Author Topic: UCE Starting  (Read 3031 times)

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
on: November 25, 2009, 07:17:42 pm
I'm aware that the advent of Electronic Ignition on car and bike engines has almost totally eliminated the "morning chorus" of starter motors chugging around on cold frosty mornings while petrol engines resisted being woken from their slumbers.

Explain to my son that you had to follow a pre-determinned routine to the letter or face failure and he doesn't believe me.

Well, here's the question. Does the UCE engine live up to this standard, first time - every time on the button?

I ask as an Electra X (AVL) owner, as it's never been a good starter and I'm sorry to say that I find myself looking around at alternatives.
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:03:28 pm
I have never had a problem starting my G5 yet, although the coldest weather I've started it in was in the low 40s F. Just turn on the key, switch it to run, and wait a couple seconds for the MIL and fuel pump to come on and shut off, then push the starter button and it fires right up. There is a " manual bi starter" choke like lever that the manual says to hold down while starting at temperatures colder than 50 F. or at high altitudes, but I have never used it.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 10:25:13 pm
As with Chris-G5 I've never had a problem starting, I've also never used the choke to start. The only thing I have noticed is that it is reluctent to start hot with the kick starter.
It used to take only one or two, but lately after a good run five or six is not out of the question snd then I just give up and push the button for an instant start.

Cheers

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 10:35:14 pm
My C5 always starts instantly ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 04:30:14 am
The starting of the UCE engines in generally quite good. If not something is not right. The choke like lever basically richens up the mixture before the O2 sensor heats up and kicks in.
I am concerned however about why your AVL isn't starting well. When an iron barrel doesn't start within a couple of kicks something is wrong. Usually a bad plug, timing or some other piece of maintenance that has not been done. (replacing the rubber intake hose).

The AVL requires much less maintenance and of course has electronic ignition that is always right on. Your bike should start well. If not there is something simple wrong. I would encourage you to change the spark plug and if that doesn't help check your valve adjustment and battery condition.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 05:25:02 pm
The AVL requires much less maintenance and of course has electronic ignition that is always right on. Your bike should start well. If not there is something simple wrong. I would encourage you to change the spark plug and if that doesn't help check your valve adjustment and battery condition.
Kevin, I really appreciate your concern. This is, however, a bike supplied through the UK importer. As you will know, the stock AVL Electra needed to be modified to get a reasonable amount of HP out of it, thus removing the contraining elements that got it through our emmissions requirements.

Following that, it has never been a good starter. Four sprags and one rebuilt engine (main bearing failure) later, all as waranty or at least Importer's free issue of spares, you will understand why I'm peering over the fence at a bike that comes without the need to modify or chop about and that starts when you want it to.

I just want a bike that does what it says on the tin.

And yes, all of the prescribed sprag clutch mods are fitted.

I don't want to get into a spit slinging contest here about the standard of UK importers and dealers and their shortcommings. Sufficit to say that they could learn so much from your operation.
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL