Author Topic: Motto Guzzi V7  (Read 6575 times)

flintweld

• Bulleteer
on: October 29, 2009, 03:56:06 pm
Anyone here own one? Have ridden one?
When I first espied one (on this forum) it triggered my gag reflex,
but lately I've become mesmerized. (how does that happen?)

Anyhow, what say y'all?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:12:13 pm
The V7 Classic ..... thumbs up!

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 05:31:30 pm
i always dig moto guzzi's. like to have a cali vintage. the v7 looks terrific. sounds like a good commuter
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 06:23:30 pm
I've been looking at one since I sold my Harley.
Only thing that is stopping me is Guzzi is not the most stable company out there right now. From what I understand they closed the original factory and moved it to the factory of the parent company Aprilla.
I don't know if there is any truth to all that but when HD closed the Milwaukee factory the quality went down for years.
Aside from that it's #1 on my list right now just a bit ahead of the Triumph T100.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 06:50:41 pm
i've been digging the aprilia shiver 750 also...plain basic bike with different look. but from what i understand, aprilia and moto g are more like sister companies owned by piaggio, an old company also. the aprilia rsv factory is winning on the track, so that should be good advertising for that entire family of bikes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:58:30 pm by rideOn »
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:14:18 pm
Earl says the V7 is about flawless.  He didn't want to, but ened up in love. 
I think it looks like if you're over 6' tall, you might be a little cramped?  It's a compact bike.
If I got one, that strap on the seat would have to go- it ends up in a wrong place if you lean into the wind.  That's about the only bad thing I could say.

Saw a Triumph yesterday I didn't know existed- a STREET Triple.  A 3 cylinder 650.  Not especially vintage, but still interesting.  I like the 650 size, too. 
Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 08:22:47 pm
I "sorta like" some of these newer bikes, to a certain extent'

But they just don't "do it" for me.

If i were gonna buy a new bike, it would be something from Molnar and they are pretty expensive, and I'm not likely to be able to afford them unless I win the lootery.
But, they are gorgeous!

Here's a Molnar Manx

That's my pick for a new bike.
Since they are not road legal for new regulations, and made for the track, I'd have to buy an old Norton Atlas or something with a featherbed frame, and change the registration numbers over to the Molnar.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:27:53 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:16:36 pm
Molnars are awesome, except for the godawful ugly headlight assembly.  Looks like it melted.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:18:32 pm
Molnars are awesome, except for the godawful ugly headlight assembly.  Looks like it melted.

It's actually just that little fairing/flyscreen on there, which is the same one as on the original Manx.
It's the standard Lucas headlight assembly underneath, when it has a headlight on it. The fairiing/flyscreen can be easily removed in about 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:21:14 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 12:23:57 am
        I like the V7 very much, but have never had the chance to test ride a Guzzi. I have heard stories about major difficulties getting parts.

Uncle Ernie, I recently noticed the Triumph Street Triple also.If you like that motorcycle, you may also like the Kawasaki ER6N.650cc, similiar styling,"casette" transmission (can be removed without splitting the cases via an engine cover), single shock, but linkless, which I prefer if I have to have a single shock. No bearings or bushings to wear out and need rebuilding.Its also a naked motorcycle like the Street Triple. At least Kawasaki dealers are easy to find.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 02:21:38 am
Br. Flint, the V7 ranks very high on my very short list... Google all the European and American V7 Classic reviews and you'll be able to confirm my previous statement... I have sat on a V7 and it's a very light and well balanced motorcycle... I made all the right Guzzi v-twin sounds while on it in the showroom... (I couldn't ride it because the one my nearest dealer has is not a demo)... he hopes to get a demo bike soon... and I'll write a report as soon as I get to ride it.   
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 02:29:39 am
I think it looks like if you're over 6' tall, you might be a little cramped?.

That is a concern for me. One of those things you find out about 400 miles into a 1,500 mile trip.
The parts thing and Marelli EFI keep coming to mind too.

I really like that Manx, but then since stimulus ain't knocking on my door yet it's back to reality.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 03:04:44 am
"That is a concern for me. One of those things you find out about 400 miles into a 1,500 mile trip."  t120rbullet

Br. CJ, having sat on the V7 I can tell you that it's not any smaller than a Bullet.  In fact and since the gas tank is longer and the seat is higher on the V7, it feels roomier than a Bullet.  I think that if you fit on a Bullet you should fit on a V7... you can't go by me because, remember, I used to 5'9" on a good day; now that I'm 62 years young, who knows?!  ;)

P.S.  I look tall when I'm on Perla running at 65mph, 'though!  :D
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 12:47:06 pm
   The Bonnevilles I saw at the cycle show 2 yrs back seemed fat to me, and turned me off.
   When Uncle Ernie and I went to the Guzzi dealer a few weeks back, I had the opportunity to sit on a black V7. At 5'11, 32" inseam, I was able to flat foot the bike, but it didn't seem crampted at all. It seemed larger than the Enfield, smaller than the Bonneville, and better balanced than both. It felt a lot like my '71 Bonneville.
   While the health of the Guzzi marque is of concern, I think most of the components of the v7 come from the common parts pile and its' demise shouldn't be of grave concern.
   At $8500, is it $2100 better than the C5? That is the question.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 02:23:27 pm
Good grief- they're 2 entirely different bikes.
If you're only considering (retro) looks- maybe not.
If you're a serious rider, then yes.  Definitely.
Run what ya brung