Author Topic: Anyone got a good way to set up the carb on a 500?  (Read 8992 times)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
on: November 04, 2007, 09:01:39 pm
I have a std Bullet 500 ES Army. Just removed the plug and think the engine is running a bit rich as it's rather black after a run out. I think a bit of playing with the air bleed jet might be required (unless a change of mains etc is required over the std set-up etc?).

Any hints for how to get this right? Is it a question of just weakening the mixture (without going too far of course) by screwing the air bleed out a fraction at a time or what?
Thanks in advance for all hints, pointers and tips.
Chris
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 02:53:10 am
The following is from my files... 
"Idle by Carston"
Carston used to be active online and his experience and know how about these Bullets was extensive. A couple of years ago he started on an Enfield web page but it vanished... don't know what happened to him.
- Mike
<><><><><><><><><><><><
Idle...
The idle mixture is adjusted by the pilot air screw. Clockwise rotation of the pilot air screw richens the mixture. The idling speed (rpm) of the engine is adjusted by changing the closed height of the throttle slide, using the idle speed screw. The pilot jet size controls fuel flow. Jets are stamped with a number indicating the fuel flow in a given time.
A good start is to close the pilot-air srew carefully and to re-open it 11/2–2 turns again. Never tighten the pilot-air screw, this will demage the carb. The 11/2 turns correspond to one pilot jet size. If you have to turn more, use the next larger/smaller pilot jet instead. Set the idle rpm to a slightly higher speed than desired later. Open the pilot air screw until rpm drop and close it until rpm drop again. Adjust to the middle of these two settings. If the engine does not respond well to throttle opening (hesitates, stutters, stalls), you need a larger pilot jet. If the spark plug fouls (decreasing rpm until the engine stalls), try a smaler pilot jet. Finally, adjust idle rpm using the idle speed screw.
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:57:23 am
Thank you for that information. I need to reset the carb on mine, for when I get the ignition sorted out.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 06:19:03 pm
Thanks. Glad top say that is pretty much as I remember it from other carbs but nice to have my memory confirmed!!!!!!

Ducati 916 'L' twin

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 07:42:54 pm
http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

Not exactly the same carb but the tuning is the same.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:59:17 pm
Good info!!!!! Thanks  :)

Ducati 916 'L' twin

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 09:34:13 pm
If it is still to rich after adjusting the idle screw, try raising the needle jet one notch.,,,,,Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 02:04:47 am
If adjustments don't seem to make a difference it may be that the "choke" is leaking or bypassing.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 11:30:39 pm
Enrichment device/choke I'm sure is NOT leaking as I have had it all apart to cut down the operating lever (see tech tips).
I'll give it a good go when I can to check out its new 'leaner' setting but it's getting damn bl%dy cold here in south of UK @ present!!!!

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 04:41:45 am
Check the rubber cap that goes over the top of the enricher.  If it travels up and down with the choke you have a problem. Even though you will swear that the enrichener is "off" it is not. The rubber boot keeps it open enough to foul plugs regularly. It is does move up and down you can secure it with a drop of super-glue. Another common problem is the float level. I think the book suggests 28mm from the gasket surface to the top of the float (with carb held inverted), but we think 25mm is better.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 06:46:04 am
Thanks Kevin. I know the plunger is shutting off because I 'played' with the internal spring and it snaps shut with a positive 'ping' when the lever is lifted to the off position.
The rubber boot stays in place just fine too as I have lubricated that area to avoid the lifting of it with the plunger operation.
Will look at the 25mm float level part though. Thanks!

As a secondary question do any other Bulleteers find that the carb top rests against the rear tank lug when the carb is set in the upright position? Just wondered how OK it is to set up a small air gap so carb is angled a fraction as the carb has to be able to work when the bike is angled over I know but is it OK for sustained 'straight & level' running without wearing anything?

Ducati 916 'L' twin

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 08:58:02 pm
If it is still to rich after adjusting the idle screw, try raising the needle jet one notch.,,,,,Dew.
Er.....I messed up......that should be lowering the needle jet one notch not raise. I'm suprised someone didn't catch me on that......Dew
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 02:57:11 am
my carb needs to be rotated very slightly to miss the tank. I wouldn't expect it to be a problem, and it isn't; some carbs operate tilted down at pretty extreme angles, no big deal.

Dew; I read that as raising the clip one notch, giving you the benefit of the doubt.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 06:46:05 pm
Ummm, raising the clip/lowering the needle = the same difference. But, I thought these bikes were set-up to run too lean from what I have read elsewhere on this forum. Doesn't that just exacerbate the problem?

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 01:40:10 am
You can tilt that carb at least 20 degrees with no ill effect. Be careful when you move it that the throttle cable does not jam.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com