Author Topic: Mileages on the C5/G5  (Read 23773 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 01:46:14 am
I bought the first year production run and am very happy with it, if no one buys the first year, there may not be a second. ;)
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 02:43:46 am
excellent point...
Oh Magoo you done it again

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 10:47:10 am
Well I didn't mean to offend. From what I have heard and seen of the US Royal Enfield team I have no doubt that if I had purchased my bike there, I'd be a much happier person.

Indeed I usually mention dealers and Watsonian Squire and my info states I'm in the UK, so poor service and complaints about dealers should be easy to note that I'm not trying to put any blame on RE US or even RE in general.

However, the quality of my bike as a machine IS, in my opinion, sub-standard. Maybe I'm just the unlucky few, and the US C5's came out some time later than the early UK batch so maybe we early birds were just unlucky, but I've not made anything up or blown anything out of proportion on what has gone wrong.

I listed all problems with the bike as was originally asked, and I don't even really mind about things like the seat and the silencer discolouration and I state thus, but when the problems add up and as of now, I'm without the ability to ride yet again, it does make one wonder whats going on.

I tend to post here as I enjoy the people who post here and this wether by design or not, is the best source for RE outside of India. Unfortunately discussing service to anyone including directly with the official UK dealers and importers does nothing to improve their service as they seem unwilling.
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 03:19:14 pm
I apologize for being a bit blunt with a few of my previous comments.

From what I 've been reading here, if I was in a similar situation, I'd avoid any further warrantee claims, and take over the responsibility for care and repair of my own bike, as the evidence presented seem to suggest that the UK service network seems to be unsatisfactory in being as accommodating as expected.
At some point, it becomes evident that you are not going to get the service that you expected from them in a timely manner(if at all), and it becomes apparent that you must take over the responsibility for the bike's well-being yourself, so as to avoid further aggro from the UK service network.

While this might not seem to be the ideal solution, it is one solution which removes part of the aggravation, and still keeps the bike running.
That's what many of us do from day one, with our older classic models.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for the factory diagnostic and service items for the electronic ECU and EFI to be available for customers to take over their own work.
And that may already be available, but I just haven't looked into it.
That would be the first stuff I'd buy, if I were a UCE owner.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:30:26 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 06:45:44 pm
REM is most defiantly a hands on bike.

I have had no real problems with my AVL engine. ( I unplugged the side stand switch for no-start problem). Its not ever left me walking.

The rest have been small issues with the frame.  I am amazed with the contradictions on it. The hand work on the aluminum , the paint and other artistic stuff is amazing, then a look behind the head lamp makes me wonder if the department head of  wiring  was sick or on holiday the day my RE went in production.

Over all I am happy with CMW , my dealer and my RE motorcycle.

P.S, my seat leatherette needs some work, But its still a great ride, and a real head turner.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

vnsfxr

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 12:48:08 am
Well I didn't mean to offend. From what I have heard and seen of the US Royal Enfield team I have no doubt that if I had purchased my bike there, I'd be a much happier person.

Indeed I usually mention dealers and Watsonian Squire and my info states I'm in the UK, so poor service and complaints about dealers should be easy to note that I'm not trying to put any blame on RE US or even RE in general.

However, the quality of my bike as a machine IS, in my opinion, sub-standard. Maybe I'm just the unlucky few, and the US C5's came out some time later than the early UK batch so maybe we early birds were just unlucky, but I've not made anything up or blown anything out of proportion on what has gone wrong.

I listed all problems with the bike as was originally asked, and I don't even really mind about things like the seat and the silencer discolouration and I state thus, but when the problems add up and as of now, I'm without the ability to ride yet again, it does make one wonder whats going on.

RE is not the only company with problems on their bikes. Ducati has had problems with their Sport Classic line, Tanks spreading, pimpling, chrome peeling, EFI issues. While I have had all of these issues on my GT1000 the Dealers and Ducati have worked to correct and or replace items to make the bike right.

Reading through this thread it seems that the dealers you have are more of a lemon than the bike.

Being from the "Land of Fruits and Nuts" (California) I have no experience with RE products but do plan to check them out when they become available here next year.

Keep the info coming,

Vince

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #36 on: November 08, 2009, 01:46:12 am
As I look at the "fix" for the seat I realized that I didn't upload a picture of the finished product. I will be back in the office on Tuesday and will try to remember to do that. They look better than factory new when trimmed like this.

I would have to agree with James last post. The issues he has experienced are very real and I think I got a bit defensive about how hard our dealers work herein the US  to service their customers.

It occurred to me today while writing the factory that the recall may have been a blessing in disguise for us in the US. It gave Scooter Bob and our dealers like Gabor and Vince a chance to go through these "early models" intimately before they got to the customers. I think this helped take care of niggling issues that may have come from the factory.

In service  so far they have been wonderful. We have had a couple of side stand switches go bad, an O2 sensor, a couple of improperly crimped connectors on the EFI system. I think Chris from this line had one of those. The only way to find them was to look from the back side and really check the connector out. Simple to fix, difficult to find.
The usual shipping damage, paint blemishes etc. We had one petrol tank with a lot of junk in it. Turned out is was from the gas in that area, but it was mysterious at first. Some issues with the solo seat covers (as mentioned below). The Brits had a couple that vibrated more than they should. They loosened up the engine/transmission  mounting bolts and then re tightened them and all was well. I may have missed some things (if I did they might be on this forum). It will be interesting to see how things progress as more miles accumulate on the fleet.

