Author Topic: The bolt of bolts  (Read 1714 times)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 25, 2009, 08:03:55 pm
You know, that single (optimistically specified) bolt that holds the number plate carrier, back light assy. and turn signals onto the rear fender of some models? I can't think why RE didn't run it the full length of the bike so that it could do even more useful work.

With a bit of ingenuity they could have threaded it through frame, motor, headstock and casquette. Then you could have knocked the whole machine down into its component parts by undoing a single fastener - thus you would only need one spanner.

Can't get more QD than that.

:)
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 08:08:40 pm
That bolt was shortened by popular demand to only hold the tail section on. It seems that too many people were removing the old-style bolt and forgetting how to put it back in. It's all simpler now .....  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 08:16:51 pm
I can see the problem that original spec fastener you speak of might have caused if, for example, you stopped at the road side to check on your rear light wiring. In an absent minded moment you could have finished up knee deep in Bullet parts. Yeah, it makes sense to have removed the front 90 percent of that fixing - this forum would have been overloaded with non-sprag clutch horror stories otherwise.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:21:38 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:23:05 pm
 ;D I just love this forum ..... !! Heeheehee!!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 09:55:13 pm
What?!  Did somebody say NON-SPRAG?!!

I'm intriqued that you would talk dirty like that in here. 
Don't stop NOW ~
Run what ya brung