Author Topic: Dateline Chennai  (Read 13304 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 05:20:16 pm
Don't worry. First of all you cannot compare our prices to UK prices. For some  reason everything cost more there on a relative basis. How is that you can buy a Bonnie much cheaper here than in the UK? The one thing I can guarantee you is that the new bikes will be less expensive than a Bonnie - period.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 03:47:36 am by Royal Enfield 1 »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 02:04:34 pm
That's sounds terrific.  I think I'd like to replace my Bonnie with a UCE when they hit the States next year.  That'd be an Attaboy!, not an Awwwww, Foosh! ;D
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 01:53:14 pm
Don't worry. First of all you cannon compare our prices to UK prices. For some  reason everything cost more there on a relative basis.

There is a simple explanation with regards to why all items sold in the UK are at a Preium Price.

It is simply because we seem to like taking it in the A**. I think we're too polite or apathetic to complain.

We tried it with the Colonials with the tea shipment to Boston and look where that ended up!

I spoke with the UK importer with regards to the price difference between India home market Enfields and UK imports. I got the "much higher specification and finish" speech.

I waited until he finished and told him his speech smelt of B.S.
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 02:29:17 pm
BS indeed,--I have been to Chennai and not only seen and bought spare parts but been to the Egmore region of shops for motorcycles. The parts there made the Re parts look expensive.

I mentioned it before on this forum of the shorty exhaust that I saw for sale hanging up everywhere , it was 300 Rupees,-- thats about 6 pounds.

A sign at the dealers had labour charges for most repairs to the motorcycle, I remember catching my eye -- full engine overhaul 2000 rupees (30 pounds).

But that was last year there has probably been some deflation since then.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

David R

• Scooter
  • Bullet 65, BMW R75/5 Suzuki DR650
Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 01:58:01 pm
 ;)I sent an email to the factory site, enquiring about red bikes to the U.S. and got this reply: Dear Mr. Reid,

Thank you for your interest in the Bullet Classic.

The Bullet Classic is slated for release in the US by June 2009. All
colours will be available at that point in time.

Regards,

Andrew Anantharaj
Senior Manager - International Business.
I can sleep a little better now.

terry3111

• Neophyte
Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 08:37:46 am
I envy those at whom there is a possibility to travel.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 09:52:28 pm
I missed this first time round as I wasn't on these boards a year ago. What really jumped out at me is the comment that there was almost no need for a break in period and that the test models on this trip were thrashed from the off. Hardly what buyers of the new model are being told to do. Have I missed something?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 11:40:45 pm
I missed this first time round as I wasn't on these boards a year ago. What really jumped out at me is the comment that there was almost no need for a break in period and that the test models on this trip were thrashed from the off. Hardly what buyers of the new model are being told to do. Have I missed something?

No dealer in his right mind would tell you to do anything other than follow the manufacturer's recommended break-in procedure. 
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com