Author Topic: Run in yet?  (Read 8805 times)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
on: December 01, 2009, 11:22:02 pm
Hi again all,
Just a quick question, I've just clocked up 1600km (1000 miles) on the G5. Is this considered "Run in". I'm not about to go out and flog the guts out of it, just need to feel that  I can run at highway speeds (60 - 70 mph)  for about 120 miles each way without worrying about causing any damage. Your opinions are all very welcome.

Cheers  :)

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:34:52 pm
     It is BARELY broken in. There is no magic mileage that is absolute for break in. that mileage is not a switch: at 999 miles you take it easy then at 1,000 miles you can go full tilt. It doesn't work this way. You have made a good start. From now to about 2,000 miles you can work up the speeds and go a little longer each time. After that you will probably be OK, but I would have concerns about any single cylinder from any manufacturer that would be used to drone along at those speeds for that distance.  Occasional use like this would be fine, but as a daily commute this would accelerate engine wear. I could not tell from your post which use you contemplated. Either way you need to work up to it for a while longer.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 12:10:14 am
Thanks Vince,

It is normally used as a round town commute week days, varying between 30 - 50 mph on  a daily basis, but only for about 10 miles per day maximum. The 120 mile trip probably once or twice a month, I understand what your saying regarding singles at speed, but the trouble is that to leave town you are straight onto the highway 60 mph limit. There are no back roads unfortunately.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Cheers. :)

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 01:55:20 pm
This brings up a good subject for discussion.

My G5 owner's manual offered the standard run-in advice - under 40 mph for the first 300 miles; under 50 mph for the next 300 miles; no full throttle, etc. - advice which I followed religiously.

However, in Kevin's report from India last year, he mentioned a "plateau honing method" for the cylinder walls, reported to virtually eliminate the need for a standard break-in period, and went on to describe UCE bikes taken right off the assembly line and run hard on the track for demonstration purposes.

Obviously there can be little harm in using caution during en engine's first few hundred miles, but I wonder if the old-fashioned break-in period is still really needed, or if the company is simply being conservative in its advice to new owners.

Morrissey

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 03:54:52 pm
I have always erred on the side of caution when breaking in my bikes.  I usually take the manufacturer's suggested break in period and add 50% just to be safe.  If I had an Enfield I would especially take the break in period seriously.  These are not modern machines, they need a little more care and attention to keep them at their best.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 10:22:51 pm
Not true Morressey, the new UCE is every bit a modern made bike, it just looks old. If I ever get one it will be ridden just like those described by Kevin and his bike mag trip to India.

There essentially made like your cars. When was the last time you broke one of them in?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 10:37:49 pm
     The G5 owners manual has break in instructions on pages 44 & 45. I always recommend following the instructions. Go to my website-
http://www.vincesmc.com/myths.html#engine for a more in depth discussion..
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:43:48 pm by Vince »

Marto

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 11:56:53 pm
G Day Hocko.

Great to hear your enjoying the Deluxe. My Classic has just over 2000kms on it now and I basically ride it at highway speeds without question. Its getting better wth  the more k's I put on it.
It used to be really smooth at 80-90kph, now that sweet patch is around 100-105kph. Anything over this speed and the donk really sounds busy. I have occasionally pushed it thru to 130, but its an uncomfortable speed anyway.
The bikes are only 500's remember and to achieve great longevity, you need to be sensible with their use.
I sure I won't get any speeding tickets on mine, and thats why I bought it. Excellent carefree cruising, great looks and bulk character.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 02:22:16 am
    The G5 owners manual has break in instructions on pages 44 & 45. I always recommend following the instructions. Go to my website-
http://www.vincesmc.com/myths.html#engine for a more in depth discussion..
If you live near Olympia,Washington, I heard there was a good RE dealer that enjoys engine warranty work, ....so ride it like you stole it. ;)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 11:22:29 pm
Hi Marto,

Where abouts are you, I'm in North Qld.

Cheers  :)

oldfart

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 08:56:56 pm
I'm brand new to all this but it seems to me if I'm going to buy a bike ofr close to $7k  I damn well better be able to ride it at highway sppeeds or any other sppedd for the matter a lot sooner than what the break-in instructions are in the manual.  I think the important thing is not to abuse the bike and to make sure you varyyour speedds work through all the gear but most importantly ride it the way you intend to use it and do the maintenance as staed in the manual.  The UCE and AVLs for that matter are moderna bikes in every sense of the word except for looks so ride them and break them in as they were modern bikes.  As far as the RE dealship near Olpympia is concerned they don't have any nwe REs on the floor and very few old REs around not to sure how much advice I'd be taking from, someone who doesn't have any moderrn REs to let you demo or to sell you.  Just my humble opinion.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 09:28:10 pm
I'm brand new to all this but it seems to me if I'm going to buy a bike ofr close to $7k  I damn well better be able to ride it at highway sppeeds or any other sppedd for the matter a lot sooner than what the break-in instructions are in the manual.  I think the important thing is not to abuse the bike and to make sure you varyyour speedds work through all the gear but most importantly ride it the way you intend to use it and do the maintenance as staed in the manual.  The UCE and AVLs for that matter are moderna bikes in every sense of the word except for looks so ride them and break them in as they were modern bikes.  As far as the RE dealship near Olpympia is concerned they don't have any nwe REs on the floor and very few old REs around not to sure how much advice I'd be taking from, someone who doesn't have any moderrn REs to let you demo or to sell you.  Just my humble opinion.
Referring to Vince. I am not sure why he doesn't have any G/C5's as you say.Probably a waiting list and or economy reason's ,he will probably chime in. More about Vince ,he is a the only dealer that regularly post with allot of very helpful info.The other guys are probably busy making money.

Now ,I have visited Vince's shop back in Christmas of 2007( he might even remember me) the place was loaded with RE's. Yep, I almost bought the bike I believe Birdmove now rides.(getting scary isn't it?) (I had no way of getting home).
Vince was very helpful and informative.I have no doubt with his knowledge. He  is a real RE enthusiast and stays in the know,though CMW, and who knows he might have a 1-888 number direct to India.

Now all that being said I have given Vince a load of bull more than once on this forum, but he has earned it  though longevity, and always in fun.
Careful about labling, oh I purchase in Alaska due to shipping reasons.

So take it easy on Vince.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Marto

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 09:45:58 pm
G Day Hocko...Marto is my nickname...Greg from ScooterShed. This forum is a great site for feedback eh!

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 10:01:22 pm
Hi Greg, yep great site alright, especially as it has this model specific forum. I've gained a lot out of it, pity ther'e a day behind us  ;)

Cheers

oldfart

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 11:24:08 pm
Referring to Vince. I am not sure why he doesn't have any G/C5's as you say.Probably a waiting list and or economy reason's ,he will probably chime in. More about Vince ,he is a the only dealer that regularly post with allot of very helpful info.The other guys are probably busy making money.

Now ,I have visited Vince's shop back in Christmas of 2007( he might even remember me) the place was loaded with RE's. Yep, I almost bought the bike I believe Birdmove now rides.(getting scary isn't it?) (I had no way of getting home).
Vince was very helpful and informative.I have no doubt with his knowledge. He  is a real RE enthusiast and stays in the know,though CMW, and who knows he might have a 1-888 number direct to India.

Now all that being said I have given Vince a load of bull more than once on this forum, but he has earned it  though longevity, and always in fun.
Careful about labling, oh I purchase in Alaska due to shipping reasons.

So take it easy on Vince.

Sorry didn't mean to pick on Vince(don't know the guy) only was in the shop once a couple months ago, made the drive down only to find no new bikes and only a 2005 sitting on his floor...gorgeous bike if I was a a tinkier I would have gotten it.

I can certianly understand ay dealer saying follow the manual and you can't go wrong so his advice isn't bad but I also know that the breakin advice in the RE manual is the same as the breakin advice in my Kaw eliminator 125  manual and my grandvista 250 manual and if I followed it I won't be able to go the speed limit on most of the streets around my house with any of my new bikes yet.

I actually called the Kawasaki factory to ask them about the breakin period and they said the manual was overly cautious and that the best way to breakin the bike was vary spppeds, shift through all the gears and not to spend too much time on either ned of the sppedo, ride it the way you planned on riding and DO THE MAINTENANCE.  I seems to be working on all 3 new bikes.  It is also the same advice the the dealer in Bellingham gave me when I bought the C5.  Actually rode it home which put 136 miles on it the very first day.

So again my apologies to Vince but I think the manual is way to cautious for the new REs