Author Topic: Shamelessly seeking some encouragement or advice!  (Read 38372 times)

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
  • Finally... something exciting between my legs.
on: November 25, 2009, 11:03:10 pm
Hello!  I'm new around here.  I'm about to ramble, sorry.

About two months ago I purchased an 03' Royal Enfield bullet 500.  I fell in love with British bikes, especially the Enfield, after spending a summer riding around with a group of enthusiasts.  I had wanted a bike ever since I was quite young, but it was always talk and I never went through with it.  The guy I always rode with finally pushed me into 'growing some balls', stop talking, and go out to get my first bike.  So I ran out and took the MSF course, had no problems or confidence issues, and got my license before I started shopping for a bike.  I was set on buying a bullet.

Now the guy I used to ride with wouldn't let me drive his bike around, but he would let me practice putting it up on the center stand, sitting on it and pushing it around to feel its weight, kickstarting it, and do other little things he thought I should practice.

So here I am, two month old proud owner of a cute little bullet, and I've hardly touched the thing.  I'm dying to go riding but so far the experience has been pretty confidence crushing.  I dropped the bike 3 times the first day, and cannot for the life of me lift the thing.  Meaning I haven't been able to go very far without having someone follow me to help me lift the damn thing if I drop it.  I think most of the issues come from my height and strength.  I'm 5'2 and about 100 pounds.  After my MSF course I rode around for about a month on a very short Honda Rebel.  I know there are plenty of bikes that can't be lifted by full grown men, so people told me not to worry about it, but I NEVER dropped or felt like I was going to drop that Honda.  I would like that feeling with the Enfield.

So here are my issues, and if I can't figure out a way around them it's going to break my heart to get rid of this bike, but I feel like I'm just bruising her up and ruining her while someone else could be enjoying her.  None of my issues are with the driving itself.  When I get her going its a blast, and she's a breeze to drive!  EVERYTHING on my issue list is simply starting, stopping, and parking the thing.  Which makes this the more depressing.

-The bike feels VERY top heavy compared to the rebel, will getting my feet more on the floor help this feeling?  Right now I can't even push and turn it at the same time because it will topple.  I can't stop or start on any inclines either.  My feet dangle when its on its center stand, pushing it forward to pop it loose usually leads to me dropping it.  :'(

1.) I can't get it on the center stand.  It hasn't been that much of a problem as it has an ES and kickstart, but I would love to be able to kickstart it.  I don't remember having this issue when messing with my friend's bike.  I could stand on it and with a bit of effort I could pull it up.  My bike just starts to slide backwards when I try this (that was my first drop by the way)  Any suggestions? He must have a different stand thats available?

2.) Speaking of side stands, the sidestand that is on there is pathetic, and the slightest lean will push the bike over.  It makes me nervous to leave it on that stand, as a bunny kick could probably top it over. And we have a lot of bunnies around here :-\  Is there a better one out there that will fit the bike?

3.) With the dropping it issue.  I assume this is mostly because of my height, trying to balance a top heavy 500 pounds on your tippy toes isn't easy for me.  I've ordered one of the slim dual seats, hoping that it helps a bit.  Is actually lowering the whole bike a good idea?  Would the cost be worth it?  My biggest issue isn't the drop itself but picking it back up. Would an engine guard help it land halfway?  All the guards I've seen required the removal of the side stand. (see issue #1)

P.S If I have to drive a Honda Rebel around in order to get riding again you might as well shoot me.  >:(

P.SS Am I just being a pussy?? Is this all a confidence issue?  Someone slap me into shape and get me back on my bike please!

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 11:20:00 pm
Do like me... own both. I think with practice you'll get the hang of it. Sort of like when your right handed but you need to use your left. Maybe Vince will chime in ,the sales guys have great experiance with all customers.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 11:21:37 pm
1. When I put my rig on the center stand I dismount the bike and stand on the centerstand knob on the left side of the stand and lift the bike onto it via the handle. It rolls right up on the stand, much easier to do that way.

2. I have the lower priced sidestand from CMW that mounts behind the left footpeg.  It is very stable, of course I don't use it on dirt or grass.  Sounds like you have the forward mounted crap adjustable one.

3. Being 5'2" you might have an issue with a short inseam.  Do both your feet touch the ground?  If not you might want to try for a lower after market seat.  

An engine guard would help lifting,  have you tried to turn back to the bike, bend at the knees and lift with both hands?  

Good luck...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 11:33:12 pm
I'm sure others will chime in with helpful information as well, but here's my thoughts.

CENTER STAND:  It got easy for me once I got past the notion of lifting the bike onto the stand or that it involved me standing on the lever to lift it.  I think a very light person can do it once you get the technique.  Stand to the side of the bike and use the lever of the stand to get a firm grip on the ground and then using both the handle and one hand on the handlebars, I pull it backwards onto the stand.  If I put any of my weight into it, it is more in leaning backwards to pull it back onto the stand rather than trying to make my weight lift the whole bike straight up onto it.  See if you can get someone to stand on the opposite side of the bike while you practice, so you've got a safety net.  Once find the right part of your foot to put on the lever and get the motion right, it takes very little effort.

SIDE STAND:  It sounds like you have the older style of sidestand that mounts towards the front.  There is a stand available from our hosts that is centrally mounted and pretty stable.  I think you would benefit from getting it.  If you have a dealer nearby, they may even have it in stock (otherwise, you can just order it from our hosts).  I got mine from Vince (my nearest dealer - had 'em in stock).  Here's a link:
http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sidestand
I have the 49 dollar one, although the adjustable one looks nice too.

DROPPING THE BIKE:  Engine guards can make the bike a little easier to pick up after dropping.  They also may help prevent some minor damage from fallovers.  If you get one of the centrally mounted stands, it won't interfer with engine bars.  I would suspect that the lower seat will help as well.  I will have to defer to those more knowledgeable than I about lowering the bike beyond that.

No, you're not a pussy!  It's not even just confidence.  It's just some simple techniques to handle the weight of the bike that are necessary.  It's easier for big heavy people to just manhandle it , but with the right techniques most anyone can do it easily.

Eamon
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:39:51 pm by Eamon »
Eamon

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 11:43:10 pm
Bug,

You Gotta Keep Tryin Buddy! You'll get there. 

Try to get some lifts put in your boots if possible, to give you a little more height.

Go to the gym, do lots of leg presses and bench pressing along with sit-ups and crunches. To be truly safe on a bike you need some muscle, I was your size a while ago but with beer, spaghetti, and age I have put on a few pounds of both fat and muscle. I am a bit taller (5'9") but I have short legs (29-30" inseam) so I feel your pain there. I have to be slightly tippy toed to put my feet down.

The Idea is that if you are a bit stronger you'll be able to handle the bike in emergency maneuvers better, and the regular stuff will be a breeze. 

Use the method suggested earlier of getting off the bike and then stand on the center stand peg and lift at the handle.

As far as starting goes, follow the recommended procedure for staring a well tuned RE, and you should be able to Kick Start it with ease. For help with that watch the you tube video, just search for "starting a Royal Enfield".

"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 11:51:31 pm
I should note that I have in fact dropped my bike once and it was a Helluva Bitch to get her back up. I have a Military however and was able to use the "stand with back to bike" method and grabbed the crash bar and worked at it until I could get her up.

I was trying to park in the grass at a festival, I even had a side stand board to keep the side stand from sinking, but the damn thing broke when I put the weight on it and it caught me off guard...

Keep at it man, you can do it! The bullet will support you if you support her. Get to know every little thing about her, keep on top of maintenance and repairs, and she'll take good care of you.

"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 11:59:07 pm
I dropped mine when I released the high side tie down first when the bike was sitting in my truck bed on it side stand. CLANK.   Talk about a bitch,  try lifting a partially inverted bike over the sidestand sitting in the back of an F-150.  Spilled some gas that time....
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 12:07:06 am
I dropped mine when I released the high side tie down first when the bike was sitting in my truck bed on it side stand. CLANK.   Talk about a bitch,  try lifting a partially inverted bike over the sidestand sitting in the back of an F-150.  Spilled some gas that time....

