Author Topic: weight differences  (Read 5809 times)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
on: November 10, 2007, 06:42:46 pm
 Hi ya! Hey this is just for curiosities sake. I have been wondering about the weight difference between Bullet and Electra. The stated weights I see listed are the same but the Electra has got to weigh a little bit less because of the aluminum engine castings. I understand all of the internals will weigh more or less the same so the difference may not be that great. The aluminum parts would generally have to be a bit thicker to make up the difference in strength. Aluminum is about 3x lighter than steel but it does not have to be 3x thicker to make up the strength difference. Also, is the transmission castings now aluminum also? Thanks.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 07:23:19 pm
The bullet had aluminum engine and gearbox cases too.
From what I can see the only weight difference would be the aluminum cylinder which wouldn't be much.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 09:54:07 pm
I would agree that the weight differences of the engine are negligible
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 04:56:02 am
Have I misunderstood this difference in engines? I know there our some mechanical mods but is the materials difference in just the barrel and head. Some one should cast a n aluminum cyl. head for bullet.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:01:26 am
Have I misunderstood this difference in engines? I know there our some mechanical mods but is the materials difference in just the barrel and head. Some one should cast a n aluminum cyl. head for bullet.

They already have!  Here it is on the CMW site:
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/cylinder-barrel-alloy-reasonable-price-p-228.html

I'm not in a hurry to spring for it, but if I was doing a rebuild, I don't see any reason why I wouldn't go for it.

Eamon
Eamon

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 11:48:12 am

The Bullet has a aluminum head and a cast iron cylinder.
The difference between the two is in the cylinder only.
Yes, you can buy a aluminum cylinder for the bullet but it's not much of a weight difference from the cast iron one.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 02:48:05 am
Even the allow barrel on the Electra has a thick steel sleeve in it, so I doubt the weight is much different. It's easy enough to peel off a few pounds though. The difference between the stock exhaust system and the classic aftermarket system is quite a bit, I think I saved close to ten pounds right there. Remove the PAV system, swap the air box for a K&N filter, replace the heavy stock seat for a little solo springer... you get the idea. All together, I may have shaved close to twenty pounds.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 02:55:10 am
wow. twenty pound weight savings is quite a lot. I am intrigued by weight savings since it is just about as good as increasing power and with no inherent reliability problems.

petross

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 03:52:17 am
I wonder how much weight can be saved by removing the eletric start system......????

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 03:24:37 pm
The best way to cut a lot of weight from the Bullet is to join Weight Watchers - at least in my case
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

deejay

Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 03:51:09 pm
I wonder how much weight can be saved by removing the eletric start system......????

I'll let you know in a few weeks.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 04:34:08 pm
If the bike was all horsepower and little torque, then weight differences would be felt right away, but on arelaxed torque monster, I doubt anyone notices much difference. I think the only time less weight would really be felt is if you were doing some off-road riding.