Author Topic: New Electra Owner  (Read 4957 times)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 08:35:32 pm
Uncle Ernie I think you are correct as far as free thought on the forum but as far as I can see that is exactly what went on in this exchange on this topic. I really don't care if someone wants to by parts in some other country. I do think the savings will be questionable to say the least. You go through the leg work of tracking down the specific parts then you make arrangements for shipping those parts and once you have them home and start the installation process you find a part missing or once the part is installed it seems to fall apart or not fit correctly then where are you at. Are you going to return the part or get a refund? No, your going to eat it! This is the education part you where referring to, and sometimes a person has to get that education through their pocketbook.

I've never been much of a gambler when it comes to making purchases, I like to know that there is a return policy and that I can count on some decent customer service when needed. It takes an incredible amount of work for any company to build a loyal customer following. My point being that yes you may pay a bit more but the assurance that your product is 100% covered for fit, finish and that you have that customer support to help you select the right part, give advice if needed for installation of that part and the help in returning that part for a new one if something isn't quite right by far out ways the extra cost of the initial purchase.

I look forward to hearing from Burningmay on his part purchasing adventure in India. I think his views and perspective will be very educational and informative for the rest of the forum members.

How many bricks are in a ton?  ???
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 08:38:29 pm
  Plenty of low buck ways to open up the engine.  Less restricted air filter and exhaust.  Rejetting will be required for those changes.  Ace offers really well engineered products, sky is almost the limit.  Just decide what you want to do after shopping the store here, and let us know what you decide. 

As far as general maintenance the owners manual is the rule, get a Pete Snidal manual as soon as possible.  Will.

So the dealer is going to rejet it for me, and add the classic exhaust. He did not recommend changing the air filter. What say ye ?

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 08:45:27 pm
So the dealer is going to rejet it for me, and add the classic exhaust. He did not recommend changing the air filter. What say ye ?

Definitely change the filter if you've got the stock one. You can untap a lot of HP with filter, exhaust and re-jetting. K&N or Ace canister would be a good bet.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 11:53:45 pm
Uncle Ernie I think you are correct as far as free thought on the forum but as far as I can see that is exactly what went on in this exchange on this topic. I really don't care if someone wants to by parts in some other country. I do think the savings will be questionable to say the least. You go through the leg work of tracking down the specific parts then you make arrangements for shipping those parts and once you have them home and start the installation process you find a part missing or once the part is installed it seems to fall apart or not fit correctly then where are you at. Are you going to return the part or get a refund? No, your going to eat it! This is the education part you where referring to, and sometimes a person has to get that education through their pocketbook.

I've never been much of a gambler when it comes to making purchases, I like to know that there is a return policy and that I can count on some decent customer service when needed. It takes an incredible amount of work for any company to build a loyal customer following. My point being that yes you may pay a bit more but the assurance that your product is 100% covered for fit, finish and that you have that customer support to help you select the right part, give advice if needed for installation of that part and the help in returning that part for a new one if something isn't quite right by far out ways the extra cost of the initial purchase.

I look forward to hearing from Burningmay on his part purchasing adventure in India. I think his views and perspective will be very educational and informative for the rest of the forum members.

How many bricks are in a ton?  ???

Leaving Christmas day. Will be back mid Jan. Will definitely update this post then, with pics and prices.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 12:19:46 am
Leaving Christmas day. Will be back mid Jan. Will definitely update this post then, with pics and prices.

Great, have a great time. Hope you find what your seeking. Will look forward to the update.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 01:09:29 am
Congrats,, Let us know when you bike arrives.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 09:01:01 am
Here's a point to consider.

Would you stand at CMW's storecounter or any of the dealers storecounters and expect to have this conversation with other shoppers without feeling that you may have said the right thing but in the wrong place when it goes quiet and a tumbleweed blows through the store?

I for one think that it smacks of rudeness and bad etiquette but perhaps that's just me being British?.

On a different tack, I know from experience that parts supplied locally in India are often not OEM parts even though they are presented as such. Therefore the quality is suspect. This is not a problem for the supplier as he knows that you won't be back.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 02:36:01 pm
That's a good point.
I've been in retail pretty much all my life and I realize that about 80% of your business comes from around 20% of your customers.  I suppose those numbers may vary some in a situation like this?
Anyway- the point is, education helps insure long term customer satisfaction and repeat sales (and word-of-mouth advertising).  I have told people the reasons I charge what I do and how I stand behind my product.  I've even recommended they try somewhere else.  My experience is, most come back after trying Brand-X.  The one's who don't come back- what have you really lost? 
Run what ya brung