Author Topic: Review - my new winter suit  (Read 8058 times)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 03:28:29 am
200 ain't a bad price for what you have..  being waterproof is a plus.. you said gore tex like.. sympatex perhaps?  if your boots aren't waterproof  I suggest sno -seal.. I  used it on the toes of my gore-tex boots when I had them to keep the water spray from penetrating  the leather.. and making my toes cold even though they were dry ..

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 05:03:00 am
The boots are waterproof.

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 05:33:21 am
but is the leather..?  just saying..  as I am a shoe salesman.. have been for 33 years

boots can have a gore tex liner,, which will keep your feet dry,, 

if the leather hasn't been treated.. it will absorb the water..  and your feet will be dry but cold..

I only say treat the toes to a leather waterproofer..  so the gore tex will be allowed to let your feet breath,, 

just my 2 cents

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 03:18:12 pm
The leather is waterproofed. I've used them in the rain, the water runs off like they're glass. They're dry as a bone after wiping them off.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 05:43:04 pm
ah waterproof leather..  did they tell you how to keep the leather that way?

Once the leather was silicon impregnated , think old Timberland,, some people got carried away with the silicon and dried the leather out and it cracked,,

good looking boots btw..

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 06:01:10 pm

I wear these...

I've looked all over for boots like that, Tourmaster, Sidi, etc but couldn't find any in a wide size.  Finally found www.cruiserworks.com and while they don't carry your style they do have water proof boots in wide sizes, $269  :-\ 
Then I ran across this on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/ykqpdvx  Against my better judgement I ordered a pair.  I was pleasantly surprised when they arrived and were exactly as advertised.  I guess the deal is that Cruiserworks changed makers and had these left over.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 06:04:18 pm
ah waterproof leather..  did they tell you how to keep the leather that way?

Once the leather was silicon impregnated , think old Timberland,, some people got carried away with the silicon and dried the leather out and it cracked,,

good looking boots btw..

I haven't added anything to them, but others who own these boots have told me they get good results with mink oil. Would you recommend something else?

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 06:13:49 pm
I've looked all over for boots like that, Tourmaster, Sidi, etc but couldn't find any in a wide size.  Finally found www.cruiserworks.com and while they don't carry your style they do have water proof boots in wide sizes, $269  :-\  
Then I ran across this on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/ykqpdvx  Against my better judgement I ordered a pair.  I was pleasantly surprised when they arrived and were exactly as advertised.  I guess the deal is that Cruiserworks changed makers and had these left over.

I also have somewhat wide feet and often have trouble finding shoes/boots to accomodate them. These boots aren't available in wide sizes, but I guess they run naturally wide because they fit me fine, very comfy. I have no problem with the width. Here's a link...

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=82&cat=7

And this is where I got them...

http://newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/tour_master/solution_wp_road_motorcycle_boots.html

Also, I don't like boots with a flat toe because I don't like my toes being cramped. These have plenty of toe room, but they're not big and bulky, so they don't make it difficult to get my toe under the shifter.

Something not mentioned in the description is that they have a piece of armor in the upper half of the shin above the flex panel.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 08:04:08 pm
the way mink oil waterproofs is by penetrating the leather fibers..and that will soften the leather

try to find out what the factory used in the waterproofing of the leather.. and use their guidlines

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 08:52:23 pm
The best is Pecards Leather Dressing.

They make the same formulation as motorcycle leather dressing, antique leather dressing, and classic leather dressing, just labled differently for different markets.

The leather dressing is like a paste, and needs to be rubbed in with the fingers, and then needs to be allowed to penetrate the leather for about 6 hours. Then buff it briskly with a clean cotton cloth, and that will buff the residual waxes on the surface, and it will come out looking awesome, and very well protected.

They also make a cream, but that isn't really for heavy duty items, and more for gloves and stuff.
The leather dressing is what's best for leather jackets, leather pants, and boots.

New leather should not need any dressing for at least a year of wear.
Then, maybe once a year after that, if it looks like it is getting dry or scuffed.

I've also used mink oil, and that works too.
But, I think Pecards is better.
Home of the Fireball 535 !