Author Topic: So what's the best single modification you/others have made to your Bullet?  (Read 12795 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Just bought an '05 classic and I'm thinking magneto.Its just begging for one.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
the best has been rolling back the clock and undoing as much as possible of the noise and emission restrictions, taking it back to more like its design. Free flowing muffler and air cleaner, made a huge difference. next will be to take the compression back to where it's supposed to be.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Number one modification of all the ones done so far has to be the addition of the duck-bill breather tube. It keeps my chain clean and lubed and costs less than 10 bucks from CMW. I hate to lube chains, this tube emits vapor from the engine breather so the chain stays nice and it doesn't even get all over the rear wheel. EVERYONE should get one.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
The best performance improvement has been when I ported the head and put in some bigger valves (stage 1 head before stage 1 heads). I also put a K&N air filter in the stock air box , the long pipe/short muffler and a 20 tooth countershaft sprocket .
Mine didn't have any emission stuff on it other than the catch can under the battery box and that left with the duckbill.
Aside from that all I did was remove the turn signals and the 8"headlight.
I soon found out that the less time I spent trying to improve it the more time I had to ride it so that's what I've been doing with it lately.
There are a few things I want to do to it in the next few years.
Replace the crank bearings with some good brass caged bearings and replace both the gearbox bearings etc.
This winter I'm going to replace the engine with a new one while I "bulletproof" the old one so I guess I'll have to figure what to do with some of that emission stuff.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Shorty   Muffler.  Have you ran the engine with just the header pipe....WOW, makes those HD boys take notice.     Sweet music......dg

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
I have just fitted a short silencer/muffler along with a new header and a finned alloy cooling ring. I have also dumped all the PAV emissions stuff as well.
Great improvement in the acceleration. Really amazing and the sound is a lot nicer too.
Now just trying to fit a sidestand but the version I have needs mods to fit my 2003 Export right foot four speed model so seller is trying to source another 'correct' one. I can mod this one easily enough though if he can't find the righ one.
Also, fitting a pair of new sintered pads to the rear of the Honda VTR so garden looks a right mechanical mess.  ;D
Only 4*c out there too (no garage you see). So very Brrrrrrrrr:o
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Having no workshop, or garage is a pain in the rear. I have a lot of work to do on two different machines, and no where to do it - grass and gravel are not good places  to work on things. I tend to loose things early on, and spend the rest of the day trying to find them.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Now just trying to fit a sidestand but the version I have needs mods to fit my 2003 Export right foot four speed model so seller is trying to source another 'correct' one. I can mod this one easily enough though if he can't find the righ one.

http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/sidestand-centrallymounted-p-132.html
Here is the sidestand I have on my RT Shift 4 speed.
1972 FLH "Sambo"

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Where it fits onto the footrest support threaded hex bar I notice some have a tube welded into the sidestand bracket at 90*. My supplied stand is just a flat bar so the spacer tube that normally holds the footrest in the correct position length wise would need to be cut. Not difficult but not necessary really if the welded tube type is available. Also, there would need to be a small section ground off the top of the plate to clear the primary case underside.
I think the end of the chrome foot in the pic in the advert shows that it is just the same diameter all the way, yes? The one I have has a spread foot, ie. like its been flattened giving a good footprint area. Having had my Honda keel over last X'mas day after a run out ( but after 2 hours of standing there OK!!!   Grrr) I know the expense/anguish.

Ducati 916 'L' twin

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
That is not like the one that I have. Mine is like the one you describe having a distance tube welded into it.
The one you have in the pic looks almost like the old one that bolted on the front motor mount.
1972 FLH "Sambo"

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
t120

Now that'd be real good to have a fwd mounted one  ;D, but the spacings are right for the footrest support for that fwd mounting hole and the rear bolt in my case here. Like this ones 'footprint' area though as definitely larger than the tube diameter type alone!!!!

Ducati 916 'L' twin

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
I also put on the next higher set of bars and like the feel real well.   Nobody talks about bar changes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how bout some Ape Hangers...........just kiddin.........

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
I also put on the next higher set of bars and like the feel real well. 

I put the 2" DogBone risers on mine...
gives me a more situp straight posture-Mike

[old attachment deleted by admin]
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

LJRead

Amazing what a couple of inches will do to those bars.

Has anyone come across a winshield that can be lowered out of the way when not needed or you want fresh air?  I would like some sort of rain bread I can use just when it is raining.  Might have to engineer something, but it seems like someone might already have done something like this.  I don't want one out of perspex, but would prefer a solid fairing like windscreen.  If the windscreen is too low, there will be a lot of turbulence across it, but maybe some sort of ridge across the top front would break it up or divert it to the sides.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Sometimes LadyLuck smiles on me (but not that often!!!)

The new sidestand wouldn't fit without mods.
Well the guy in India that supplied it said he'd get me the type like we all know with the curved chromed tube all the same diameter. He had supply problems with SamRat so credited my account with ALL the cost (that's the stand and the shipping) so I got a sidestand for free.  ;D
Some mods with an angle grinder to it etc and a spray of fresh paint to the support 'body' saw it fit a treat.
Nice X'mas present from India!!!!!

Ducati 916 'L' twin