Author Topic: Mileages on the C5/G5  (Read 23771 times)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
on: October 19, 2009, 12:46:48 am
Hi all,

As you people in the States have access to the new models for a lot longer than us here down under, I was wondering what sort of mileages have been ridden and what if any issues regarding reliability etc, have been encountered in that time over the distances covered. I'm only just coming up to the 1000 km mark (Aprox. 600 miles) and have it all in front of me.

Thanks for your time and imput.

Cheers  :)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:52:49 am
4000 miles on my C5 with no problems, It's been nothing but fun for me.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:06:37 am
About 3,000 on the G5, no problems. Wish I had more time to ride.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 04:47:44 pm
I'm about 1400 and doing great!  Only issue was a little frost in the starter button this morning kept it from working.  Panicky couple minutes!  Short time in the sun and all was well.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:58:15 pm
I have got about 3,500 miles on my G5 so far.
Only problems have been an exhaust leak that has been defeating me so far (but I will win someday) and a dodgy fuel injector connector.
A small price to pay considering it was one of the first bikes off the line.
Aside from that it's been push the button and go.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 08:08:31 pm
I have got about 3,500 miles on my G5 so far.
Only problems have been an exhaust leak that has been defeating me so far (but I will win someday) and a dodgy fuel injector connector.
A small price to pay considering it was one of the first bikes off the line.
Aside from that it's been push the button and go.
CJ

Was the fuel injector connector the cause of the problem with it on your way back from the Rally?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 10:38:30 pm
Was the fuel injector connector the cause of the problem with it on your way back from the Rally?

I hope so!
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 12:21:15 am
Just less than 3000 on my G5. Had a loose wire on the fuel pump connector that left me dead on the road a couple of times. These bikes seem to get better and better with milage.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 02:19:18 am
Thanks for the replies, sounds encourging, the only problem that I have had was of my own doing by overfilling the oil at the first oil change (500km). More fool me for following the manual.

Cheers all  :)

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 09:54:35 am
2100 on mine.

Bikes been ok, but not amazing.

Connection in the headlamp needed re-crimping, I just took the bike in for it's service and apparently the bushes on my suspension are worn already!! I ride the bike very carefully and don't offroad or anything.. so a bit suspect. The parts have been ordered so will need to get a day off to take it to get the work done.

Then yesterday I was pulling away when I heard a loud pop, look down and my air filter box is hanging open. The rubbish white metal holding the latch just shattered popping the filter open. I had to get someone to ride to a DIY store and buy duct tape which is now adorning my bike to keep it shut :(

Taking it over to the local RE place now to get the parts ordered.

The 'leather'  material on the seat came unglued on one side and I had to reglue it to the seat.

Oh and the silencer is starting to yellow like others have experienced, but I've been considering replacing that anyway.

Next time I'll wait 6 months before buying a new model methinks.
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 04:54:38 pm
Well, lets see...

When we removed the piece of tape that was used to keep the air filter box closed while I was stuck out on the road, we saw the lacquer was actually pulled off. This is tape that doesn't even pull indoor paint off, incredible.

10 days later, I still can't ride, the lock is on back order with no estimate of when it will arrive, and WS will not replace the lid as "he shouldn't have put tape on it". I guess I could say the lock shouldn't have shattered after only 6 months and popping open the air filter box while on the road.

I've had enough!
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 05:27:21 pm
Well, lets see...

When we removed the piece of tape that was used to keep the air filter box closed while I was stuck out on the road, we saw the lacquer was actually pulled off. This is tape that doesn't even pull indoor paint off, incredible.

10 days later, I still can't ride, the lock is on back order with no estimate of when it will arrive, and WS will not replace the lid as "he shouldn't have put tape on it". I guess I could say the lock shouldn't have shattered after only 6 months and popping open the air filter box while on the road.

I've had enough!

Although I don't own a C5/G5 I did have a warranty on my bike the first year I owned it.  I think working with a dealer or a "Free" warranty claim is were most of my dissatisfaction came from.  Sure the bike broke but the warranty made me take less ownership of the problems. 

Your airbox issue would probably best been solved by finding a local welder and paying him a few pounds to put the tab on correctly.  Deep down we all know that an indian replacement part will be much more likely to suffer the same failure again than if a knowledgeable local craftsman had had there hand in fixing it.  Put a large zip tie around the box and ride it to a welder...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 10:17:28 am
Well the problem is I paid a good £1500 more than the previous bullet with the promise of modern reliability and have had bits snapping off all over the place. Getting stuck on Dartmoor with the air filter box dangling open I had to get home somehow, and now RE will not honour their warranty because I used a piece of tape to keep it closed until I got home!

I figured at worst a bit of tape may leave a blob of adhesive on the finish that would need to be cleaned off, not that the bikes lacquer would prove less durable than the tape!  If I had available zip ties or string and they cut into the lacquer with as much ease I'd still not be getting any help from RE UK, they simply expect customers to put up with the quality and fix / upgrade poor parts themselves. That is simply the opposite to what was promised with this "new" generation of RE's.

Dannyboy

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 12:16:11 pm
Well the problem is I paid a good £1500 more than the previous bullet with the promise of modern reliability and have had bits snapping off all over the place. Getting stuck on Dartmoor with the air filter box dangling open I had to get home somehow, and now RE will not honour their warranty because I used a piece of tape to keep it closed until I got home!

I figured at worst a bit of tape may leave a blob of adhesive on the finish that would need to be cleaned off, not that the bikes lacquer would prove less durable than the tape!  If I had available zip ties or string and they cut into the lacquer with as much ease I'd still not be getting any help from RE UK, they simply expect customers to put up with the quality and fix / upgrade poor parts themselves. That is simply the opposite to what was promised with this "new" generation of RE's.

I think you should expect better James. I have been reading posts on this forum with a view to getting one of the new bikes but I have to say that your experiences are putting me off. I think I'll wait a bit longer before taking the plunge...

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 03:04:12 pm
It may be a better engine ,  but at the core its still made in India and still and Enfield...   My advice would to fix minor things yourself and only use the warranty on major failures like dropped valves or a bad bearing.  Ride it like you stole it.  Dealers make no real money on warranty and the bike will sit waiting on parts.   My coil on my bike went out last 2 nights ago,  if I had called the or brought it to dealer I would be lucky if the part got ordered yesterday, and then I would have to wait a week for it to show up and have the dealer install it. Add to that you model is new and they seem not to have spare parts built up and have to special order your box for a 2 bit latch you could have taken and got fixed in less than 30 minutes at a welder, well,  its gonna sit, and your gonna get pissed.    Ask the dealer if they will reimburse you for a weld job if you get it fixed yourself ,  unlikely but hey,  it means you can ride there ya go.

Also, there is a reason you should not put bumper stickers on your car except for the on windows,  and thats because it will damage the paint and lower resale value. They make those decals that say they won't damage paint,  but are you really going to bet money on it, because thats what your doing if you put the decal/tape on paint.   Next time use twine..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *