Author Topic: Mileages on the C5/G5  (Read 23787 times)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 04:12:02 am
Next few years , I would like to own a G/C-5. Just got to wear out my current Bullet. :-\

I got the G5 so I wouldn't wear out my current Bullets.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #46 on: November 15, 2009, 06:43:49 pm
I think some of it is just the nature of bikes.  There is so much more exposure of parts to abuse, weather, vibration, etc that things are bound to go wrong.  Even with new ones.  I've had niggling shit happen with every bike so far, even new Yamahas. This bike is no different.  It's a HELL of alot better than my Ural!!  Today for instance, the lock for the airbox vibrated apart on the highway and dropped open.  No harm done, and the bike actually sounded better :D.  I had to use the duct tape fix as well (now I have to go check my paint, dammit!) and have to order a new lock (went bye-bye on the road...)  just part of owning a bike to me. Any bike....

I haven't taken delivery of my Clubman yet - though watch this space! - so I'm not too familiar with this lock but I think I know what you're talking about. Is there any way of preventing this? Can anything be made more secure (with loctite or similar) without stopping the lock from turning?

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #47 on: November 16, 2009, 12:21:59 am
I haven't taken delivery of my Clubman yet - though watch this space! - so I'm not too familiar with this lock but I think I know what you're talking about. Is there any way of preventing this? Can anything be made more secure (with loctite or similar) without stopping the lock from turning?
Both of those incidents happened with a C5. The clubman is a G5/E5 which has a different airbox set-up. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen on a G5/E5. I have had no problems with the side cover locks on my G5.

Post some pics of the Clubman when you get it.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #48 on: November 16, 2009, 01:32:06 am
No problem with the locks on my C5.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 08:30:16 am
The problem is easily fixed, use better locks! They're made out of that white metal alloy that tends to break way too easily. Most cheap chinese bikes I've seen have the same thing happen when locks are made with this.

For a pannier or tool box ok skimp on using cheap bits but the airbox I'd have spent the extra pennies to have a box that stays closed.

I'm guessing the lacquer was put on with dirt or fingerprints on the bike prior.. I know I have someones fingerprints under the lacquer in a few spots inc my tank, which would explain it lifting so easily.

I've been riding an XJ900 chop the past week but took my bandaged C5 out last night, she's very fun to ride, but I think I may just leave her at the dealers for awhile, the bike is going into false neutral more and more and Im having to double clutch alot.
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 09:54:30 pm
Careful James, I feel a lambasting coming on.

Maybe you should say things like : " I've  put my C5 on a pedestal , in the mean time I am sending out parts( bits) to be gold plated"

;)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #51 on: November 19, 2009, 01:48:40 pm
Both of those incidents happened with a C5. The clubman is a G5/E5 which has a different airbox set-up. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen on a G5/E5. I have had no problems with the side cover locks on my G5.

Post some pics of the Clubman when you get it.

Thanks for the info. As to the Clubman I shall be collecting it tomorrow. I didn't want to say anything right up to the confirmation that it has been registered and is ready as there have been so many delays with it. It was actually delivered to my dealer a week ago and I did go to look at it a few days ago. I must say that it looks absolutely stunning; just like the pics of course but better still in three dimensions. If the riding experience is half as good I'll be happy.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #52 on: November 19, 2009, 10:18:00 pm
We need pictures of your new bike! Congratulations on it!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: November 19, 2009, 10:39:08 pm
We need pictures of your new bike! Congratulations on it!  r80rt

Amen, Br. Clubman!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #54 on: November 20, 2009, 02:04:39 pm
I'd like to see pics of it too.
I'm a clubman bike fan!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #55 on: November 20, 2009, 04:44:27 pm
Thanks to one and all for the good wishes and I'll definitely put pics up next week. It's already too dark for pics here and I've only just got back from my first ride on it.  ;D Well, it's good innit?  :) Anyone here in the UK will know that the weather today is hardly the best for riding any bike, never mind a brand new one. I collected it about noon when the rain had eased for an hour and the roads were drying and while I was at the dealers it started raining again. Special mention for John Parker Motorcycles (is that allowed?) for offering to deliver it by van in the evening if I preferred. But I took it and rode the short distance home and then dried it and waited. By about three the roads were dry(ish) again and I put 20 miles on it. I haven't ridden a bike for ten years so it was slightly nerve wracking but overall really easy to ride and confidence inspiring. Ride was a good mix of roads and I had it up to 50 a few times but never held it at any constant throttle opening for too long. I know the handbook says 35-40 or something but 50 was achieved on only a whiff of throttle in top. I totally love the sound which is probably even better than standard with the upswept silencer. (Exhaust is probably a better description than silencer.) Very deep and throaty. Was also impressed with the gearbox and found changes very slick and neutral easy to find. Brakes feel great though were not particularly tested and handling and suspension were fine. The biggest problem I had was using the indicator switch without looking down to locate it but that is just a matter of time for sure. Also, I found the riding position very comfortable. Overall, an excellent bike and I'm sure there is a lot more to come from it. Weather forecast for the next two days is foul and I have other things to do so probably won't use it again until next week now but I have the week off and hope to get a few more miles on it between the showers and take pics too!

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #56 on: November 20, 2009, 05:55:33 pm
Clubman- Congratulations and hope the weather gets better so you can put in more ride time. Keep us informed, start your own thread about the clubman. It doesn't look like CMW sells the clubman over here, at least it's not listed in the EFI bikes.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #57 on: November 20, 2009, 07:50:21 pm
We have seen a few of the airbox locks break on this side of the pond. While not a cure, Scooter Bob has taken to using some sort of rubber lube on the mounts of the airbox to make it move more easily and putting a bit less strain on it. I believe it is the same lock as the battery box lock on a G-5. ( I could be wrong, but while looking for one for a customer I am sure that Tim-dog (our parts guru) told me that. I think the issue is specific to the use of that lock on the airbox. While battery box locks also break from time to time I think it happens less often. Definitely a warranty item. Hopefully the factory will put a fix on this. They are aware of it. If any of you have pictures of the offending part and want to e-mail them to me please do, that is always very helpful.
k m at classic motorworks dot com (take out the spaces, this keeps the bots off my back)
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #58 on: November 21, 2009, 10:30:33 am
Like the sound of the Clubman, particularly interested in the upswept Goldie style exhaust.
I think I would like one one my G5 (DL)
Don't know when these will be offered by WS as an accessory though! Will it look OK, do you think, on a G5 (DL)?

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #59 on: November 22, 2009, 04:15:34 pm
Apologies for changing the subject on this thread.  :P I'll start another about the Clubman when I put up pics next week. Just to say I think the upswept exhaust would look great on the G5. According to their website Watsonian are doing them for 100GBP which is a bargain price imo and no cat to go wrong either. Trust me, the sound is terrific!