Author Topic: Idiosyncratic Gear Select  (Read 1992 times)

VeniceBeachBullet

• Scooter
  • G5 with mods.
on: December 02, 2009, 09:53:27 pm
Just taken charge of my nice shiny new Bullet, and having a few issues with the gears.

My question is;
Has anyone else had problems up-shifting and downshifting (usually between 3rd and 4th)?
Although I am hearing and feeling the satisfying click, I am - from time to time - finding myself out of gear altogether.  Worrying if about to try and accelerate out of a bend in the road.
This may of course just be my need to get used to the gearbox, but as I'm on the forum, I thought I'd ask.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 10:20:44 pm
Hi,

I occasionally have a similar problem, between 3rd and 4th, or 2nd to 3rd, the gear lever feels as though it's jammed in neutral. Not all the time just on the odd occasion. I usually just grab the clutch hook into it with my boot and it rights itself. I just put it down to one of those little mystRiEs of life.

Cheers  :)

VeniceBeachBullet

• Scooter
  • G5 with mods.
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:54 pm
Had a feeling it might be just "one of those things".  Thanks for the tip though.

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:33:58 pm
It can take a bit of getting used to. I've done 4000 miles on my AVL Eelctra and still get it wrong sometimes. If you're not positive with your foot then you can easily tap it into a false neutral with the associated embarrassment of lots of revs as you try to accelerate.

I've also experienced the very occasional refusal to select neutral when stationary so I'm now getting into the habit of selecting neutral as I come to a stop.

The gear selection should become easier as the beast settles down after its break in period and as you get more familiar with it.

Check the posts regarding clutch adjustments/maintenance as this can be quite critical for smooth running.