Author Topic: Easy Questions For The Experienced Owners!  (Read 2861 times)

BornFromJets

• Scooter
on: November 16, 2009, 03:39:19 pm
Tires: I want a set of grippier tires when the time comes.  Recommendations

Oil: Coming up on 800 mile first all fluid change. Amsoil or ?

Chrome Accessories: Been seeing alot of chrome parts on Ebay etc.. are they good quality? I want to do the AF & Tool & Battery Box in chrome.

Windsheild: Which one offers good overall protection?

As a side note; this engine is really feeling like its stretching out now in 3rd, and 4th, getting better faster! Leather bags and a seat change for spring but I'm still riding in 40/50 weather, a windshield would probably help.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:54:49 pm
Tires are a relatively subjective choice, depending on riding needs.
For good handling in road use, many seem to like the Avon AM26 tires.

Regarding oil, I would strongly recommend to use dino oil until break in is fully complete, probably waiting until 3000 miles, before contemplating synthetic oil.

The chrome stuff on Ebay is from India. The chrome quality is fairly poor in most cases.
I had the chrome battery box, and I removed it because of rusting and flaking.
The metal quality under the chrome is also poor, and it would be a miracle if you got one that wasn't bent and wavy and mis-shapen in various ways. The stock air boxes are notorious for appearing as if they were run over by trucks, prior to being chromed or painted.
I personally have rarely seen a stock airbox that wasn't very noticeably bent in various ways, in "brand new" condition. The one that came on my bike looked like somebody had tried to beat it into shape with a sledge hammer, and then chromed it.

Windshield depends on your riding position. It's good to get one that deflects the wind higher than your face. Otherwise it can be uncomfortable to ride with.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:58:56 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:30:37 pm
Ace is spot on.. 

I myself have purchased quite a few bits from various Ebay sellers.  The quality of the finish on the items has been hit and miss but the price was good.  As my machine is a daily driver I tend to be a little less critical in my assessment of the stuff. 

I have a chrome lh shift 5spd cover that I will part with for the cost of shipping.  If you want it.

I might also suggest Aces Coffee Can air cleaner for an upgrade.   It looks really sharp in addition to being functionally superior to the stock can.   ;D

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 05:01:41 pm
Br. Jets, my responses go as follows:

"Tires: I want a set of grippier tires when the time comes."
Install the AVON Road Riders AM26s (front and back); they will transform your Bullet.

"Oil: Coming up on 800 mile first all fluid change."
Go with Brs. Ace and Gary and their dino suggestion through the break in process.  I have just under 12K miles on my 2004 IB and have been using AMSOIL, full synthetic 20W50 (year round) with great success. 

"Chrome Accessories: Been seeing alot of chrome parts on Ebay etc..."
Go with the CMW chrome bits.

"Windsheild: Which one offers good overall protection?"
I'm a lousy source for this because I wouldn't put a windshield (or bags) on Perla, my Bullet, for any amount of real money or funny money (bailout money)!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 05:17:19 pm
Ace is spot on.. 

I myself have purchased quite a few bits from various Ebay sellers.  The quality of the finish on the items has been hit and miss but the price was good.  As my machine is a daily driver I tend to be a little less critical in my assessment of the stuff. 

I have a chrome lh shift 5spd cover that I will part with for the cost of shipping.  If you want it.

I might also suggest Aces Coffee Can air cleaner for an upgrade.   It looks really sharp in addition to being functionally superior to the stock can.   ;D

That Ace Air Canister looks real good on there, Br. Gary!
 ;D

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 05:54:48 pm
Ooo- almost started to talk about oil!

(That was a close one...)
Run what ya brung

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 07:23:41 pm

Yup it looks good....   The  chicks dig it also..    Just the other day I was at Sonics eating a chili dog and this cute young thing approached me and the conversation went like this..
"Normally I don't give people that look like Jaba the Hut my phone number, but since you have that sexy Ace Coffee Can on your Relic of a motorcycle,  give me a call sometime.."

Yup,  that's how it went down............
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:05:56 pm
Funny!
You know, I hear that alot!
Chicks dig it!

:D

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 10:13:53 pm
...and then she shouted, "Sir, WAKE UP- WE'RE CLOSING NOW!"
Run what ya brung

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 11:12:48 pm
  Okay I won't mention wht chicks really dig..but chime in about Flea-Bay accessory items.  It's a real crap shoot.  The oil filters are aboiut the same quality but would stay away from much more than that.

CMW stuff is guaranteed good quality.  If you can't find what you want there try Hitchcoks from England.  If you have their part number CMW may be able to get it at a better price for you.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

D.B.Owen

• Owen's Obsession
  • Scooter
  • To Know me is to love me.........
Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 08:15:12 pm
 Hey Ya' ll !

OK, TIRES.  I have replaced my tires every spring seance 01 with the stock Avon's. They weren't even close to being worn out. I'm just obsessive, and think new tires every year is much cheaper tn medical bills. I can't understand why I'd need anything sticker. My pegs drag way before I get to the limit of their handling.
  OIL.  I'm also obsessive when it comes to changing my oil. These bikes only hold 1.5 qt of oil, and I think it would tend to break down quicker. Like the tires and the medical bills. Changing oil is much cheaper then rebuilding an engine. I have ran Lucas motorcycle oil seance my first oil change.
  CHROME.  I've got some good stuff and bad stuff from CMW. I have a friend who goes to India several times a year, and I've found most of the stuff he brings back is just as good as stuff from CMW.
  WINDSHIELD.  I run a small Slipstreamer windshield I got from Dennis Kirk for about $ 70.00, and it works great.
  SEAT. I started with the old fashioned solo seat, and I think it was patterned after some kind of a medieval torture divice. I also ran the deluxe solo foam CMW, and it was a little better. I now have the English dual seat from CMW, and I totally LOVE it. You can move arid on it, and it makes riding much more pleasurable.

Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE.

2001 500 Real Bullet - 4 SPEED / KICK START ONLY

BornFromJets

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 01:52:09 pm
thx all... everything is good advise for this newbie, I'm gonna get the air filter ACE add-on, change tires and wait till 3K to change oil and I've found a local plater that may do my parts for a reasonable price... just gotta grit blast it all no problem. Going to a gel battery this weekend, hate dealing with acid batteries. Also going to change the  seat too but where can I find a neat exhaust tip? Saw the rocket fin tip but the crescent moon tip that u see on 50's bikes is very cool.

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 07:07:09 am
I recently upgraded to a new Interstate maintenance-free battery.  ;)

I use Dunlop K70's 3.25 x 19 front and rear. Great traction all surfaces (though I haven't tried ice. Need studs for ice). The rear has about 4K on it and will need replacement, probably next season. I will try to locate a 3.50 x 19 for the rear. May get longer mileage out of it.

I have a Memphis Shades windshield which I bought from CMW. I had to experiment a lot with angle and height and clearance above headlight shell. I like it for cold weather or long distance (I leave the handlebar mounts on year round and slip the windshield into place when I want it). But the wind noise is a bit unless you use a full face and ear plugs. Buffeting is not bad, just the redirection of noise around an open face or puddin'-bowl helmet is annoying. Vince has a windshield suggestion, too, which may be more affordable. He's had good luck with the ones he's fitted to customers bikes. http://www.vincesmotorcyclestore.com/

Seat... I bought the solo deluxe from CMW. I wish I had purchased the PREMIUM Deluxe. The premium does not have an exposed bead as does mine (see photo). The bead can cut into your thigh in some positions. I alleviated some of that by going with the 3" springs for the seat. The stock 5" springs are a bit "pogo-like" on the corners and sit one a bit high for ground touching (I have a 30" inseam). I believe CMW will sub the shorter springs at time of purchase but don't quote me...

A Cortech/Tourmaster tank bag has become indispensable for useful stuff, and my toolboxes are full of spares and added wrenches, etc.

Upgrading to the 7" halogen is a good idea but you lose the headlight angle adjustment (that's probably why it's not DOT approved). Sometimes I think I will wire a separate (round)  driving light under the headlight to use as (and wire in place of) my high beam. That way I can adjust the angle for load variations.
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 02:43:36 pm
thx all... everything is good advise for this newbie, I'm gonna get the air filter ACE add-on, change tires and wait till 3K to change oil and I've found a local plater that may do my parts for a reasonable price... just gotta grit blast it all no problem. Going to a gel battery this weekend, hate dealing with acid batteries. Also going to change the  seat too but where can I find a neat exhaust tip? Saw the rocket fin tip but the crescent moon tip that u see on 50's bikes is very cool.

> HEY !  <

Follow the manual!  You should already have one complete fluid change and head torque under your belt by 800 miles.    DO NOT wait until 3K for the first one.  P L E A S E
Run what ya brung

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 06:29:13 pm
Windsheild: Which one offers good overall protection?
i followed memphis shades formula on another bike and it fit perfectly. you'll need another warm body that can read a ruler. in normal riding position, the top of the shield should be at the middle of the bridge of your nose, the line between nose and top of the shield being parallel to the ground. in combination with my g-max, i rarely felt buffeting.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:04:03 pm by rideOn »
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic