Author Topic: C5 Tail Light for Iron-Lung Classic?  (Read 6406 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 17, 2009, 07:45:11 pm
Anybody know if that round tail light on the new C5 is available as an aftermarket part, and if it would fit (or can be made to fit) in the stock lighting assembly of a 2007 Classic?

There's a picture of it on a C5 here:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1877

I need to replace some parts that vibrated off, and would like to change the look of the rear lighting a little, but I actually like the stock assembly and indicators.

Jeff

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:05:36 pm
Cant see why it would not fit. The fenders are pretty much the same.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:06:58 pm
Looks to me like it would fit on.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 12:02:20 pm
Almost certainly designed to fit using screw holes on the existing number plate, so should be an easy replacement.  It looks a nice light, too!

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:51:44 pm
I just called CMW, and the guy on the phone told me that the tail light for the C5 comes with the whole assembly. So you could probably rig it up, but you'd have to be willing to do that, and you'd have to be willing to buy the whole thing.

Maybe soon enough they'll have replacement parts for the C5 on the website (and maybe they'll sell replacement tail lights separately).

Anyway, I'm searching the web for a clean-looking round light that can be made to fit on the number plate.

Jeff

artguy45

• Neophyte
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:17:54 pm
What about a Model A Ford light?  I did mine for about $25.

flintweld

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 11:45:42 pm
Hey artguy I like that.
Very clean.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 12:02:13 am
I used the Vincent Black Shadow taillight, with the STOP lettering on it.
Got it from ebay.
I didn't use the stock housing for the rear lights, but this can go on it with a little modification to make the holes line up.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 01:28:32 pm
Thanks for the pics. Both of those look good and I have them in mind. I was also thinking of a simple light like this $5 special.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/products/srm/oid/54056/erm/product_detail.jsp?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=product

I got time til spring, anyway.

Jeff

Donovan

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 02:17:55 pm
I used the Vincent Black Shadow taillight, with the STOP lettering on it.
Got it from ebay.
I didn't use the stock housing for the rear lights, but this can go on it with a little modification to make the holes line up.

Ace,

I've got that same light on my bike but mounted to the original Indian plate on the back. I'd like to lose that and got for something more like what you have.

Did you have to make a braket for that or did you buy something?

Do you have a side view of that?

Thanks,
Christopher

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 02:25:46 pm
Thanks for the pics. Both of those look good and I have them in mind. I was also thinking of a simple light like this $5 special.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/products/srm/oid/54056/erm/product_detail.jsp?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=product

Jeff

That is the same light I put on my sidecar, was for a trailer.   Got it at Autozone for $2.50 as I got the one without a plate bulb as it was cheaper.    Works great and looks oldschool.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 03:11:18 pm
Jeff

Jeff, a trailer tail light is very doable. Make sure that you get one for the plate illumination. I have changed my tail assembly every couple of years trying to get to a "look" that I really like. This winter I'm going away from the trailer light but don't really know which way I'll go. The pic below is about the best view that I have; don't have any straight on...
               - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 07:54:09 pm
Jeff, a trailer tail light is very doable. Make sure that you get one for the plate illumination. I have changed my tail assembly every couple of years trying to get to a "look" that I really like. This winter I'm going away from the trailer light but don't really know which way I'll go. The pic below is about the best view that I have; don't have any straight on...
               - Mike

Huh, now that looks how I pictured it. I was worried that the trailer light might not have enough side illumination, but from your picture it seems like it'd be fine.

Other thing I'm considering is a beehive or Vincent stoplight directly mounted to the fender, with the premium Bullet turn signals, doing away with the number plate. I'm not crazy about the way the Bullet turn signals look mounted to the bench seat tabs on the luggage carriers, so I was wondering if you could use them in place of the fender bolt at the end of the luggage carrier. That way they'd be level with the beehive or whatever tail light you put there in place of the number plate.

I do like the number plate, though, as to my eye it adds a bit of length to the fender and therefore to the overall bike

Anyway, I'm just mulling options here. Also starting to fantasize about getting another used iron-barrell bullet and turning it into a cafe racer, with an up-tuned (and maybe bored out) engine, the continental gas tank and seat, etc. That will have to wait while, though. Man, my bike's only been put away for two weeks and already I can't stop thinking about it.

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:56:41 pm by jdrouin »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 08:03:20 pm
Ace,

I've got that same light on my bike but mounted to the original Indian plate on the back. I'd like to lose that and got for something more like what you have.

Did you have to make a braket for that or did you buy something?

Do you have a side view of that?

Thanks,
Christopher
Christopher,
My light came with that bracket when I got it.
It holds the light and the license plate.

I think you could make it with some wide aluminum flat stock, with holes put into it in the right places to get the light mounted right. And then bolt a cross-bar to it, to attach the license plate.
I think it's do-able.

This is the closest pic that I have to a side view. You can see the basic shape of the bracket. It doesn't go down very far below the top of the license plate. It's basically a cross-bar with holes for the license plate, and a "tombstone" shaped plate sticking up to mount the light on.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:07:07 pm by ace.cafe »

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 08:37:40 pm
I have the same light as Ace, it is now located in a parts bin filed under, "useless Chinese piece of crap!" I had to many fellow riders tell me my light was basically worthless. Well if other riders thinks it's useless then how does someone in the drivers seat perceive that little bastard. I replaced it a few months back with a Model A commercial light. This is the truck version, stainless bezel, red glass lens w/clear license lamp glass lens and black bucket. Looks great on the bike. Actually gives a little length to the bike and other motorists can clearly see me now.

To each is own, don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I thought pointing out this safety issue is my responsibility.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII