Author Topic: Shamelessly seeking some encouragement or advice!  (Read 38412 times)

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
  • Finally... something exciting between my legs.
Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 05:17:41 am

pic 4
your horn fell off, those leads went to it, it was located in that general area.

Love the pictures.... Great fun..

my horn!!!  :D That's why it never worked!  I had done forgotten about it.  Thanks a heap for the info on my mystery parts.

I'm glad my pictures amuse you. I'm sure I'll have plenty more ridiculous noobie questions and pictures in the future.  I'm having a blast learning about engines as I piddle with things.  I know it was a silly simple repair to replace a sparkplug and battery.  But when she fired up after that it was way too exciting!  I'd love to learn more but there is so much information around that it is a bit overwhelming knowing where to start.

bullethead63,
About the choke.  Do I have it backwards?? Do  I win noob award of the year?!  I pull it up to start it, it putts along just fine, push it down and it dies.  I will take a good look at all my hoses and look for any cracks as soon as I see daylight tomorrow, and fix anything that needs fixing.  Or at least try to, then call my mechanic when I fail.

I waited a long time to buy this bike and this silver one caught my eye.  If I could get it running well maybe my harley friends would stop bullying me. Probably not.  "You bought a Royal what?!"

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 05:40:05 am
You should buy (or borrow) a Bullet manual,and familiarize yourself with the basic engine components,what and where they are,and why and how they work...you'll be glad that you did...The choke (enricher) is a bit confusing...when you pull it UP,it's off...I rarely have to use mine...when you push it DOWN,it's on,and that's why your Bullet quits...I only have to use mine when it's really cold outside,and the Bullet has been sitting for a couple of days...and as far as horns go,you can get a really loud one on eBay,or from CMW,or J.C.Whitney...I think that I'm going to get a nice,loud "Ah-oogah" type Klaxon horn...they're not too expensive...and it looks like your seat is just like mine...where did you get it?
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 05:52:16 am
Hey Bug_Catcher,
Br's Garbone and Bullethead are spot on.

Also since your bullets horn has gone missing you can have mine for free.
( No worries, this gives me the perfect excuse to install my lucky Suzuki horn ;))
You can PM me a shipping address that works for you if you like.

Don't worry about the ribbing your currently getting from your H-D friends.
That will change after a couple of group rides,,,believe me  ;D.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 06:25:33 am
ok! I'll get myself a good Bullet manual.  I've bought a few books on basic engine repair but they are so broad it isn't helping me much.  It's giving me a good idea on how engines work but leaves me in the dark when I try to actually find this stuff on my bullet.  An Enfield manual would be a great help I'm sure.

I would gladly accept your greasy old horn!  As mine is M.I.A.  I was just going to put one of these on:

So yeah, gonna try to ride with the choke in the proper position tomorrow  8)  I'll figure out that ES some other day.  I'm determined to go for a ride tomorrow whether or not I have to push her up a hill and roll down making my own 'plop plop' noises.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 10:38:37 am
I just got a 95 bullet with a busted horn..  I ordered one of these,,

http://www.aerostich.com/ear-cannon-air-horn.html

I have yet to install it but from the reviews I imagine it works well..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 02:04:08 pm
I only use a horn when the guy in front of me falls asleep at the red light. 
I do have a faux jewel-encrusted bulb horn on the bars to pass inspection.   Just keep in mind that you are invisible and do NOT expect any driver to see you. 

You need a battery tender for motorcycles.  It's easy to put the leads on the battery and then zip-ties the plug to your frame.  Get a hydrometer (looks like a big eye-dropper with coloured balls in it) and some distilled water so you can check the fluid lever once in a while.  Battery tenders (or warm weather for that matter) can evaporate the fluid through the plugs on top.  The lever should never get below the bottom line.

