Author Topic: G5 as a (mild) dual-sport bike  (Read 6231 times)

JMHAZ

• Scooter
on: November 07, 2009, 09:14:40 pm
Now that the long-term G5 is back with Overland Journal after its transmission recall/upgrade, I've been trying it out on a few dirt roads (in addition to a lot of two-lane pavement). Although the skinny stock rear tire (soon to be replaced with a Dunlop) sinks quickly in soft sand in washes, in other respects the bike does just fine off pavement. The low center of gravity makes it easy to maneuver, and the light weight (compared with monster GS1200s, etc.) is an advantage, too. If the trail isn't so rough as to cause clearance issues, and the speed is kept down to sightseeing velocity, it's a treat.

Here it is on one of the back roads near my house:

I also added a bit of a flourish for the magazine:

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 09:17:48 pm by JMHAZ »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 09:26:38 pm
Yes, Bullets have always been pretty good off-road, with the right tires.
I'm sure the G5 is no exception.

Bullets dominated the ISDT competitions all thru the 1950s.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 10:27:40 pm
I can personally attest to the fact that deep  sand and an Iron Barrel Bullet are not a winning combination. Ace is correct though about it's off-road heritage. RE invented the first swing arm frame. Until other caught up they could not be touched on the Trials circuit.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 03:33:51 pm
Boys - Just remember that a bike like that with high pipes and "trials" tyres fitted to it WAS an off-road bike a few years ago. The G5 is an excellent off-road road machine - even two up - ask my wife! It's the man in the saddle that makes it a TRULY off-road bike ... Enfields are tougher than cut nails - you can't hurt one with a few bumps and ruts!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 07:59:06 pm
Exactly.

It's fun to see the expressions on guys on GS1200s and KTM 950s when they go by in the other direction on back roads. A couple of them have nearly come off the bikes twisting their heads around to get a better look.

With a shorter pipe and slightly wider rear tire, this thing is going to have no problem going where I want to.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 04:14:22 am
Does the scrambler kit bolt on to a UCE bike? 
G5 / C5?
Run what ya brung

BIO BLT

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 09:40:24 pm
I'm the happy owner of 2 Enfield Trials bikes here in the UK. I have an iron barrelled 350 Classic Trials, which I have found to be perfect for gentle(ish) trail riding with its relatively light weight, low down power, not to mention seat height and knobblies.

What's more it doesn't offend anyone, even those hikers who might usually prefer that bikers kept to the tarmac.  On the contrary, everyone we meet out has something nice to say about it, much to the irritation of my Honda XR riding mate..who has just about had enough of all the compliments...  'It was the same with your Triumph', he complains!  The bike is fun on the back roads too, but I don't do big roads on it. No fun to be had there with this machine!

Have recently taken delivery of one of Watsonian's new Trials 500 EFIs. Apart from a few niggles, quickly rectified by my very excellent dealer, I think it's going to be a great dual sport bike. As well as all of the above, it's fun on the bigger roads too...but still nice and lightweight and eminently chuckable, capable of a bit of touring and still very definately an Enfield.

By the way, the WS exhaust without Cat is definately one of their better ideas! Feels and sounds like a different bike to the standard EFI engine. :D  

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:53:01 pm by MrT »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 11:26:16 pm
Welcome aboard MrT !

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead

BIO BLT

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 11:59:00 pm
Thanks Ice.. it was actually that Zirndorf Trial Video that convinced me to buy my 350!
He makes it look so easy...and so it is on an Enfield!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:08:01 am by MrT »

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 01:03:22 am
Interesting thread!  As I wait for the Spring season of 2010 to sell my Harley and buy a G-5 Deluxe, I have considered the many ways I could set it up.  The decision has recently been made, and all the parts I need and prices from CMW or otherwise have been listed, and as soon as I take delivery of that new UCE and break it in properly, I'm off to the races (kind of).

Rather than street racing or motocross, I have always been a fan of flat track dirt racing--where Harley used to rule.  Some of my earlier bikes were British, and I always used to set them up and ride them like flat trackers.  I had an old BSA that (when I managed to get it running) spent more time sliding through the desert washes outside of Las Vegas than it ever did on the street.  In fact, with the lousy Lucas positive-ground electrics, the only light that ever worked was the brake (enough to get by in those days for daylight street riding out to the desert and back).

Later I had a Triumph Bonneville that was a decent street bike, but it seemed about twice as heavy as that Beezer, and was much less responsive out on desert trails (although it was 100cc's larger).  After watching those videos posted by Ice (thanks!), I am reminded how much fun it was back then--barely enough money for gas and beer (and drag cars I spent a fortune on).  I wonder if I can relive the past?

When I get my hands on this G-5, I am going to set it up as a "street tracker"--motocross bars, fat knobbies front & rear, and some type of solo seat (see new avatar).  I like the CMW seat with springs, but I am not sure how well it would work on any dirt flat tracks or trails I find (I do not have the 'nads I used to, so I am sure the RE will otherwise hold up fine).  Any advice on that seat?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:08:01 am by RAKe »
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 07:08:17 am

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 07:27:48 am
 In thinking through the UCE as dual sport concept. I believe the UCE would be better suited for that purpose than my  Iron Barrel.
Heres Why
1. The EFI is mapped to over 18,000 FT of altitude and EFI is unaffected by ascent/descent/camber angles like a carby..
2. The UCE engine makes more torque and horse power.
3. The UCE engine is some 40 pounds lighter. It has been said that shedding seven pounds of weight has the same affect as adding one H.P.
4. The UCE bikes come with disc brakes.  ( discs brakes work in the mud and the wet unlike drum brakes which  IMHE only want to work )

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:43:51 am by Ice »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 08:22:41 am
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Temporary thread Hijack<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                        http://www.overlandjournal.com/
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>End Hijack<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 02:02:18 pm
Ice, I examined that RE flat track shot, and it reminds me of days past (minus the trees in the background).  But I must say that my bikes never have in the past or will in the future have to haul that much weight around the track!  Your analysis of the advantages of the UCE over an iron-barrel RE is right on the money, but I never considered the large weight savings.  Another bonus!!
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB