where the BMW factory was laying, nearly untouched.

A Chang today, if it was built as a military bike and not a flimsy civilian bike from the NanChang factory, can be QUITE a ride. They are too simple to be unreliable - much like our beloved Enfields! If they are right, they'll run forever with maintenance - like an Enfield. They ARE as slow as glacial motion - ask anyone who patiently followed me in Rolla on my Dnepr - but they only had to be a little faster than the tanks they were scouting for!! Hahahaha!! (What do you call a slow motorcycle in the Infantry? Crunchy ....   ::))  The REALLY cool thing is that you won't ever see one at a "bike night" - and an old patina'd CJ (or Enfield) will draw a BIGGER crowd than a noisy, chrome-plated, skulls and cross-bones painted V-Twin. You know - it's why we ride these silly old oddballs - WE are delightfully different, yet unrefined ....  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 05:32:05 pm
  Exactly...here lies the question from Confucious.  Pre 70/post 70.  What is an average price for these?  I've seen around 5k unrestored to about 8k for a dolled up refined version.  Not exactly something the bank has a scale for.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 09:05:22 pm
Even cheap bikes are expensive these days. And 5 quid's worth of petrol costs you 6 at most garages, because of inflation.

;)

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 09:09:04 pm
Well... be careful what you wish for.
Run what ya brung

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 09:40:32 pm
  I know..but I can more than likely handle all the repairs right here.  Just trying to see what average prices are.  If I weren't so drawn to ugly puppies and bikes I'd probably be better off.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 10:40:09 pm
A good CJ will cost you about $8K - or a little more depending on what you want on it. And a GOOD one is one that you can kick and go - NOT one that has to be re-re-rebuilt when you get it. The majority of that cost is transportation and Customs fees - the DOT and EPA (what??) bond has increased exponentially to keep the junk out of the country. A LOT of these bikes still slip in illegally - and these are the cheap ones .... oh - you wanted a TITLE with that? You know the ones ..... They ARE way, way cool tho ....   ;)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 12:20:19 am
A brand new Ural, Tourist T, with a 2 year unlimited warranty, has a msrp of $9,999. There are a number of dealers, one who posts on here, that sells for msrp, no add ons.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 12:54:03 am
   Suppose thats the easy way..not quite unusual enough.  Saw a CJ in refinished military form.  Now that's a different horse.  Suppose if I could get the Ural Patrol Sahara for $10k I might be persuaded.  The one I saw was a rebuilt with the OHV for right at $8700.  But of course I haven't bought it yet.  Still in the planning phase.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 01:04:17 am
Stay away from the OHV Chang engines .... they are a LOT fussier than the old flattie. They both go the same speed (despite all the bullsh1t that you read) because of the gearing. The flattie is a tad thirstier for gas - but not for parts. I've gone 40K klicks on one and it's still just dandy. I put a LOT of heads for the OHV bikes over the curb for fellows with spoilt valve guides (poor geometry adn little lube ...) and broken valve springs adn the like. The OHV is also short rod engine - although it's dimensionally the same as the flattie, it's absolutely gu-huh-huh-huh-utless compared to the tractor like torque of the flattie.

I TOTALLY agree with you that a Ural is cool - had one - but too easy. A decked out desert tan CJ with all the military tool bling on it is the cat's meow! It's a perfect compliment to a Military Enfield in your garage .... or a BSA M20 .... or a Dnepr .... you get the picture ....  ::)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 01:47:48 am
Or you can get a hammer for about $1.00 at a flea market and spend the rst of the day whacking yourself in the head until you pass out.   

Now there's a tough choice...
Run what ya brung

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 02:25:27 am
Stay away from the OHV Chang engines .... they are a LOT fussier than the old flattie. They both go the same speed (despite all the bullsh1t that you read) because of the gearing. The flattie is a tad thirstier for gas - but not for parts. I've gone 40K klicks on one and it's still just dandy. I put a LOT of heads for the OHV bikes over the curb for fellows with spoilt valve guides (poor geometry adn little lube ...) and broken valve springs adn the like. The OHV is also short rod engine - although it's dimensionally the same as the flattie, it's absolutely gu-huh-huh-huh-utless compared to the tractor like torque of the flattie.

I TOTALLY agree with you that a Ural is cool - had one - but too easy. A decked out desert tan CJ with all the military tool bling on it is the cat's meow! It's a perfect compliment to a Military Enfield in your garage .... or a BSA M20 .... or a Dnepr .... you get the picture ....  ::)

Was going to ask you that, the side valve does look more like a brutus.  Cool I suppose when I'm ready I'll call to get a lock on an old timer.  I figure 60-71.  What do you think of those years?  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 03:25:13 pm
The thing to get with the CJ750 is a genuine MILITARY bike. These are legion (and legal to import, BTW) in China. They can be recognised by the oval frame tubes and bigger gussets on the rear plunger section. Year doesn't matter - they are all the same. The only thing that you have to do is comply with that rolling date that the DOT has for collectible vehicles. I'd go with the 12V flattie - just for the availability of the little crap - like bulbs - that will drive you nuts trying to find in 6V. The 12V bikes also have a nice E-Start set up - UN-like the early Urals and Dneprs that are "cobble on's" Don't rely on the starter, tho - kick when you can .... but they WILL bail you out in a pinch! Also - stay away from the "performance" carbs and what not on the engines - they are JUNK from China. The OEM "BING-alikes" will work as new even when they are worn out. Three moving parts does a perfect carb make! So there - now you're armed and dangerous!! Hahahaha!!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 04:16:11 pm
  I've always been dangerous, just armed with the proper knowledge, thanks SB.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.