I recommend you NOT use the E-stat until you get your idling issues fixed.  Belive me- it doesn't take much to blow the E-start mechanism (sprag gear, inside).
Run what ya brung

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #36 on: December 25, 2009, 11:11:44 am
Congrats on your new bike Bug_catcher.
 If   the hieght of the bike is an issue for you, have you considered buying aftermarket shock absorbers for the back suspension? Shorter shocks is a old trick for lowering the back half of the bike and very a simple process. A shock 1-2 inices shorter would make quite a difference. As long as there is room  for the rear wheel under the fender...say 3 inches you should be ok. Just  dont let a big guy jump on it as the tire will bottom out. That combined with your lowerd solo seat and ya should be able  to put  your feet  flat on the ground. I bet this  would be a great help at those  stops you posted about. Don't give up. these bikes are easily modifed and great fun.
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #37 on: December 26, 2009, 01:19:42 am
Talk about bitterly ironic...the day after I tell you that you'll REALLY be needing the horn,I get to work and my horn was dangling by it's wires...the L bracket had broken off right at the bolt ...I managed to re-mount it (temporarily) with some field expedient engineering (jury rigging),but now I've gotta get ME a new horn...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: December 28, 2009, 08:40:46 pm
It's me again!  :D  Are you sick of me yet?!

Alright, idol issue is resolved!  Once she is started she purrs like a tiger at stops.  With the new solo seat I'm completely comfortable putt-putting around town.  We had a wonderful Friday together and felt like she was finally starting to bond with me.  I parked my bike in a parking lot full of Harley choppers that must've cost those poor suckers 30k each, and watched as all those choppers got totally ignored as they came over to stare at my little Enfield.

It was short lived though.  :-[  I woke up bright and early today to go out again and now she's not starting.  The battery had been dead, so Friday I was kick starting, and it usually takes me 10-20 kicks anyways but I blame that on user error and girly leg strength.  This morning I kicked her till I was blue and gave up.  Hooked a battery charger up and let it sit.  Around 5 hours I went to try again and I'm still getting nothing from the E starter.  Checked the charger to be sure it was ok.  Fluids are all ok, lights flicker when I try to start but that encouraging brr brrrr noise has now disappeared.  Kicked her until I was blue again :-\  just gave me a lot of huffing and wouldn't budge.

So, what would be the next step?  I haven't fixed that manifold intake leak, but I got it taped real good and the smoke is not leaking from the air filter box anymore, so I figured I was ok for now.  Though I have been known to be wrong... well most of the time.  :D

I got into an argument with her over her starting behavior.  We are seeking counseling.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: December 28, 2009, 09:11:15 pm
Gas on?
Kill switch off?
Gas in tank?
Key on?
Sidestand up?
In neutral?
Run what ya brung

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: December 28, 2009, 09:25:07 pm
Gas on?
Kill switch off?
Gas in tank?
Key on?
Sidestand up?
In neutral?

Gas on?  Yes
Kill switch off? Yes
Gas in tank? Yes
Key on? Yes
Sidestand up? N/A
In neutral? Yes

Kicked it? Yes

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #41 on: December 28, 2009, 09:26:42 pm
So, you finally have something exciting between your legs? I agree, but it's a Bullet, and that can be painful at times. I suggest you find someone in your area with some experience and shake the problems out . Usually once this is done it behaves well and you will be educated enough to deal with the little quirks. My hats off to you, you must have "Grown Them Balls" . Stay with it, and you will become a member a very small (but proud)fraternity.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: December 28, 2009, 09:33:47 pm
You need to check your battery voltage at the battery terminals, should be around 12.60 volts or better. Don't ride without fixing the manifold hose ,it will run too lean which could lead to engine damage.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:39:38 pm by Bullet.wagon »
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #43 on: December 28, 2009, 09:36:49 pm
With your battery charged use your decompressor to slowly kick the bike through a full rotation, at some point you should see your ammeter move to the left when your points close... If that happens you might have a fuel issue.   If you don't get the deflection you have a points or coil issue..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: December 28, 2009, 09:49:03 pm
Mystery solved!  I started following wires and found one that had popped loose, reconnected it and it fired right up.  No idea what it was but oh well!  Works now.  :P  I knew it was going to be something silly easy.

Getting the manifold fixed Thursday.  My local mechanics hate my bike, they told me to give up and buy a real bike.  ::)  I don't trust them!  They dropped it off whining that it was idoling like crap.  I leaned over and turned the choke off and told them that usually helps. 

Ammeter is deflecting.  So if I still have any issues after the manifold fix I'll look into any possible fuel issues.