Author Topic: Just how important is battery voltage..................!!!!!  (Read 4795 times)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 01:10:31 pm
Just one more comment on the Boyer Bransden. The output of the VR is not, according to their web page, at full output until 2500 rpm. A Bullet at 40 mph in top gear is only at 2000 rpm. Meaning, without a battery, your lights will be at reduced output. With a battery it will not be charging.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 02:07:18 pm
L-7  was there an indication that the system was charging  ie what did the ammeter say?
If the ammeter showed zero, you were not charging.
have you been using the electronic ign. for a long time, or was it a new install ? 
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 03:45:57 pm
I recently fitted a boyer bransden powerbox to replace the OEM regulator and rectifier units. 
The only downside is you turn the ignition key off and the bike keeps running.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 08:08:34 pm
I recently fitted a boyer bransden powerbox to replace the OEM regulator and rectifier units. 
The only downside is you turn the ignition key off and the bike keeps running.

That's interesting. Do you need to turn the key on to start?

Oh mistyped on my above post. At 2500 rpm is 42 mph true speed. Still according to their web page it doesn't reach full output until 2500 rpm. So under 42 mph the charge wouldn't be adequate. Have you noticed any effects or dimmer lights at lower speeds?

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 08:31:02 pm
Sounds like what happened to me, stator was loose, rubbing magnet. Ammeter would not move,died after a mile or so. Took a while to figure it out. haven't had a problem since. I have electronic ignition. 1999, still running with the same battery that came with the bike two years ago.

dereckcycles

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 03:05:48 pm
Would a bad battery also cause the turn signals to flash quickly?  Unfortunately do to a layoff and move my '07 bullet Deluxe had to sit quite a bit.  Finally had the opportunity to ride again.  Tried to kick it but no go the battery was dead so the electric starter wouldn't work.  Charged the battery a bit and was able to get it started, ran fine on a short ride.  Couple of days later had to charge the battery again to get it to start.  When the battery was dead I couldn't even kick start it, once it was charged I could kick it on the first or second kick, usually.  On saturday I went on a 50 mile ride and everything was fine.  Yesterday the battery was dead again.  After a 20 minutes or so on the charger I was able to kick it with no trouble.  I let the bike warm up a bit then tried to take off, and the bike died.  Kicked it alive again but it was running rough.  Idle was erratic, usually it idles nicely.  I rode it about 10 miles.  I stopped and shut it of a couple of times and the electric start never worked.  I was able to kick start it every time, which I prefer to do anyway.  when I got home and pulled into the garage my turn signal was still on and i realized that it was flashing very quickly much faster than usual.  Could that be caused by the battery being bad, or a fuse going out, or something else?
2007 Bullet Deluxe

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 03:19:25 pm
not sure about the flasher but I'm betting a new battery is needed. A bad battery can give the symptom of a fuel problem...  spitting and coughing...   bad idle.
                   - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 04:35:04 pm
To Dereckcycles, bad battery notwithstanding, i am fairly certain the turn signal problem can be cured by finding and rectifying the poor connection at one of the "bullet" connectors.Dielectric grease is king.
Robert & REnfield in Michigan.