Author Topic: no neutral indicator!?  (Read 10780 times)

donkey

• Scooter
on: November 06, 2007, 07:26:34 pm
Finally I took the Bullet a few days ago and my first impressions are only positive... wow!  this is charisma, no doubt. A great and sorpresively bike, I love it. Fantastic, simple a very very enjoyable, and easy to work with.
But no have neutral indicator light! (my Bullet is a april 07 version)

Cheers and regards from Spain.
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Café Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
-------------------------------
Café Racer CB400SS
Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 08:21:57 pm
My '05 has the indicator light centered in the bottom part of the speedometer.  Sometimes it is in neutral but the light doesn't come on unless it is perfectly in the right spot.  I'm sure I just have to go adjust the switch but I'm being lazy on this repair.  If you have the green lens for neutral check to see if the light is burned out.  I have had numerous lights burn out that were new and have since changed out all the bulbs on Matilda as I didn't feel the factory ones were high enough quality for me.

Aloha
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:35:17 pm
Guys, I assume this is only on 5 speed units (?) as my old speedo in Kilometres for Europe only had illumination for the speedo at the bottom where the neutral light now is (upon fitting an MPH speedo).
Just use the neutral finder lever to put it in that position!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:42:34 pm
Mine is a 5 speed with the US MPH speedo.  The illumination light is at the top and the high beam, neutral, and turn signal lights are mounted at the bottom of my speedo.  I'm afraid I don't know about the placement of lights on the European speedo.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:40:58 am
Try looking at it at night or in a dark shop.  During the day my neutral indicator is way too small and dim to even see it.

At night it's readily seen.

It doesn't take long to find neutral by feel.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 01:11:51 am
Try looking at it at night or in a dark shop

;D

yea, mines always there at that time..

In the meantime I pull up to the stoplight, think WoOps.. forgot to put it in neutral.. ok roll forward while moving foot.. ha there it is..getting easier to find.. now if i can just get that kick starter working ::)

However, check the wiring , the headlight comes off easily.. and see if somethings come loose.. or if the bulb is shot.. it happens..

you've probabally done that by now.. :)

Roger

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 07:48:38 am
My Australian market 05 Classic doesn't have a neutral light... The switch is on the gearbox but there is no wire going to it. Maybe they are a mandatory fitment only in certain markets. ie the US.

Roger

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 08:35:55 am
I have a UK 350 Classic which has no neutral light.  Mind you - as has been said earlier - I doubt if I'd be able to see it, anyway.  I've found that the easiest way to get into neutral when stopping is to move the lever into neutral from second, while the bike's still moving at a walking pace.  The longer I've had the bike, the more precise this has become but I'm not sure if that's because I've got better at it or because the gearbox has become more helpful.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

donkey

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 10:24:50 am
I have no problem to find neutral. But this speedo doesn't have neutral indicator. As you know, mine is a Bullet 500ES 2007.
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Café Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Café Racer CB400SS

deejay

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 04:42:33 pm
Once you get a feel for it going into neutral you won't need it anyways. I plan to upgrade my speedometer and eliminate the "dummy" lights all together.

donkey

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 06:36:48 pm
Great idea! Bye to dummi lights and welcome to a Smiths speedo...
Café Racer CB400SS

deejay

Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 06:51:01 pm

EXACTLY ;D

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 09:10:15 pm
Hey Donkey, I see you are a cafe racer, can you post some pics of your Honda. Am currently working on a 550 Super Sport Cafe myself......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

donkey

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 08:49:46 am
dewjantim, you can see my café in my friend blog 8negro, here http://8negro.blogspot.com/2007/08/la-cafetera-de-donkey.html

and ear the double-black-coffe sound here http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=ctCnL6MaWgU

Regards
Café Racer CB400SS