Author Topic: Speedo dancing like crazy  (Read 4578 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 11, 2007, 10:47:12 pm
My speedo worked fine at first, but the more miles I put on it, the more erratic it becomes. I now have no idea how fast I am going once I pass 60 mph. I pulled the cable from the housing and it is nor frayed. There is enough lubricant. I'd replace the cable, but don't want the expence if the speedo is the problem.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:18:56 am
look for kinks along the main wire.. 

you mean you can do 60?

sell me your speedometer   I feel the need for speed  ;D :D ;)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:45:27 am
I didn't notice any place it might be binding, but I'll check again. I can spin the cable with my fingers from the front wheel and the speedo reacts.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 02:55:07 am
the seedo reacts...   ??? ,,,, hmmm the gears mis mating..   need to be lubed the whole length in  case the cable is dry in the sheath?....   if it's jumping,,,, something is dry or mismatched I would think

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 06:26:41 pm
If the speedometer was fine when new - in my experience - it's almost always the inner cable.

I'd pull both ends of the cable and then lube it.  Don't use too much lube as it'll settle to the bottom and leak out around the wheel drive. 

May want to pull the inner cable out (if you can) and inspect it before lubing.  But sometimes a visual inspection doesn't show anything.

If should settle down but may not go completely away.  May want to spring for a new cable.

Just moving my bike around in the garage gets my speedo to react when pushing it forward.

Regards, Foggy
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:28:21 pm by Foggy_Auggie »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 07:21:56 pm
It's a mystery. I got my bike with 170 miles on the clock and from day 1 the speedo needle was all over the place at anything above an indicated 50 mph.  At about 6,500 miles the cable broke at the front wheel end.  I fitted a more expensive cable available in the UK and things were much better, but after a further 150 miles or so, the speedo stopped working completely.  If I disconnected the cable from the speedo and turned the front wheel, the cable turned.  If I reconnected the speedo end and disconnected the wheel end and put an electric drill onto it, the speedo worked.  Put it all back together - nothing!

I recently fitted a cheap original Indian-made cable and so far, so good.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 02:53:47 am
Sounds like I'd better just get used to a dancing needle. Maybe I'll get that tach I've been eyeing (little one about 2: diameter, mounts to handlebar). At least then, I might know how close I'm getting to a ticket.

rural earl

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 05:02:05 am
Maybe this is a little too techie for an RE, but what about one of those wireless bicycle computers?  They can be calibrated for any wheel circumference and the speedo end can be on a quick-release mount that doesn't spoil the look of the bike all the time.  I've considered one for my scooter just for the accuracy.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 05:20:29 am
Maybe this is a little too techie for an RE, but what about one of those wireless bicycle computers?  They can be calibrated for any wheel circumference and the speedo end can be on a quick-release mount that doesn't spoil the look of the bike all the time.  I've considered one for my scooter just for the accuracy.

I put one of those on my Tomos LX moped that has a dancing speedo.  I got it cheap from a Target store (stay away from high priced bicycle shops).  It's a Schwinn model.

It's a digital readout and programmable.  Use a string to exactly measure the circumference of the tire.  Then input this as distance traveled in one rotation.  Mount the magnet on the spokes per instructions and the pick-up with zip ties to the fork leg.  Leave enough slack in the wire to allow for fork compression and extension.  Mount the readout module to the handle bar.  Works like a champ.  There is a few seconds of delay during acceleration on the reading but is stable and accurate on cruise.

It would sort of clutter up the classic appearance of a Bullet though...

Regards, Foggy 
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 06:34:50 pm
Ah, the mysteries of the RE speedo! I outlined my experiences in an earlier post but today I went for a good run - the first since fitting the new cheapo Indian-made speedo cable.  Result - the needle is as steady as a rock at all speeds.  I also got an indicated top speed of just over 70 mph and felt that the bike (a 350 cc) had a little more in reserve.  I only held that speed for 20 seconds.  The real object was to try the speedo out but it was the first time that I've ever had any steady indication of speed over 50 mph. Until now the needle bounced around so much that it was just guesswork.  The November air was cold on my teeth as I blasted along grinning at my indicated 70!

Tom

One cylinder is enough for anyone.