Author Topic: Model G  (Read 28067 times)

REG350

• Neophyte
on: July 12, 2007, 09:47:38 pm
I'll start the ball rolling in this category with a pic of my 1948 Model G.  I know there are a few other vintage owners in the U.S., and this would be a good place to see some pics of them. 

The G is pretty much original with matching numbers.  I had it shipped from England last year and it was in running condition when I received it.  Did some minor work to it and just had a valve job completed last month - now it runs like a new bike!  I keep to the back roads and can't describe how much fun it is to ride.  I previously had a 2005 ES 5-speed Bullet, which also was a lot of fun, but I got itching for a true vintage.  I'd still like to do some cosmetic work and repaint the mudguards.  The tank is the original chrome and painted panel - while it's not perfect, I'll never touch it.  It looks better that way.  It's a rider, not a show room model.

I would like to get a "modern" bike next, just so I could take it up over 55 MPH and have a reasonable expectation of making it back from a ride!

Dave

[old attachment deleted by admin]

alwscout

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 12:08:47 am
Very nice! I like the way it looks just fine. Like you said, it isn't a show bike.

Adam
REA Member #10

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 09:38:20 am
Dave,

Thanks for kick starting our Vintage section with a picture of your G! I agree with Adam, I think it looks great as-is.  How cool that you were able to bring one across the pond (as you can read in another post, that's not always easy to do).

I can't help but lift an eyebrow to that fine-looking white Bullet next to it, either!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 09:40:54 am by CMW-Rhett »
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

Admin

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 05:18:07 pm
Sweet ride! I appreciate someone who isn't afraid to ride their classic bike. Bikes are meant to ride, not gather dust.

REG350

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:07:28 pm
Thanks to all for the kind words about my G.  Having it shipped from England was not that difficult and I dealt with a well-known and respected vintage dealer outside of London.  He helped set up the shipping.  Cost was not much more than having a bike shipped across country, but it did involve a little more work going to Customs and the holding warehouse.  The guys at the warehouse got a big kick out of it when we took it out of the crate and even took pictures of it!

A vintage or antique bike is not subject to the same US DOT, EPA, and Customs restrictions as a new bike, as long as it is genuinely old.  When I picked the bike up at the warehouse, Customs had seized someone's new sport bike that didn't meet those conditions.  It will either be destroyed or shipped back at the owner's expense.  Most people get into trouble because they don't bother to simply check the rules.  And it's also important to check with your state motor vehicles department to learn which papers they require for proper registration and title.  Some people told me I had to have a Customs broker to help get the bike through, but Customs told me this was unnecessary and mainly reserved for businesses.  The Customs paperwork took only 15 minutes.   I was lucky - everything went smoothly, but I've heard horror stories from others when they do not have all their paperwork in order.  So the moral of my story, is to not hesitate to  purchase a bike from overseas - just do some homework first.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 08:37:23 pm
REG350, very nice bike. I am glad I am not the only one to ride instead of just show a classic. I have a 1967 Interceptor MK1A that they only made 759 of. I wanted this bike when I was 16 and could not afford one. It took me 39 years of waiting, but my dream finaly came true. It had the wrong mufflers, but CMW took care of that for me. Cleaned carbs, new points and plugs and she fired up after a few kicks. Runs great. Some cosmetic work and recovered seat should make her look like new. I will TRY to post a pic. If not it will be in the gallery when approved. Here goes with the pic. I am a novice when it comes to computers. 42 years of building,riding and wrenching on bikes doesn't help a bit when it comes to computers.             Hutch          

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:12:21 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 10:34:46 pm
REG350, very nice bike. I am glad I am not the only one to ride instead of just show a classic. I have a 1967 Interceptor MK1A that they only made 759 of. I wanted this bike when I was 16 and could not afford one. It took me 39 years of waiting, but my dream finaly came true. It had the wrong mufflers, but CMW took care of that for me. Cleaned carbs, new points and plugs and she fired up after a few kicks. Runs great. Some cosmetic work and recovered seat should make her look like new. I will TRY to post a pic. If not it will be in the gallery when approved. Here goes with the pic. I am a novice when it comes to computers. 42 years of building,riding and wrenching on bikes doesn't help a bit when it comes to computers.             Hutch          

There is a 1968 MK1A Interceptor on Ebay right now, 220131581376, good looking bikes.

Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 10:47:09 pm

There is a 1968 MK1A Interceptor on Ebay right now, 220131581376, good looking bikes.

Leonard
   Thanks for the info, I will have to check it out on e-bay. I know the prices vary a lot, from $12,000 restored to less for unrestored. Thanks agian   Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

250J

• Neophyte
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 11:03:32 pm
Oil tank to the frount of the engine ?

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 02:35:44 am
REG350,

Attached is a picure of my 1954 350 Bullet.

I bought the bike in UK in 1983 and took it apart to restore it.  I subsequently went to sea for several years and washed up on the beach in the US in 1989.

My mother boxed up the parts and sent them to me and I have been messing with it on and off for about the last 15 years and finally got it back on the road in 2005.

So far I have only put about 2000 miles on it, and had to remove the top end to "ease down the high spots" on the piston per the owner's manual.  Just got it back together again and am looking forward to some riding on it.

[old attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 02:37:31 am by SRL790 »
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 03:02:37 pm
 :o Cool! That's quite a story - a bike rebuilt on two continents across two decades.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 04:27:54 am by CMW-Rhett »
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

dave48

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 10:05:30 pm
"... bike rebuilt on two continents across two decades."

And from the photo VERY well worthwhile! Isn't it just lovely!

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 11:40:48 pm
SRL790 shows that this beautiful bike started life registered in the gorgeous county of Cornwall in the far S.W. of England.  I lived way down in Penzance for 10 years and should have got a bike as there's miles and miles of awesome biking roads.  You might want to be a bit careful on the twisty backroads though, the hedges either side are solid granite under the grass and moss!

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 05:27:41 pm
Exiledcarper,
I was in Penzance this morning.  My Mother still lives near Mullion and I am over here visiting.  The bike was originally sold by a dealer named Blewett and Pender (spelling?) in Penzance. 
I learned to drive and ride on these roads.  The trick is knowing how long the grass is over the top of the granite.  There was many a day that I got home with grass hanging off my mirrors! 
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 09:52:45 pm
I was stationed at RNAS Culdrose for 18 months, in the late 70s - I had a BSA A10 that I rode around those twisty rock walled roads.. I learned very early on, to respect the edges.. :)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA