Author Topic: condensation outside engine.  (Read 4184 times)

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
on: November 27, 2007, 01:44:25 am
 Anyone else experience this? I've noticed a few times that my enfield engine case, primary cover, and gearbox outer cover will be covered with condensation while sitting in the barn. None of the other bikes out there do this..... but none of them have polished alloy, either.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 02:13:09 am
got cool here in my ky garage,  I have the same thing happening. been raining a lot here 2 and temps going up and down..  I also had by raincover over it..  probably wasn't breathing well enough,,  if yours is open inside, I'd say you need to wax the rest of your machinery as well as you have your RE and they too will no longer be absorbing moisture.. ;) :D :P ;D

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 12:49:40 am
If yours is the Classic with a cast iron barrel that'll be the reason! I have a good few Stationary Engines (ya know the type seen at agricultural shows pumping water etc). They are cast iron and 'sweat' profusely in damp weather. Covering them up completely is terrible for them. A better bet is a well ventilated (underneath) cover that keep off the damp but lets it all 'breath'.
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 09:46:29 pm
Another bad thing about the condensation problem is that it might be happening on the INSIDE!
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 10:16:33 pm
Now that ain't good to hear......inside the engine,,,,,,,hope I got good oil..........d

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 01:16:55 am
Anything consisting of aluminum alloy will get condensation when the humidity and barometric pressure changes combined with a fast temperature change.

Aluminum is an excellent thermal conductor.  More so than iron.  Aluminum will have more condensation than iron, but the iron will rust easier with less moisture present.

All of my bikes have shown condensation on the alloy cases at times in their lives.  Also my aluminum shortblocks in my cars and trucks.

The internal environment of an engine/transmission does not reflect whats on the outside housing in most instances.  Unless water is directly sprayed into the intake, exhaust or breather.

Storage under covers open at the bottom and plugging the muffler end with a shop rag has always served me with no problems.  Some guys use plastic baggies sealed with a rubber band over the muffler end - I think this can trap moisture as indicated by "sweating" on the inside of the baggy.  The shop rag is porous and allows for some breathing.

Regards, Foggy
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 01:18:53 am by Foggy_Auggie »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter