Author Topic: Got a license for that wrench, BUDDY?!  (Read 2074 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 28, 2009, 10:46:42 pm
Murphy's law again;  A simple once over is turning into days of wading through doody.
1)  Is the primary chain adjusting bolt / nut supposed to be tight- or just snug?  Seems like the more I tried to snug the alleged lock nut up, the tighter the chain got.

2) I really had no complaint about my valves, but after reading something >someone< said, I thought I'd tighten up the exhaust valve a hair.  Well- the valve lifter is off the hook.  Sems like I could almost slide it right out (but not quite).  Slippery thing- I tried to hold it with needlenose pliers and tighten the 8mm nut, but nada.  Also, I'm seeing a sort of mushroom-shaped collar that also moved up and down.  Was that there before and I just didn't notice?
Do I have to take the tank and rocker covers off to re-set this thing- or what?
Run what ya brung

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 12:58:48 am
  The primary adjuster lock nut I just get snug.  But I also hold the head of the adjuster bolt.  The cups you see under the valve adjusters are the followers..always been there, they ride on the cam lobes.  Little bit of futzing around with the valves should cure everything.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 02:22:19 am
So can I just puts around till I get it hooked up, or do I need to take the rocker covers off?
Run what ya brung

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 02:52:46 am
  Would be easier with the rocker covers off..that way you could see both ends and make sure everything is lined up and correctly adjusted before you buttoned it up.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:10:11 am
Yeah- I figured.  Wouldn't kill me to torque the head bolts while I'm in there.

Maybe I'll go for a ride first, so the whole day doesn't end up shot.  It's supposed to rain Monday, anyway (come to think of it...)
Run what ya brung

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 03:52:21 am
Seems I dropped the valve lifter enought to get it to fall out from unmder the rocker, but now I can'r drop it far enought -again- to get it back under.  Sort of like a Chinese puzzle...  Slippery bugger, too...
Run what ya brung

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 11:52:33 am
  Did the same thing on wifeys Electra..just can't remember how I got it to go back together.  Wasn't hard, just tedious.  Good Luck, Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 10:01:21 pm
Since I figure many people are losing sleep fretting the outcome of this;

Looks like what happened is I thought I got TDC- but didn't.  After I adjusted the valves, I think the exhaust lifter went down further and the rod slipped off again.  Unbeknownst to me, I think the engine back-fired a bit...

Soooo- I've been using the kick-starter and didn't notice anything.  But I used the E-start button today and heard a loud "WHAM".  That tells me the sprag is broken (again).    I rode it home OK, but I guess I'll open up the primary (again) and look for bits.  If there are no bits, I assume it will be safe to ride and I'll just leave it alone and keep using the kick-starter. 

I suppose I may as well just take the starter off completely.  I'll look around here to see what's involved.  I kind of wish the decomressor was a teensy bit easier to use (like the iron barrels are), but it is what it is.  I'll drain the oil Friday so I can feel safer going on the Toy Run Sunday. 
Run what ya brung

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 11:56:48 pm
Ya know, you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "Who's your Unk?"

Well, that being said, I have often thought about that, and being basically cheap and having faith in the ability of some tig or mig welders ( I guess you can tell I'm not one ), I thought of having them close up the gash where to starter messed up the looks of the bike. Polish it up, or paint it black and go down the road. You'll never make it look factory but you can make it look good or custom. Yeah, that's it, forget factory or good, custom is what we're after. There are not rules on custom!  ;D

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 01:16:51 am
In response to your wish for a more effective decompresser.... I lengthened the lever on the valve adjustment cover by one inch and it made for a much more useful decompresser.

Jerry

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 01:54:15 am
That sounds interesting!  I can't remember what it looks like now...
What did you do?
Run what ya brung

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 02:06:04 am
I cut it in two, then welded in a 1 inch piece .  I added a plate to locate the cable in the correct position.  Then I spray painted it. 

Much easier to lift the valve.

Jerry.