We are VERY interested in how Gabor does by having them in his rental fleet in Phoenix. So far so good. This type of use would have been unthinkable with the iron barrel bikes.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #37 on: November 08, 2009, 11:51:39 am
I've put 3,600 trouble free miles on my C5, it just keeps getting better.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:07:21 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: November 08, 2009, 11:15:46 pm
Who in the hell opened that can of worms, sorry fellas  :). But seriously, thanks for the input, both for and against, it's what I was looking for, just knowing what to look for in the future. I don't like nasty surprises coming out of left field. As the US and the UK have had the bikes for some time longer than we have, I'm just trying to gauge owners opinions favorable or otherwise. I already own the bike it's more of being prepared for what may lay in the future for example the possible problem with the connections to the fuel pump etc. Keep up the good work and thanks again.
James C5 your views and opinions are appreciated, and the replies from Kevin Ace.cafe, r80rt, REpozer and all others are very informative and have been taken on board.
Cheers and again thanks

From the land down under.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: November 09, 2009, 03:25:48 pm
Hey Hocko, feels like a nest of Hornets eh? I just have to weigh in here since i was born,raised,and worked in the UK auto repair industry for some time.In England the after sales situation is just so different,especially compared to the US.Every where else in the world people are used to long and all encompassing warranties, thanks in no small part to the Japanese.The British have a long standing tradition of just liking or lumping it. This seems to be slowly changing but will take some time to fall into line with the rest of the world. I know this because i work on Land Rovers,shall we talk service issues?Now there is a can of worms brother.
Greetings from Robert and REnfield in Michigan.
PS. Hope this post is'nt too far off topic.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 03:57:05 pm
So I'd venture to say when it comes to Enfields it's great to be in the US of A.

Maybe things are going too far out of context.
My G5 has got almost 3,500 miles on it and the only real setback has been the broken connection on the fuel injector. Not 1 adjustment aside from the chain.
My 95 by the time it had that many miles it was on it's 3rd piston, a complete valve job and hundreds of adjustments.
And I came back for more (3 more)!
I'd say REM is winning but a Bullet is still a Bullet and as such is a owner interactive bike.

Can of Worms? Na, just free speech.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 04:46:30 pm
Next few years , I would like to own a G/C-5. Just got to wear out my current Bullet. :-\
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: November 11, 2009, 11:06:15 am
Hi All
I have been off line for a week and so have missed all of the concerns/remarks about the current RE's. (particularly UK) I now feel very worried!
I have had my share of concerns with the UK side of the business, particularly with the recall. All is fine now with me and my G5. However I have put my bike into semi mothballs for the winter months, with only 1600 miles on the clock. I do wonder what is to await me next spring onwards when my mileage increases to the milages talked about with some of the other corespondents. I do think that all UK problems should be taken up with WS and there respective dealers. BUT if WS and dealers, do not communicate back to you (as in the past), what are you to do. It seems quite normal to vent your spleen on the "Rolls Royce" of forums.
How envious we are in the UK.
Maybe WS and dealers should be bombarded with emails/telephone calls, with a view in trying to force there hand. Perhaps the RE Owners Club could take an active part.
Just a thought.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #43 on: November 11, 2009, 02:08:21 pm
Hi Marrtyn,

FWIW, I wouldn't worry about it.
Just enjoy your bike, and do your normal care and maintenance, and if things need fixing, you can deal with it if/when it arises.

When I first got my older Bullet, I had read tons of complaints and warnings and horror stories on the internet about how they are constantly seizing engines and blowing up con-rods, and everything falling off the bike, and poor quality. So, I rode the bike around very carefully all the time, waiting for something to break. It was scary.
After nothing broke, and it rode fine all the time, I started forgetting to worry.
Then, I enjoyed the bike.

Now, if anything does break, which is rare, I just fix it and go on.
I've ridden my bike hard, modified it beyond plain stock, and it's a reliable motorcycle.
The UCE platform is going to be even more reliable than my bike.
Yes, some things will wear or break. It's a bike.

As Bobby McFerrin sings, "Don't worry. Be happy."
Don't allow "worries" to steal your pleasures.
Enjoy the riding, and when something breaks, fix it.
That's all there is to it. It's simple.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 01:07:38 am
I think some of it is just the nature of bikes.  There is so much more exposure of parts to abuse, weather, vibration, etc that things are bound to go wrong.  Even with new ones.  I've had niggling shit happen with every bike so far, even new Yamahas. This bike is no different.  It's a HELL of alot better than my Ural!!  Today for instance, the lock for the airbox vibrated apart on the highway and dropped open.  No harm done, and the bike actually sounded better :D.  I had to use the duct tape fix as well (now I have to go check my paint, dammit!) and have to order a new lock (went bye-bye on the road...)  just part of owning a bike to me. Any bike....