Author Topic: Clubman: Four Days In  (Read 3122 times)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
on: November 23, 2009, 05:42:04 pm
Four days and all of two rides and 38 miles I'm afraid! Simply because the weather has been so bad here in the UK. At least I'm in Essex where we've not had the worst of it. So, after the 20 miles on Friday I got another 18 done today. I was five or six miles into it and it started pouring down. Oh well. I've put some pics up in Members Rides which were taken after the ride so you can see that it cleaned up OK and at least I've got some wet weather experience. I thought it was very firm footed and reassuring and thoroughly enjoyed it. Funny how the mirrors blurred at certain revs on my first ride and that didn't seem to happen this time. I guess I'm riding round it already. I was a lot better at locating the indicator switch without looking down too so two niggles are on the way out leaving only positives. It's really comfortable, the clutch engagement is really smooth, the gearbox is far slicker than I was expecting and the whole ride was a sheer joy. I'm very impressed with the brakes too - loads of feel. Their power is hardly being tested with such a low mileage but the impression is that there's plenty on hand.

I went and soured the whole thing by cracking the tail light lens when putting it on the centre stand at the end of the ride.  :(  I was parking in a tight little corner and misjudged the distance it moves back when using the stand. I felt pretty stupid. Hopefully I'll be able to get a replacement without difficulty. If not it's still usable but I want to fix it.

I should say that I haven't ridden for ten years and I've never had modern Japanese bikes. I had a Yamaha Powervalve 20 years ago and more recently a Morini and Ducati. Maybe I'm easily impressed but impressed I am and I think they have done an incredible job of making something very user friendly whilst retaining charm and character.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 06:32:02 pm
I really dig the look of your Bullet, actually have been drooling since I first saw the pictures of it posted on the Watsonian site . Thumbs up for the chrome toolbox cover, looks nicer than the black one IMO. Is your Clubman EFI a Watsonian prepped bike or is it a dealer prepped kit? Is that Clubman setup available as a kit also? And if you don't mind answering, how much extra was the Clubman version over the Electra version?

I know you will be having a lot of fun riding. Keep us updated as you get it broke in.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 07:27:15 pm
I loved it from the first time I saw it on the Watsonian site too. Knew straight away that I just had to have it in preference to the standard G5 even if I'm getting a bit old for cafe racer riding positions. But it's actually very comfortable; Watsonian say they spent a lot of time on the rearset to bars relationship and I can believe it. Slightly awkward to look over your shoulder but I managed that better today than on the first ride so I think it can be done. I agree that the chrome toolbox is better than the black. (It's the same on the left hand side of course.) It is Watsonian prepared and I paid 5,000 (GBP) for it against the 4,000 for the standard. For that you get the tank, upswept exhaust, ace bars, rearsets, different seat and detachable single seat hump.
 I know there's quite a waiting list now. I waited six months and I think if you order one today it's about the same wait. They build one a week, I'm told. I don't know it it's available as a kit; probably not for the UK market but if you're in the US I guess you can ask Watsonian. I do totally understand your drooling because I'm exactly the same.  :)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 07:59:44 pm
I do totally understand your drooling because I'm exactly the same.  :)

You may need to purchase one of these.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 02:21:53 am
That is one fine looking motorcycle, I want one!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 05:47:21 pm
Holy cow!  That's one heck of a looker!!  I'm really jealous....

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:02:19 pm
You may need to purchase one of these.

Good idea! Make it XXL!  ;)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 08:04:47 pm
Holy cow!  That's one heck of a looker!!  I'm really jealous....

Yep! Gotta say it takes my breath away.