Author Topic: Wish tyres (tires) weren't so expensive  (Read 5177 times)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 26, 2009, 05:39:57 pm
I am UK based and have just ordered a rear Avon AM26 for my Bullet from Hitchcock's.

With new tube, rim tape, VAT and shipping I am out 95 GBP.

:(

Seems a bit dear, and I've got to rive the thing on yet. A few years ago I bought four new cheapo tyres for my car for 125 GBP fitted.

:)

Are the sidewalls of my new bike tyre woven with gold thread or what?

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:44:35 pm
You will be crying in 6 or 7 thousand miles when you have to replace it.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 05:44:46 pm
You, my UK friend, are a victim of advancing years and are in denial of inflation.  ;D

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 05:54:53 pm
I, money ain't worf wot it was.

The last motorbike tyre I bought was in 1982, or there abouts. I think an Avon Roadrunner was 30 GBP or so - which pretty much checks out with what they are charging now.

However, car tyres do seem a bargain by comparison.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 06:20:02 pm
     Most of the cost associated with any manufacturing process are in planning, procurement, machinery, and post production inventory management including distribution. These costs are surprisingly consistent whether you are producing 1 or 100 or 1,000 or 10,000. The more you produce the more you can amortize the cost over thew larger number of units. So to get the cost down you must produce more. That is why car tires are relatively cheaper. Where Avon might produce 300 motorcycle tires of one specific type/size at a time, an auto tire might have a production run in the thousands. Add in the cost of engineering for the specific requirements of motorcycle tires and I am impress the prices are so reasonable.
     The cheaper motorcycle tires use the more common and cheaper automotive criteria, including manufacturing techniques.  This is why they handle so much worse. They are more closely akin to car tires.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:04:53 pm
What about kenda or Cheng Shin?
Run what ya brung

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:24:42 pm
Man let me know where I can find some whitewalls in something other than the 16" (harley) sizes, and I'll give you 10,000,000 points!  (the points are made up and don't matter)
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 09:14:52 pm
What about kenda or Cheng Shin?

I think Cheng Shin got out of the motorcycle business
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 10:31:19 pm
Good riddance. Don't want Chinese products on my RE, especially tires. Probably got lead in em.  ;)

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 11:03:28 pm
Just bought an Avon AM26 for my bike (putting it on now) for 80 bucks U.S. with shipping thrown in.  Had a small crate coming down from the U.S. anyway, so my daughter put it in the crate.  Nice tyre, but I think if i get 6000 miles from it I'l be lucky.  That's because it isn't really hard rubber.  However, the amount of miles I am likely to ride on this small island fits fairly well with the mileage.

It is from a store with Super in the name.

I get a feeling that the U.S. and probably England too are about to get hit by price rises.  Price rises for small things like tyres and prices going down for big ticket items like houses.

Nobody gets paid much here so the prices seem to stay low, when things are available that is. My brother-in -law is making about 25 u.s. dollars for a days work.  Thing is the world is gradually becoming more universal in its pricing, I think.  Gasoline here has remained at about five u.s. dollars per gallon.  The world will be entering a new era - it is called over-population.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 11:44:57 pm
The original poster mentioned the VAT (value added tax). They are trying to get one here in this country. Then the Cap and Trade, inflation/dollar sinking, and those prices will seem cheap. Here in NC, because the government spends more than the collect, they want to get a tax on services.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 02:45:40 pm
Man let me know where I can find some whitewalls in something other than the 16" (harley) sizes, and I'll give you 10,000,000 points!  (the points are made up and don't matter)
seems like cooper or coker had a limited selection of white walls...
              - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 02:53:45 pm
Yep, all true. Wish our money wasn't being printed so fast, and dropping in value.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 05:27:06 pm
The original poster mentioned the VAT (value added tax). They are trying to get one here in this country. Then the Cap and Trade, inflation/dollar sinking, and those prices will seem cheap. Here in NC, because the government spends more than the collect, they want to get a tax on services.

VAT is no fun at all. I once thought that purchase taxation and pay as you earn taxation were supposed to be alternative systems. In the UK we do both at the same time, so you are effectively taxed on already taxed income.

Soon your country will be like ours.

:(
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 07:30:13 pm
We have national, state, county, and city taxes.  Most items taxed and how much varies from state to state.  In some states, food sales are taxed, some states there is no tax on food sales.  Almost all places tax restaurant sales.  Several layers of tax on gas.  On my car and motorcycles, I have insurance, title transfer fees, state value tax yearly, registration fee every year, yearly inspection, and registration renewal fees.   County and city tax on my house / real property every year.  National and state taxes on any income.  Taxes on my inheritance when my parents or any other relative dies. 

I have a sneaking suspicion folks in the USA re taxed about as much s folks in England, but we like to pretend we're not.  I also have a feeling we waste more than the English government, but I could be wrong.
Run what ya brung