Author Topic: two sparkplug conversion  (Read 4528 times)

bill

• Scooter
on: November 05, 2007, 09:48:56 pm
Does anyone have detailed info on converting the bullet 65 to dual ignition & sparkplugs

krodaddy

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:57:26 pm
Why would you want to?
Krodaddy

bill

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 12:08:57 am
Saw the topic somewhere, must have been on another forum. Think they mentioned increased torque & the 2nd plug mounted where the decompression valve is.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 12:47:11 am
I'm with Krodaddy.  An unneeded complication in my book.  The difference in flame front on this engine probably couldn't be noticed.  The stock compression ratio is 6 to 1.  The nice hemi head design, even on the Classic engine, is well engineered for it's time.

Not many dual plug hemi head racing engines for cars either.

Dual ignitions are standard in aircraft engines for redundancy and safety in the first place.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 03:10:04 am
I wonder if dual plugs would result in reduced emissions and better fuel economy? I understand that to be the case with 2005 and later BMW F bikes and 2007 and later Suzuki V-STROM 650s. But those are fuel injected and liquid cooled.

Jeff

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 11:20:09 am
There's been quite a bit of discussion on this subject in the UK forums recently.  My own view is that any benefit would be tiny.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 08:35:14 pm
I put two spark plugs on my bike. 

One in the factory location and the other is mounted in its cardboard box inside the left hand storage box with my spare bulbs.  Oops, there I go being a smart ar$$e.  Sorry I couldn't resist.

Seriously though, rather than mounting two plugs and ignitions why not buy a MSD module.

Check out this link:  http://www.msdpowersports.com/mc-3.html

You would get the same result with less creative engineering having to be done.  They sell one for single piston engines and a fair amount of competitive motocross riders use these types of devices on their bikes.  If your not familiar with MSD what it basically does is causes several sparks instead of one spark each time your ignition fires.  I had one of these on my '78 Camaro back in the day when I used to race at the 1/4 mile track.  It worked great but only added a very modest difference in performance mainly it looked cool and gave me one more thing to adjust in the pit.

Aloha
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 04:47:19 am
If I am not mistaken the Power Arc ignition as sold by us at:
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/power-electronic-ignition-p-7013.html
Can be quite easily set up to run a two plug system. Tait in our office knows for sure.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com