Author Topic: broken clutch cable  (Read 12406 times)

hoppyre

• Scooter
  • 06 Bullet Sixty-5. 09 Suzuki Tu250x
on: November 13, 2007, 12:49:01 pm
Well, my clutch cable broke yesterday on my 06 Sixty-5 while I was test riding her after installing the electronic ignition. She only has 1450 miles on it. Have any of you had this same problem??? I have a new cable coming from my dealer, should be here today!!!     Mark

mtrude

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 01:28:05 pm
Hello, no not yet, Where did it break? I always put a drop of oil on the "ball" at the  lever end, It needs to pivot in the lever and not flex back and forth. Have fun, mtrude

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 04:05:31 pm
Yeah, I broke on at 1350 miles or so, but it was kind of my own fault.  My bike had a slow speed fall over and the clutch lever had gotten a little bent/scraped.  The ball end was not free to rotate and there was a burr on the edge.  If I had inspected it closer, I would have noticed (and fixed) those problems before the cable broke.  Anyway, I've fixed it now (bent things back, filed burrs, lubricated).  It sure is hard trying to find a place to pull over without a clutch!

Eamon
Eamon

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:11:10 pm
The best thing you can do is to spray the ends of the cable with WD-40 on a regular basis. Cables frequetnly corrode from the inside out and this will prevent it. Just the moisture in the air is enough to cause this.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

hoppyre

• Scooter
  • 06 Bullet Sixty-5. 09 Suzuki Tu250x
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 12:50:37 am
Hello, no not yet, Where did it break? I always put a drop of oil on the "ball" at the  lever end, It needs to pivot in the lever and not flex back and forth. Have fun, mtrude

Mine broke at the ball end in the transmission. Took out the cable, opened the trans filler plug, and there was the ball still on the clutch release lever. I'm glad it didn't fall into the transmission.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 05:34:14 pm
Dont these things come with a spare clutch and front brake cable in the tool box? At least thats what my owners manual says, spare tube too. I got my 2005 used with nothing. I hope the spare cables aren't needed often.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 12:52:27 pm
On the way to work last night lost the throttle cable; 5K and change...Bummer. Ignominy of returning home in the bed of a pickup truck (not to mention being late for work). Ordered the "premium" throttle & clutch cables from CMW. Recently had that notorious rubber tube that holds the carburetor to the intake manifold spontaneously develop a 3" tear; at least duct tape got me home that time. Any other "weak links" I should keep a lookout for?

Oh, yeah...among other things that you should periodically check for having vibrated loose or spontaneously unscrewed themselves, check your spark plug. Mine launched itself into the next county a couple of weeks back; at least I was within sight of my street (albeit downhill) when that happened.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 08:01:10 pm
Ordered the "premium" throttle & clutch cables from CMW. Any other "weak links" I should keep a lookout for?

Emmet,
  Assuming the throttle cable broke at the twist grip, when you install the new one you will see why.  The nylon/plastic housing the cable fits into puts it into a bind and instead of rotating in the housing it flexes the cable and eventually wears it out.   You can rework it with a small rat tail file and a pocket knife.
  you will have about the same thing with the clutch cable, you will have to rework the clutch actuating lever to get the premium cable to fit and rotate properly.  A dremel tool will make it easy.  Just as precaution I would check the clutch cable now, maybe you can catch it before it breaks too.
Been There,
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 09:32:46 pm
Dont these things come with a spare clutch and front brake cable in the tool box? At least thats what my owners manual says, spare tube too. I got my 2005 used with nothing. I hope the spare cables aren't needed often.

Yeah, my manual said the same thing, but I had no cables in my toolbox (although it did have the toolkit and spare tube).  Of course, the dealer I originally bought from (I don't think they are a dealer anymore) took months to even get me the manual!

Eamon
Eamon

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 10:42:06 pm
You have to wonder, in this century should this be happening? I don't know about you guys, but Most of  the other bikes I have owned went their whole lives without these failures.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 11:35:34 pm
Just as precaution I would check the clutch cable now, maybe you can catch it before it breaks too.

Yes; I'm replacing them as a pair. They are both of the same "vintage" (2006!? 5600 miles!?)

You have to wonder, in this century should this be happening? I don't know about you guys, but Most of  the other bikes I have owned went their whole lives without these failures.

The thought's crossed my mind on more than one occasion.
In 9 months and 5400 miles:

Rode it home on "Reserve". Apparently it had never been ridden on reserve before; coughed, sputtered, and stalled all the way home. Rinsed the tank, replaced the fuel line, added in-line fuel filter, stripped and cleaned carburetor. Now I ride it on reserve once a week, just in case (actually used reserve as it was intended once, and it worked as intended, too).

On start-up engine made the most ungodly clattering noise I've ever heard an engine make and survive. Adjusted exhaust tappet A LOT. I suspect it's exhaust valve seat slipped, something I've never heard of except with Royal Enfields; what can only be described as shoddy manufacturing. Now I always leave it on the compression stroke when parked.

Coughed, sputtered, backfired, wheezed, stalled; just made it to work fiddling constantly with the choke and throttle. Rubber manifold had failed, ubiquitous to Royal Enfields. Made it home with duct tape, replaced with radiator hose and good stainless hose clamps. Piece-of-crap part; no other way to describe it.

Dead on side of road; rode home in back of truck. Despite fuel filter, something gagged one of the jets. Cleaned the carburetor and recharged the battery.

Ejected spark plug. It apparently unscrewed itself from vibration. Installed extra plug, but it had apparently discharged the increasingly feeble OEM battery. Pushed home, installed new plug (heavily torqued this time) and new battery. Ordered a capacitor.

Broke throttle cable. Rode home in back of truck again. Piece-of-crap part paired with poor engineering; no other way to describe it.

While two can be ascribed to ID-10-T errors and one to simply the fickleness of the internal-combustion-engine gods, that does seem to me like an awful lot for an essentially new machine.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 12:06:51 am by Emmet »

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 11:50:43 pm
  My throttle cable went at 2500 miles and the 1st clutch cable at 4000.  I had the 1st premium cable go at about 11000.  For the 2nd premium clutch cable (3rd clutch cable) I worked over the clutch actuating lever that I mentioned, hope it lasts longer.
  What century?  The last of course! circa 1955. 

Just as precaution I would check the clutch cable now, maybe you can catch it before it breaks too.

Yes; I'm replacing them as a pair. They are both of the same "vintage" (2006!? 5600 miles!?)

The thought's crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 12:22:50 am
Hey, not to beat this to death but was there any warning?You know, they usually give some warning, gritty feel etc. Or did the end just pull off? The fella with the throttle cable failure really blows my mind, I mean it has a nothing job to do and it broke? and at low miles?   Does the factory have anything to say about this?

prof_stack

Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 01:40:22 am
We have to remember that the Royal Enfield is not a "set it and forget it" motorcycle. 

The last motorcycle I rode that broke cables (clutch cable) was my then new 1968 Honda CL90.  It was fun with my step-dad on the back pulling the cable so I could shift while we rode home.  Brought us together somehow...  After that it was a regular feature of the bike to lube the cables.

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 05:26:56 am
was there any warning?You know, they usually give some warning, gritty feel etc. Or did the end just pull off? The fella with the throttle cable failure really blows my mind, I mean it has a nothing job to do and it broke? and at low miles?

Nope. No warning at all...just riding to work, slightly twist the throttle; no response. Roll on a bit more and realize there's no resistance at all; upon inspection, the end had frayed through or pulled off at the throttle; came right out in my hand. Yes; it had been regularly lubed.

C.C.

• Scooter
  • 1960 Bullet
Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 04:43:03 pm
My 2006 sixty 5 came with spare clutch, brake cable, tire tube as indicated in the manual. Had to use the clutch cable at 4000 miles.
2006 Bullet Sixty 5
Member: Royal Enfield Association #11

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 04:54:32 pm
4000 miles seems more like what should be expected.  DId you occasionally lube your cables?

2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 08:12:51 pm
This thread on this subject may be of interest:  http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,268.0.html

4000 miles seems more like what should be expected.  DId you occasionally lube your cables?

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 08:21:45 pm
I carry a spare clutch and throttle cable on all my bikes, including my Suzuki.  I also carry spark plugs and a spare headlight bulb.  (Had a headlight bulb blow one night on a dark country road whilst crossing the railroad tracks which just happen to be on a corner.  Was very interesting for a few moments, but suprisingly, I made it upright.)
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 01:03:07 am
That is an informative thread, Leonard.  Nice pictures too.  Too bad about the camera.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 02:44:40 am
well so far all this sounds good ;D
cheaper than when I had to replace my BMW's rear mono-shock :P :o

sewerman

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: December 24, 2007, 03:17:14 pm
My 04 cable broke with on 1200 miles.  I bought the heavy doty cable out of the catalog but the transmission end was to big to fit in the clutch yoke so I used the supplied spare.  Keeping the cable lubed, the clutch adjusted and not sitting at a light with the clutch pulled in is everything with a Bullet!

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 25, 2007, 07:55:24 pm
My '99 broke the clutch cable at approx 3500 miles, I did some back of the envelope calculations and figured the original cable lasted 20,000 shifts.  The replacement Premium cable has lasted 9000 miles thus far which would be 50 or 60 thousand sifts.  I lubed the cable with 20W50 and lubed the cable ends with a light grease.