Author Topic: Speedo cable routing.....  (Read 3768 times)

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 05, 2007, 07:29:31 pm
I need someone to help me check that my memory is correct!  Could some kind brother or sister with a Classic model have a look at the routing of their speedo cable for me? 

I think it should go down from the casquette, where it connect to the speedo drive shaft, and then down behind the right-hand fork tube, passing behind the bracket for the right-hand indicator.   Then it goes through the rubber retaining grommet and down on to the speedo gearbox on the front wheel. Is this right?  I'm sure it was how mine was fitted before I removed it.  I've just fitted a replacement cable and I can see how under certain circumstances the big bend in the cable (above the rubber grommet) is going to be able to touch the exhaust pipe. 

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 03:18:04 am
I went out to the barn to have a look, but the Harley is parked in front of the Bullet, and I couldn't see - It was dark and getting things out in the dark is not an easy task. I will look tomorrow in daylight, if nobody else has answered you.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:30:08 am
Thanks, IB - please don't go to a lot of trouble - it isn't vitally important.  I'm pretty sure that I have the cable routed correctly but a check when you have time would be much appreciated. 

I fitted the new cable this morning and noticed a sliding sleeve about 5 inches long, which is a tight fit over the outer cable and which can be moved up and down.  It's much more "sticky" than the shiny outer cable.  I think it must be designed to slide up so as to engage in the rubber grommet and hold the cable in the best position.  I didn't notice this on the broken cable I removed. 

Tom

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 05:03:24 pm
Comes out from the right side of the casquette down the right side of the fender in a gentle arc, to the rubber clip on the fender, than continues the arc through to the speedo hub.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 07:17:23 pm
Thanks, IB - that info is most helpful.

Tom