Author Topic: For what it's worth, me going home.  (Read 7581 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 05:27:34 pm
You would have thought that the UCE engine would be a bit lighter than the previous bolt-together semi-unit incarnations. For example, less ironmongery to hold stuff together and things like the inner primary chain case being a flaring out of a crankcase half, rather than a separate bolt on assembly, etc, etc.

I wonder if you could get a Bullet under 300 pounds, if you went for plastic fenders and light alloy everything else. In my youth, I had a four valve Honda 250 single that weighed in at  a genuine 300 pounds - a good weight for a motorbike. I would have loved to have that machine in a bored and stroked 400cc version. That would have been a nice, nimble ride. The 250 was ok, but it didn't have enough torque to hold motorway speeds and I spent most of my riding time winding it up in fourth gear, then letting it bog down in fifth. I have to say that it was almost right though, and it gave me 80 to 90 miles per gallon.

I'm almost certain that an older Bullet could get down to 300 pounds or less.
It might be pretty bare, but I'd say it could be done.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Scott Gilmore

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 02:50:22 am
Yes, the UCE bikes have gained a little weight, compared  to the older models.  My 2000 Bullet listed a curb weight of 360 lbs.....
I don't know the specifications of a 2000 Bullet.  Is that an electric start 5-speed model?  If not on either count then, strictly speaking, is that really a fair comparison to the new UCE model?

The current specs for a 500 Bullet Classic state 370 lbs dry weight.  If we consider the practices of motorcycle manufacturers in general in listing dry weights of models before 2009 (things really changed with this years specs - pressure from the press finally have had a beneficial effect on the veracity of listed weight specs by the OEMs), and take the extra weight of a 5-speed gearbox and electric start into account, we may find the 412 lb wet weight of current UCE bikes is better than we think.

I reiterate that I don't know the specifications for a 2000 Bullet.  If that year/model bike did have a 5 speed gearbox and electric start (and electronic ignition*), then I stand corrected.

*Electronic ignition systems - generally - add a little weight to a bike, all else being equal.  The low and high RPM sending components of the EI stator along with the electronic ignition box itself outweight a points/reluctor system.  The difference is very small though, and well worth it in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 02:52:51 am by Scott Gilmore »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 03:39:31 am
No the 2000 models don't have electric starters or 5-speed gearbox.
Not sure that the 5-speed is any lighter, because the 4-speed is not a lightweight.
But definitely the e-start and associated components do add significant weight.
I'll bet that telephone pole of a muffler with the cataclysmic converter in it is a real boat anchor too.
Even the old Bullet OEM muffler like were on my year bike, were absurdly large and heavy

I only compare it to the new model because I have a 2000 Bullet, and so I draw the comparison to that because it's my reference.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:50:13 pm by ace.cafe »

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 01:58:28 pm
Yes, the UCE bikes have gained a little weight, compared  to the older models.
My 2000 Bullet listed a curb weight of 360 lbs.

After setting up my bike with solo seat and aftermarket muffler and such, it's probably down around 330 lbs. The stock muffler on these bikes weighs a ton.

I'm not really sure where the extra weight is on the UCE, and I have to assume it's in the power  unit,  because the rest is very similar to the older bikes.
But in any case, it's still a manageable weight, even if a bit porky compared to the older models.

If I were to pick out  the most comparable Japanese competitor, that isn't really a dirt bike with a new name, I'd pick the Suzuki S40 Boulevard 600 single, at a curb weight of 381 pounds. http://www.suzuki-bikes.com/2010-suzuki-boulevard-s40/.
So, the G5 would be about 30 pounds heavier than that, but the old Bullets over 20 pounds lighter.
Times change, things get heavier, it seems.

R.E.US is saying that despite the advertised weights, the new UCE bikes are lighter than the old models.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 02:32:47 pm
Maybe it's this "curb weight" vs "dry weight" thing that Scott was talking about earlier.
Perhaps people a few years ago thought that dry weight was curb weight, and used incorrect terms