Author Topic: Speedometer and GPS mph on G5  (Read 3150 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 04, 2009, 12:59:40 am
Just bought a TomTom on Thanksgiving.  So l thought of checking speedometer readings on my G5 versus GPS.  Here are my results.

RE Speedometer       GPS (mph)

20  mph                       18

30   mph                      28

40   mph                      37

50   mph                      46

60  mph                       55

70  mph                       65

80  mph                       75

At lower speeds, the difference between speedometer and acutal speed is only 2 mph (less).  It increases to 5 mph (less than actual) at 60 mph and then remains constantly off by 5 mph (less than actual).  Just to make sure that my TomTom GPS was good, I tested it against my Toyota Corolla car.  The readings were right on.  

On a different topic, I tested the battery since I have 4100 miles on my G5 and it is getting cold.  Before I started the engine, it read 12.4 volts.  After starting, while it was getting charged it jumped slightly to 12.7 volts.  So far it looks fine.  Looks like the battery will be able to handle heated gloves that I intend to use in the next few days to prevent from freezing my hands.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:23:15 am
In the UK, the speedo on vehicles is allowed to read up to 10% high but may not read anything lower than actual.

The Sat Nav is inclined to be more accurate for obvious reasons.

I suspect that the regulations in the US are similar.

To get a true reading of your battery, you really need to test it with a "deep discharge tester". This will give you an Ampere/Hour reading which indicates just how healthy the battery is. When the battery is tested with a volt meter it can only show the volts available at minimal current drain.

Your heated gloves, if used with the engine running, will be powered by the alternator and rectifier. Check the ammeter when they are on and you are riding. If it deflects into the -ve, then you are spending more power than you are making and your battery will have to fund the difference. It will eventually run down.

REgards

TT

REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:52:29 pm
I'm curious as to whether you run the headlight during daytime runs, (i.e. all the time), and the heated gloves are on top of that. My own bike is too new to make any conclusions but I do have the lights on all the time - there's no alarms or anything extra fitted - and I'm hoping this is going to be OK now the temperatures are dropping and starting will probably be more demanding on the battery.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:33:55 am
In the UK, the speedo on vehicles is allowed to read up to 10% high but may not read anything lower than actual.

The Sat Nav is inclined to be more accurate for obvious reasons.

Hello Tim:

Thanks for the above info.  I could never figure out why RE speedo reads higher than actual - because if they can consistently make it read higher then they could also make speedo accurate by minor adjustment.  Now I think that RE have followed UK regulations and kept it reading 10% higher than actual to be on the safe side. 

I have a G5 UCE with electronic fuel injector.  It does not have ammeter or needle that indicates battery charge. I did notice that now I need to use Manual Bi Starter to start the bike.  It is a lever on the left side of handle bar that I guess enriches fuel.  The manual recommends its use below 10C or 50F.  Our temperature hovers around that and goes below sometimes.  We will see how the battery handles the electric load as I start using electric gloves.   

I'm curious as to whether you run the headlight during daytime runs, (i.e. all the time), and the heated gloves are on top of that. My own bike is too new to make any conclusions but I do have the lights on all the time .
Hello Clubman:

My headlight is on all the time.  Heated gloves will be on top of that.  I intend to keep the gloves OFF when I start the motorcycle.  Once the motorcycle is running I will turn ON the heat to gloves. 

Regards Tim and Clubman
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5