Author Topic: Exhaust swap  (Read 6343 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 26, 2009, 12:52:02 am
A review of the posts reveals that changing the exhaust to the classic version increases the efficiency of the engine. A a result the engine runs cooler.

Is it easy to change the exhaust ? Is it simply a process that involves unscrewing the old one out and screwing th enew one in, or it it more complicated than that ? I am reasonably handy but have never tried my hand at bikes.

Thanks.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 01:51:59 am
 Easy to change. A few nuts and bolts and usually a little bending of the bracketry.

Re jetting the carby to match the new exhaust is a bit more time consuming.
Your dealer or a reputable bike shop should be able to handle that for you If you prefer.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 05:26:44 pm

Re jetting the carby to match the new exhaust is a bit more time consuming.
Your dealer or a reputable bike shop should be able to handle that for you If you prefer.

I do not have an enfield dealer around. Do you think a regular motorcycle mechanic will be able to do the carb jetting/tuning on my AVL.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 06:01:54 pm
 I don't see why not. Its relatively simple to do. Many forum members here do it themselves. There are a some threads on the subject.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 02:59:22 am
  Swapping exhausts about 1 1/2 hour job (including coffee break), carb rejet depends on how much you have to change jets to get it sorted out.  Probably an hour or so if you change all the jets and raise/lower the needle height.  All can be done with common hand tools.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:48:39 pm
  Swapping exhausts about 1 1/2 hour job (including coffee break), carb rejet depends on how much you have to change jets to get it sorted out.  Probably an hour or so if you change all the jets and raise/lower the needle height.  All can be done with common hand tools.  Will.

I have a 2009 AVL Electra. I want to replace the stock exhaust to open up th eengine a bit and to improve the sound, and rejet it to match. I guess I would also get an air filter to match. Could you please provide details on which exhaust and jet to get.

I could consider replacing the exhaust myself, and then take it to a local mechanic to figure out the jet and air filter, but that does not bring the satisfaction of DIY.

Many Thanks.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 10:06:37 pm
  Depends on what exhaust air filter system you want, and what your altitude is.  I slid a cocktail shaker on wifey's Electra, removed the PAV, used the original head pipe, installed a K & N air cleaner, and went to a 22.5 main/125 pilot jet and it runs out fine.  I have less than a $100 in miods.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 11:02:56 pm
  Depends on what exhaust air filter system you want, and what your altitude is.  I slid a cocktail shaker on wifey's Electra, removed the PAV, used the original head pipe, installed a K & N air cleaner, and went to a 22.5 main/125 pilot jet and it runs out fine.  I have less than a $100 in miods.  Will.

I am at sea level. Did you actually put a coacktail shaker or is it a term for a very small exhaust. I am probably never going to ride it on a highway but will almost always have a passenger . I guess the extra HP from the mod will help.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 11:14:06 pm
  Cocktail shaker muffler looks like a cocktail shaker.  More open and throaty, but not annoying as some of the other mufflers available.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 09:10:57 pm
Other than standard tools will I need some kind of glue/sealant to seal the junction between the header pipe and muffler.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:28:39 pm
Depends on how well it goes on, ie; tight.  Line up everything first, and then put a good bead of RTV Silicone around the area pipe that goes into the head.  That will seal any possible leaks there.  After you bolt the collar down, don't ride the bike for 24 hours to give the silicone time to cure.

On another note;  I don't know how the Electra set-up is because I have a Classic, but I would recommend using a rubber grommet between the muffler brace and the frame tab.  Hopefully that will lessen damage from vibrations.  Mine broke...
Run what ya brung

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 03:56:29 am
AVL bikes have two mounting bolts on a flange around the exhaust header that bolt into the head.  Not the one tab on the IB
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 04:32:51 am
i really dis like the silicon...  used it once

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 03:45:01 pm
i really dis like the silicon...  used it once

Yeah?  And...?

Did you use RTV or regular?  What did/didn't happen?  What did you do instead?
Run what ya brung

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 11:58:52 pm
used the hight temp stuff.. and within 100 miles the exhaust was leaking again.. checked the flange on the pipe and found it was welded crooked and even 2 gaskets wouldn't work..  the silicon was a real pain to get out of the head.. had to use 3.25 reading glasses.. a sharp knife , that was dull after i got through  and 3m scotch brite pads.. and about one hr later of motorcycle arobics.. I had all the gunk out.. the paste is a little easier to get out.  i really need to invest in a lift..standing on my head gives me a headache ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:40:14 am by scoTTy »