Author Topic: Review - my new winter suit  (Read 8056 times)

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 06, 2009, 08:41:26 pm
I bought a new winter suit last week, and I posted a review of it on another forum. I thought you guys might like to see it as well. It's going for a fantastic price and I'm really happy with it. Here's a link to it...

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/hot+deals+-+cruiser/fieldsheer_cyclone+suit+-+one+piece

On with my review. Here's the front and back of the suit. You can see the reflective material in the pictures. It has cargo pockets on the thighs and one on the chest...

There are stretch panels across the lower back and the knees...

The sleeves have snaps to adjust for different arm sizes and a strap to secure the cuff (and the left sleeve has a zippered pocket)...

The front zipper goes all the way down to the crotch, and it has a velcro-secured flap over it all the way up; there are waist straps to secure the suit tighter around the middle, and there's a flap across the lower half of the front opening...

The legs have a strap to secure the bottom around your ankle, and they unzip all the way up to the waist (the leg zippers also have a velcro-secured rain flap over them)...

The leg of the liner also unzips...

The hip protection is nothing special, just a flat pad. But it's better than nothing. It's held in place with velcro so you can remove it...

It has Armadillo armor in pockets over the elbows and knees...

And the shoulders...

This is the back pad (which I'll leave out because I always wear my Spidi back protector)...

The liner is secured in place with a combination of zippers, snaps, and velcro, and it has a breast pocket on the inside. It has a full-circumference zipper around the waist so you can separate it into upper and lower halves...

There's a neck warmer/windbreak that attaches to the outside back of the collar with a zipper, secures in the front with a snap, and the end wraps around and secures with velcro. Here it is separated from the collar...

And attached and done up (it covers my whole neck and it's very comfortable)...

There are zippered vents with mesh inside on the chest and the front of the shoulders...

And on the back of the shoulders and the middle back...

It's made of something they call Carbolex, supposed to be super tough (according to the literature, it's more than twice as tough as nylon in an abrasion test and a tear test), and waterproof/breathable like Gore-Tex.

I couldn't make much sense of the sizing chart because the numbers didn't seem to match up with my measurements, so I just made an educated guess based on my usual clothing sizes, and it turned out to be the perfect size. I'm 5' 10", 210 lbs, and I ordered an XL. In the riding position, the length is perfect: the end of the legs and sleeves are right at my ankles and wrists.

The location of the knee armor concerned me at first. They were too low. But when I removed them to take pictures of them, I realized the pocket is adjustable up/down for three positions. I moved them up into the middle spot and now they're correctly positioned over my knees. It covers my knee and about 1/3 of the way down my shin. Same with the elbow/forearm.

I tried it on how I think I would be dressed for cold weather, with regular long johns, a set of fleece thermals over that, then the suit with liner (there would still be room for a set of sweats as well, but I didn't try that). It fits good all over (although I have no use for those two waist straps until I lose a few pounds >:( ). It was very toasty; I started getting pretty warm after having it on for a minute or two. With the removeable liner and using various layering (or none), it should do fine throughout all the winter temperature ranges.

I wore it riding in the rain last night (without the liner, as it was a bit cold but not cold enough to need it; I just wore my long johns instead). It kept me dry, not a single wet spot anywhere inside the suit. I had my cell phone and wallet in the cargo pockets and they came out dry. I also used the neck warmer/windbreak, it did a good job of keeping the wind out and keeping my neck dry and warm.

At the price they're selling it for, I think this suit is a steal and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for something for the cold/wet weather.

And yes, I know I have an ugly carpet.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:57:50 pm by Slider »
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:11:40 pm
By the time I got all that together it would be spring time.  ::)

Newspapers stuffed in all the appropriate places.   :D

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 10:19:04 pm

Newspapers stuffed in all the appropriate places.   :D

;D :D ;D
I bought the surplus "Swedish Military Motorcycle Suit". It took 20 minutes to get the pants on it had so many buttons. I felt like the Michelin Man when done up. I prayed I didn't have to pee. The first bum I come across with a "will work for food" sign at the corner is going to get it tossed at him from a moving car.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:18:39 pm
I may have to finally dump my 50 yr old leather jacket.  ERC   ;D
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 02:15:37 am
Shines... 8)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 02:45:48 am

It's just a suit and a liner. Takes about 30 seconds to slip it on, zip up the front and legs, and tighten the cuffs. All the features don't mean making adjustments every time you put it on.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 05:49:10 am
Thanks for that.

If you are on a budget, you can wear your favorite winter hunting clothes ,with  rain gear over that as a wind breaker, of course it has no body armor.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 03:57:26 am
Slider:

Thanks for the post. With the XL, can you wear it over street clothes (without the liner)? I'm guessing not, since you said you wore it over your long johns.

With the vents, do you think you can wear it in the summer?

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 04:15:16 am
I've gone through so many winter wears and years

I've used newspaper like others have..  when the time called..  coldest I ever put myself through without electric clothing was 15 below.. not counting wind chill factor..

Hands shook so hard in oklahoma the waitress took my coffee to where i set drenched dripping water all over the floor..

warmed up with soup and the coffee..  and padded myself for the ride sothwest

what can I say I was so much older then

i'm younger then than now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfashDI6vU

found whisky works well in new mexico with snow on the ground..

I found I was always the most healthy when I rode year round..

Barbour A7 And A8 with sweaters is all I use now..  no armour.. I go out of my way not to fall..

have had lots of practice

only 50 years and not counting or at least forgetting as far as riding a MC goes

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 04:20:26 am
Slider:

Thanks for the post. With the XL, can you wear it over street clothes (without the liner)? I'm guessing not, since you said you wore it over your long johns.

With the vents, do you think you can wear it in the summer?

When I said I just wore my long johns when I rode in the rain the other night, I meant that was the only cold weather item I wore under the suit. I also had on my jeans and a t-shirt. There would have been room to wear a sweat shirt or light jacket if I wanted to, so there's no problem wearing the suit over street clothes.

I don't know about summer. The vents should help, but there's no ventilation from the waist down. Until I can actually try it in warm weather, I'm guessing spring would be the latest into the warmer months I would wear it. But I'm not really concerned about that because I didn't want it for summer anyway, just cold and/or wet weather. For summer, I wear my Joe Rocket mesh jacket.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 04:46:45 pm
Looks good and warm.
I like that.

I, like Scotty and probably many of the rest of us, have frozen my ass off riding motorycycles.
I'm done with that.

Give me a nice warm coverall anyday, when it's really cold out.
That one looks like it would do the job just fine.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 05:07:05 pm
I, like Scotty and probably many of the rest of us, have frozen my ass off riding motorycycles.
I'm done with that.

Same here, back in my early days of riding. I had no gear other than my helmet, some cheap gloves, and a leather jacket I borrowed from a friend for a while. I used the old newspaper trick my dad told told me about, and I rode constantly in the rain, hail, fog, sleet, icy roads, you name it. My bike was my only transportation for a few years, so I was always out there regardless of the weather. I spent entire winters continually soaked and freezing. This was college and I was too busy partying to spend money on ridiculous things like winter riding gear. Beer was my first priority.

But that was twenty years ago. I was much younger and tougher then and I don't think my body could handle that kind of abuse now. Like you said, I'm done with that.

I know of some who bought this suit at the earlier price of $350. With the reduced price, it's a $200 investment I'm glad I made. I think it's a great deal for dealing with the cold/wet.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:12:44 pm by Slider »

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 10:28:30 pm
What colour shoes would go with that?
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 11:40:00 pm

Always a leader in style, Uncle prefers a riding suit that matches his personality:

REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 12:29:18 am

I wear these...