Author Topic: Loud Valves????  (Read 16780 times)

deejay

Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 05:56:17 pm
My valves are truly loud..  even straight from the dealer, after service, and when it was extensively worked on...  The valves are just plain noisy..  Many years ago, when living in northern Scotland, I had an RE, that also had very noisy valves.

Get a louder exhaust, that will fix it.

gapl53

Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 04:27:39 pm
Ah! The mechanical clatter of the valve train, reminds me of my youth!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 05:10:50 pm
...Haven't had to adjust those valves for about 3 years. It sure worked for me. As a matter of fact, I haven't done anything to my bike for the past 3 years except ride it, sometimes hard, and change the oil and lube the cables, check air in tires (they didn't need any, must be those thick India tubes), and put in gas. I got one of those "duck-bill breathers" which deposits oil vapor from the engine on your chain and haven't had to lube "or" adjust the chain since I got it. ... Dew.

Well, I've had my 2006 Electra X for 10 years, ridden it over 10.2 million miles and I've never had to:
o Add gas
o Change a bulb
o Check or Change oil or filter
o Check or Change air filter
o Replace the battery

I replaced the chain with a large rubber band so I never have to lube it.

As a matter of fact, I never even turn it off. I just leave it running and let it idle so I don't have to kick it over the next time I want to ride it!

I just love these things!

:o

Matt
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 05:14:55 pm by Thumper »

deejay

Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 06:27:23 pm
...Haven't had to adjust those valves for about 3 years. It sure worked for me. As a matter of fact, I haven't done anything to my bike for the past 3 years except ride it, sometimes hard, and change the oil and lube the cables, check air in tires (they didn't need any, must be those thick India tubes), and put in gas. I got one of those "duck-bill breathers" which deposits oil vapor from the engine on your chain and haven't had to lube "or" adjust the chain since I got it. ... Dew.

Well, I've had my 2006 Electra X for 10 years, ridden it over 10.2 million miles and I've never had to:
o Add gas
o Change a bulb
o Replace the battery

As a matter of fact, I never even turn it off. I just leave it running and let it idle so I don't have to kick it over the next time I want to ride it!

Matt

lol, I should have got the Electra

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 09:28:12 pm

o Add gas
o Change a bulb
o Replace the battery

Matt
Yeah, and I will bet that you have some choice swampland in Arizona that you will sell for a good price......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!