I dropped mine while trying to put it on the center stand while standing on wet leaves (just like butter on a hot skillet).  One of my feet went out from under me, closely followed by the bike.  Naturally, there was a small crowd of people watching me embarass myself!  Probably a little easier to get it back up than in the back of a truck though!

Eamon
Eamon

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 12:40:28 am
Hey, BugCatcher, you remind me of myself about two years ago (except for the short[excuse me, "vertically challenged"] part). I first saw an Enfield about seven years ago and went all gaga and dreamy. It took me awhile though to get my sh*t together and get a license, all the while knowing exactly what I would buy once I did. When I read about you not being able to use the centerstand I hadda laugh. You should have seen ME the first two weeks. My girlfriend had to help me a few times. It was mortifying. But it's all technique, as I subsequently learned. Do EXACTLY as Eamon says in the previous post and you can't go wrong. You'll wonder what the fuss was all about. As for the seat, for what it's worth, the premium solo seat sold by CMW (our gracious host), is considerably lower than the stocker. And there is a choice of spring heights as well. My bike has one with 3" springs and my girl (about 5' 2") and can touch down solidly on her toes with the bike off the centerstand. The point is, don't give up on the bike too quickly. You'll get the hang of this stuff. And when you do you'll have one of THE coolest (and best looking) motorcycles around. And don't forget, you have about a thousand years of collected wisdom right here on this forum for when the fun (read: maintenance) really starts. ;D Mazel Tov, and good luck with the new bike.   Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 12:52:27 am
     Most of your issues revolve around a simple lack of knowledge. Gary has the right technique to use the center stand. Stand beside the bike. Hold the handlebar only to keep the front end straight. place both feet of the stand in even contact with the ground and put your weight on the tab. Lift the bike with the lift handle that should be bolted to the left upper shock mount. It will take practice, but you will master the technique. Do as Eamon suggests and have someone spot you while you practice.
     When you push it  get off the bike. Trying to push while straddling the seat is a sure fire way to drop it. Stand beside the bike. Lean the bike into your hip. The 2 wheels and your feet now make a stable tripod. To move the bike you steer with your hands, but you push with your legs. (Tip: make sure the tire pressure is up. The bike will roll easier.)
     The best way to lower the bike is to get the Classic Solo saddle. Then mount it directly to the frame. Don't use the springs that come with the mount kit. This will make it easier to mount and dismount. However, contrary to what the MSF taught you, you don't need to put both feet on the ground. You don't ride it that way. You merely need to be able to hold it up at a stop. With the shorter seat that is more  narrow at the front it will be easy to to shift to one side as you come to a stop and put one foot firmly on the ground.
     Picking up a dropped bike also involves a proper  technique. Invest in engine guards. This will minimize damage and make it easier to lift. At the angle the bar will hold the bike you can put the small of your back into the tank and/or seat and use your legs to lift. legs are generally stronger than upper body.
     You are psyching yourself out. With a full tank the bike weighs barely 400
pounds. You are not bench pressing this. You only need to use leverage to roll the bike back onto the wheels. Most of the weight of the bike stays in contact with the ground.
     The side stand that was mentioned that mounts near the foot peg will be more stable than the old style you have.
       You are not alone. We all started like this. Take your time. You will get it.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 01:36:44 am
Hi Bug_Catcher,

Welcome aboard and congrats on your bike.

Much good advice given already so all I can add is, technique and leverage do make all the difference. Just ask the members with joints and ligaments that have" aged before their owners did"  ;)

My technique for getting my bike up on the center stand is a more  "pull back and lift" than just lift.

No doubt you will find what works for you.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 02:33:47 am
I can't tell you how many times I've asked a stranger to help me pick up my bike.
The couple of times it was on top of me, there's always a couple of guys in a pick-up that stop and offer to help. 
Get a lower seat.  When I had even less money than I have now, I just made a seat by stapping a small pillow on the frame.  Hey- it's my bike.  I can do anything I want.  Learn to move your butt around so you can get a foot down.
Like Vince said, when pushing or backing up, rest the bike on your hip.

Here's how to pick a bike up; 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6_2VqSHBw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MPyX0QCYw

If it falls on the other side, do pretty much the same while holding on to the front brake.
Run what ya brung

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 03:00:37 am
500 pounds? Mine is 360 . The lightest street bike I've ever had. Maybe Steriods would help?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 03:20:47 am
I think a low mounted solo seat is the answer to getting your feet on the ground, when you are at a stop..
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
  • Finally... something exciting between my legs.
Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 05:56:52 am
Do like me... own both. I think with practice you'll get the hang of it.

The thought of buying a smaller, easier bike until I become more experienced did come to mind actually.  I just couldn't afford it at the moment!

Sounds like you have the forward mounted crap adjustable one.

3. Being 5'2" you might have an issue with a short inseam.  Do both your feet touch the ground?
Yes!  I have that crappy forward mounted one.

I can put most of my foot on the ground as long as I'm not on the center stand.  Like I said, once I get going I haven't had any drops or issues.  It's more controlling the weight when I dismount or try to work with the kickstands.  Or god forbid I have to push it somewhere like I did last week.

I'm sure others will chime in with helpful information as well, but here's my thoughts.

CENTER STAND:  It got easy for me once I got past the notion of lifting the bike onto the stand or that it involved me standing on the lever to lift it.  I think a very light person can do it once you get the technique.  Stand to the side of the bike and use the lever of the stand to get a firm grip on the ground and then using both the handle and one hand on the handlebars, I pull it backwards onto the stand.  If I put any of my weight into it, it is more in leaning backwards to pull it back onto the stand rather than trying to make my weight lift the whole bike straight up onto it.  See if you can get someone to stand on the opposite side of the bike while you practice, so you've got a safety net.  Once find the right part of your foot to put on the lever and get the motion right, it takes very little effort.

SIDE STAND:  It sounds like you have the older style of sidestand that mounts towards the front.  There is a stand available from our hosts that is centrally mounted and pretty stable.  I think you would benefit from getting it.  If you have a dealer nearby, they may even have it in stock (otherwise, you can just order it from our hosts).  I got mine from Vince (my nearest dealer - had 'em in stock).  Here's a link:
http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sidestand
I have the 49 dollar one, although the adjustable one looks nice too.

DROPPING THE BIKE:  Engine guards can make the bike a little easier to pick up after dropping.  They also may help prevent some minor damage from fallovers.  If you get one of the centrally mounted stands, it won't interfer with engine bars.

No, you're not a pussy!  It's not even just confidence.  It's just some simple techniques to handle the weight of the bike that are necessary.
Thanks a bunch for the link!  I'll look into getting a different side stand asap.  Great to know the engine guards will work around it too.  And I appreciate the kind words and not confirming my pussiness hahaa.

Bug,

You Gotta Keep Tryin Buddy! You'll get there. 

Try to get some lifts put in your boots if possible, to give you a little more height.

Go to the gym, do lots of leg presses and bench pressing along with sit-ups and crunches. To be truly safe on a bike you need some muscle, I was your size a while ago but with beer, spaghetti, and age I have put on a few pounds of both fat and muscle. I am a bit taller (5'9") but I have short legs (29-30" inseam) so I feel your pain there. I have to be slightly tippy toed to put my feet down.

I started working out a whole lot more after my MSF course actually!  Of course as a girl my arm and chest strength are pretty pathetic no matter how much I hit the gym, but I'll keep working at it!  Thanks for the advice.  I'll look into heeled riding boots, I used to have some nice ones. 

I'll admit I NEVER thought of lifting the bike with my back facing it. I had never seen that done before.  Might not work with the current kickstand, but that video showing a bunch of girls lifting bikes was rather encouraging once I get better equipment.

UncleErnie: Great links!  I've honestly never seen that technique before. 

Thanks everyone, I'll look into a solo seat, a new stand, and a guard.  Tomorrow I'll get my big girl pants on and try to find a friend spot me while I try to get a hang of the centerstand.

Thanks everyone!  I'll let you know how it goes!