Author Topic: driving with sidecar  (Read 5661 times)

Monty

• Scooter
on: November 05, 2007, 04:02:02 am
Is it easier to drive a bike with a side care or more difficult.  The dealer I was talking to told me it was more difficult to drive.  Mainly it was harder to turn corners.  Also can you put a car seat in  sidecar.  Thanks for any feed back.  Monty

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:20:55 am
The sidecar turns the machine into a rig, not a bike - nothing at all you know about riding a bike counts. It is more stable, and you don't need to put your feet down, but after that everything is different.
You don't ride a rig, you drive it - steering is something you need muscles for, as you have to turn the handlebars in the direction you want to go. Speed is also a different sensation with a rig - it is a lob sided three wheel vehicle, and as such, behaves oddly.  To maintain rapid progress round corners, you have to hang off the side of the seat, in the direction you wish to take, or you will not make the corner - In left hand bike, right hand sidecar situations - US setup, the left handers tend to lighten the rear of the bike, making a nose dive very possible, and the right handers lighten the sidecar wheel, making it highly probable to lift.

I try very hard not to lift the rear of the bike, that can hurt, but the sidecar wheel is often up in the air - known affectionately as flying the chair.

I prefer the carrying capacity of the rig - I can get a day's purchases at the supermarket into the trunk, or round my Lady's legs - try that on a two wheeler. 

The techniques required for safely controlling a rig are totally different to those needed to control a solo motorbike, so could be construed as more difficult. The strength requirement is very real - the faster you go, the more difficult it is to turn corners. There are skills that need learning but when learned, the rig I have is way more fun than anything on two wheels. (mine is two wheel drive, and will go anywhere a jeep will.)

So, your dealer is right to say it is more difficult, but the truth is somewhat more involved than just that.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 12:59:46 am
Monty: I saddens me to say this, but Indy is correct (as usual). Just funnin' Indy.   ;D

I bought my hack in Aug.  Pic in the gallery. I had no serious experience on a bike or hack before Aug 07. It's not that hard, but you need to be aware of what you are doing. What Indy did say was very accurate. Once you get comfortible/experienced it will be a fun ride. You will find you are able to do more w/your hack then w/a two wheeler.   ;)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 05:02:32 am
PLEASE read the book about sidecar driving available at www.royalenfieldusa.com or better yet get some sidecar training. Driving one is NOTHING like riding a bike. In a right hand turn (with the car mounted on the right), you can raise the wheel and lose control unless you have practiced and understand how to compensate. When the wheel lift, all of a sudden you are a two wheeled vehicle again and the handling changes big time. They are very safe when you know what you are doing, but nothing you know about motorcycle riding really applies here. It is not rocket science, but training is a very good thing.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 12:24:36 am
RE1:  Amen to that!   8)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry