Author Topic: Anyone got a good way to set up the carb on a 500?  (Read 8993 times)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 09:43:54 am
Thanks Kevin. It only needs about 5* to miss the tank so just going outside to do it now (It's 9.45am Sunday here in the UK!)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 12:43:09 am
Ummm, raising the clip/lowering the needle = the same difference. But, I thought these bikes were set-up to run too lean from what I have read elsewhere on this forum. Doesn't that just exacerbate the problem?
You said your plug was black which indicates a rich mixture, lowering the needle a notch would make it leaner. The bikes are usually set up lean from the factory for emissions, you may have gotten a deformed or mis-sized jet from new or the clip could have been placed on the wrong place on the needle. Either can make it run richer. I would check out Kevin's suggestion about the choke first.....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 08:09:17 am
I have a new header and shorter (more free flowing) exhaust coming very soon for sound and looks. This will mean dumping the PAV system as no boss welded into the header. Will see when this mod is done what it's like. I believe they run leaner like this once done but we'll see. I have also fitted one of those small tipped Iridium plugs and will fit the boosted electronic ignition pack I built (with switchable revert back to std) soon too.
Choke/enrichment device is shutting off; definitely!

Thanks for all the input Guys!!!!!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin