Author Topic: Kicked it this morning, kicked back with a loud sound in the engine. Now locked  (Read 13949 times)

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Remove the rocker and get it up and off?
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Don't jump the gun. If the engine is not at TDC, you wouldn't expect both push rods to turn. It's really unlikely the when the backfire occurred that the engine stopped at TDC.

boulevard

• Scooter
okay here are the pictures that will hopefully give some insight
06 Enfield Military

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Okay, as Phil says, if  you are not at TDC on the compression stroke, then it is possible there might be a little pressure on the intake valve, if the cam is trying to start opening it.

In fact, it looks to me that the top photo you just posted shows that the intake valve is open.
And that would be why it won't turn.

So, you need to get that engine rotated to where the pushrods are both fully down, and then adjust them. That is at the point of TDC at the top of the compression stroke.

So,turn the engine to the proper TDC location, and then adjust the pushrods.

If you don't know how to find TDC like we're talking about, then just ask how.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:27:11 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

boulevard

• Scooter
Tell me if this is wrong . . . . Okay I understand that I need to loosen the pushrod in order to get it back lined up properly.  After alignment I will need to get the pushrods back to being properly adjusted.  The way to do that is to adjust it when the engine is in TDC.

I have no Idea what TDC is and I don't know how to tell If my engine is in TDC.  Heck I don't know how to get it to TDC if its not there already.

After I get the engine to TDC i guess I will tighten the pushrod back to where it fits snugly.
06 Enfield Military

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
At this stage you still can't determine what is keeping your engine from turning.

The easiest thing at this point would be to pull the primary cover off and see if you see any obvious damage to the sprag. If not then try to work on the valve. Need to solve one problem at a time when possible.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
I'm not clear on what the full situation is right now.

Can the engine be moved around now, or not?

boulevard

• Scooter
Man I wish I just had you guys in my garage.  I need to know what TDC is. I don't know how to move the engine around.

How would go about moving the engine around? Put it in gear and move the back wheel? Or try to move the kicker?

The kicker is stuck and when you put it in gear and try rocking the bike it acts like a bike in gear and doesn't want to move.
06 Enfield Military

boulevard

• Scooter
A new discovery that might help.  Probably just make you laugh.

When I pull the clutch and the decompressor the kicker is able to move.  I know that is probably an obvious thing but just in case it isn't I thought I would post it.

Are we all still in agreement that the left pushrod was jammed?
06 Enfield Military

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
1. Are you in neutral when you try to rock the bike? 2. Does your kickstand raise your rear wheel off the ground? If not you will need to raise it by putting a block under it. 3. After it's raised put the gearbox in top gear, this will make it easier to rotate. I would remove the spark plug and carefully try to rotate the wheel around in either direction, it takes a little muscle but not to much to get it to rotate. 4. If you do get it to rotate listen for a wheeze through the carb and then some air being pushed out of the plug hole, this will be your piston making its way to the top of it's stroke and by putting a piece of thick wire (clothes hanger) or a screwdriver into the plug hole you will be able to gauge the top of the stroke. 5. If you don't get it to rotate you might check the inside of the primary for any sprag damage as Phil pointed out earlier.

It still looks like something isn't right with your intake pushrod. How much does it move around? Does it make contact with the tappet?

Be patient Boulevard there will be a conclusion to your problem soon and whatever problem is found there enough knowledgeable forum members to help you through whatever your needs.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead

Are we all still in agreement that the left pushrod was jammed?

Yes, it was jammed and off the tappet, but we don't know for sure if that was the only thing wrong.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
TDC= Top Dead Center;  when the piston is at it's highest point in the "Suck Squeeze Bang Blow" cycle.  First- take out the spark plug.  I find it's easier to find TDC by putting the tranny in high gear and sort of bumping/bouncing/rotating the rear wheel.  
Since you yave the rocker covers off, you can tell when you're at TDC when they're both in the same position.  Otherwise, use a dowel sticking out of the plug hole -AND HANG ON TO IT so you don't drop it into the cylinder.  When the dowel sticks out the most, that's TDC and both valve lifters will rotate by finger pressure.  If only one rotates (usually the exhaust valve in my experience) then you got a fake TDC.  
Run what ya brung

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Personally, since you have the rockers covers off I would remove the rear (intake) rocker block and push rod.  The valve should spring back into place.

If the valve does not pop back up when you remove the rocker block you dropped your intake valve seat or bent the valve stem and the piston is hitting on the valve and not allowing the engine to turn.   You will need to pull the head and fix that valve, possible replace the head at that point..

If the valve pops back up and you can still not turn the engine you sprag is nuked.   You will have to pull the primary off and remove the sprag gearing from the tumor.  

Hopefully its the sprag and not the head..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Sounds like it  is a sprag problem. The main tool you'll need is an impact wrench to remove the nuts. It's easy to check the sprag just remove the big middle nut on the primary pull the cover and check for metal pieces. I wouldn't mess anymore with the valve train. With the primary off you can put a wrench on the crank nut and try to rock the motor back and forth to maybe discover what the problem is if the sprag is ok.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

boulevard

• Scooter
This morning I tried to get it to tdc and had a hard time finding something to fit into the spark plug hole. So instead I put it in 5th gear and rotated the back wheel until I could feel both push rods were able to rotate. I found a spot where both were able to rotate. 

Does this mean I have te push rods operational and I need to start searching the sprag?
06 Enfield Military