Author Topic: My new electra- Shifter Play  (Read 1343 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 03, 2009, 06:45:26 pm
I am picking up my new electra next week. The dealer has been helping with the break in, has put about 70 miles on it. He wants to make that all systems are go before handing it over to me.

Last time I rode an RE was almost 10 years ago. Back then the gear shifter used to develop a 'play'.  You had to pull on it with your foot an extra inch or two for it to shift gears . They also had a 'neutral finder' back then. Is that still the case ?

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:37:21 pm
I think "eutral finders" are a thing of the past.

Everything gets better as you put easy miles on the bike.  That said, I find that if I'm sort of "short-shifting" I need to hold pressure on the lever when up-shifting or it will occasionally pop out of gear.  However- if I wind the bike out a bit more, I don't have any problems like that. 
Could be it's time for me to adjust the clutch a tad after 6500 miles...?  In general- not a problem.
Run what ya brung

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:26:10 pm
You'll notice that for gears 1-4 there will be no play in the shifter as you gently 'pull' or 'nudge' upward on the shift lever with your toe. Once you're in 5th and pull up there is some play (upward). That's the way I check to see if I'm in 5th in those senior moments.

Matt

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:26:04 am
You don't need a neutrel finder for the AVL engine. She will shift a little rough with some false neutrals. Should all smooth out ,about the 1000-1200 mile mark.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)