Author Topic: Tyre Pressures  (Read 4817 times)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
on: November 28, 2009, 07:28:17 am
Hi folks,

My Clubman is fitted with Avon Roadrider tyres. The EFI handbook gives pressures for solo riding of front 18psi and rear 28psi but I am guessing Avon is not the original tyre fitment. The Avon website gives Roadrider figures as 27 front and 29 rear. These figures are for 500 Electra onwards. EFI is not a separate option. Link is here.

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorbike/bullet-electra-500

My feeling is to go with the Avon figures. What say you?

Thanks in advance.

BIO BLT

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 01:30:34 pm
I have the new Trials EFI...handbook says the same.. despite having Ensign Universal Trials Tyres....go with the Avon figures I would say.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 06:16:31 pm
     This is what I have found to work best for all round use. It works for any tire on any street motorcycle.
      Look for the max PSI figure stamped in the sidewall. For normal running the minimum inflation pressure should be within 10% of this on the rear. The front minimum should be within 10% of the rear. This means that if you have a 42# tire the minimum PSI will be 38# rear (10% of max), and 34# front (10% of the rear). This will give the best overall handling, wet of dry,  with good wear characteristics. Lower pressures will give a somewhat smoother ride, but at the expense of some wear and handling.
     For extended runs, particularly with heavier loads or high sustained speeds, go to max PSI front and rear. The tire will run cooler because of less squirming. This will give better wear than a hot tire will. The difference in contact patch is negligible unless the tire is grossly under-inflated.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:30:38 pm
Brilliant. Thanks guys.
 :)