Author Topic: Overlong choke lever  (Read 7495 times)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
on: November 03, 2007, 07:18:43 pm
I have thought for a while that the choke lever looks out of place due to its overlong appearance. Having fitted a single seat it looked worse!!

I decided to cut it shorter to improve the looks. I left the embossed 'E' from the end of the word 'choke' that was on the lever as that still looks like a choke symbol!!!
That means I have lost the 'CHOK' section.   :D
Much better IMHO and still as easy to use as ever without it looking ridiculous as before.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:31:44 pm by LotusSevenMan »
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

willbarter

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 05:33:13 am
I've been thinking about trimming the choke leaver, the picture looks good. Lately my right leg has been hitting the leaver while I get on the bike and killing the engine as I work on the leg over the tank mounting technique three months after a right knee replacement.

Just after the operation I would get on the bike from behind using the sidecar mounts as steps. One month post-op the sprag clutch locked up and I had to perform an emergency spragectomy and develop a left foot starting technique while standing between the bike and car. Fortunately the Power Arc ignition usually starts first kick, I got the bike used with a Boyer Brandson - nasty kickbacks.

Did you remove the leaver from the carb to trim it or cut it in place? I'd like to avoid hitting the leaver accidental at a traffic light being K.S. until Santa brings a new sprag. Started back to work today so less riding and more time to work on it in the evenings.   Don
'02 Classic with Cozy Rocket sidecar. Branford CT
"Ride like lightning, Crash like thunder."

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 03:04:41 pm
Good idea!
I put some highway pegs on mine this year and found that when I stretched my right leg out on the highway peg my thigh hits the choke lever and turns it on.
Thanks for the idea,
CJ 
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 04:41:28 pm
Hey T120,
Just curious, did you buy your highway pegs or make them. I have been looking for a peg setup that is simple and has foldable pegs at the end of the bar so that in folded position they would hardly be noticable.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:46:34 pm
Hey T120,
Just curious, did you buy your highway pegs or make them. I have been looking for a peg setup that is simple and has foldable pegs at the end of the bar so that in folded position they would hardly be noticable.

I was going to make up a set but a friend of mine had this old chrome twisted steel highway bar with no mounting bracket that I got for free and all I did is weld 4 square blocks on it and bolted it to the front motor mount.
It's simple and the pegs fold up and out of the way.
With long old legs it makes all the difference when riding for 12 hours straight.
If you want I can take a few pics of it tonight and post em here?
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 02:26:15 am
Please do. I am hoping CMW will offer something like this in the future, but if not, I'll be shopping around for the various bits to do what you did.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 04:05:42 am
You can also "reverse" the choke lever and mechanism. If you remove it and re-install it you can point the lever towards the inside. We occasionally get a carb from the factory that is like this.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 07:01:29 am
Willbarter.

I actually removed the lever as it would then ensure that the swarf from cutting didn't get somewhere it shouldn't and can be clamped it a vice for a 'proper' cut and file job. Too easy to damage the mechanism, scratch tank or some other disaster if I didn't do this I figured.  :o
I actually removed the plunger assy while leaving the carb in place. This was a good chance to ensure that the choke/enrichment plunger was working correctly and that the internal spring got a slight 'stretch' to make it all happen with a good snap!
The only thing I found was that there is an aluminium washer that has a flat pushed up against the screwdown nut to act as a tab washer. Hook that back with a flatblade screwdriver first and then use a 13mm (on my 2003 carb anyway) to remove the assy. Reassembly was the same but you need to push down on the nut to engage the threads as the spring that keeps the choke plunger shut tends to hold the nut up too high. You can turn for a minute and then think "This ain't goin' nowhere"  :D
Once back together don't forget to re-bend the tab washer onto a suitable flat on the brass nut.
Job done and all is well with the world!!!  :)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

willbarter

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 04:48:41 am
Great!  Thanks for the info, looks like I've got a project for this weekend.
  Don
'02 Classic with Cozy Rocket sidecar. Branford CT
"Ride like lightning, Crash like thunder."

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 01:12:36 am
Please do. I am hoping CMW will offer something like this in the future, but if not, I'll be shopping around for the various bits to do what you did.

Sorry it took so long but I put some pics of the Highway Pegs in the Mods folder in the photo gallery.
CJ 
1972 FLH "Sambo"