Author Topic: Stumped my mechanic and myself. Getting frustrated!  (Read 12031 times)

boulevard

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 02:41:21 am
Thanks for all the input! I really do appreciate it.  let me reply to some of the posts.

1.  this is now two clutch assembly's that have broken.  First one broke before I ever opened the gear box.  I just bought this bike 1 week ago.  AARG!  I was ready to do repairs but not so serious and so soon.

2.  The clutch assembly came already assembled so I know all the plates were pointed in the right direction and I don't think there was any room for error because there was really only one way that it could have gone together.

3.  After installing assembly I effortlessly put the gear box cover on.  Nothing was jammed.  The cover just slipped on and I tightened the screws.

4.  I did refill gear box with EP 90

INTERESTING THINGS THAT MIGHT HELP

1.  The screw on the new clutch assembly was cracked right in the middle (attached)

3.  I was riding it and everything sounded good for about 20 miles

WHAT I FELT WHEN IT BROKE

1. I went to pull in the clutch and it wouldn't budge.  I pulled a little harder because I was coming up on a stop light.  I did not pull really hard but I did pull again harder. 

2. In an instant all of the tension on the clutch handle was gone. because this just happened to me last Sunday I did not want to be stalled on the side of the road again.  So instead of letting the engine die I rode it in the gear I was in (2nd) all the way back home carefully listening to make sure that there wasn't any clanking or weird noises coming from gear box. 

3. Without using the clutch I carefully pushed it into neutral as I rode in to my driveway.

4. Opened up the window / cover that says "5 speed" and pushed on the clutch assembly before removing the gearbox cover.  The clutch assembly wiggled as if it was broken in some way

5.  I then opened up the gear box cover and as soon as I loosened it I heard and saw through the window the clutch assembly fall apart. 

6.  I didn't seem as if any of the parts were grinding around in there

My ignorant synopsis.  I either don't know my own strength ;D the clutch rod is pushing back on the assembly >:( or something is making it so that the clutch can't move the clutch rod and I don't know my own strength and am pulling too hard.

WIERD . . . I can't be pulling too too hard because it happens in an instant. I didn't even have time to think . . . pull harder.  You would think if I was pulling hard enough to crack my gear box cover that I would have to . . . stop . . . think . . pull hard. . . now pull harder .  . . crack . . . crap!  It happened effortlessly in an instant
06 Enfield Military

boulevard

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 02:47:55 am
A few more things.

1.  The screw was cracked at the same time as the clutch assembly.  previous post made it sound as if I installed it with a broken screw

2.  My mechanic is hardly "mine"  He is just the mechanic at the dealership I bought the bike from.  When I called him he recommended that I bring it in for him to look at.  This is 2 hours away.

3.  I have no idea how much experience he has with enfields.  They are an Enfield dealer so he must have some experience

4.   Picture of dog snuck in there . . . I should name my pictures to keep them organized . . . He does look concerned. 
06 Enfield Military

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 10:51:07 am
  Couple questions, you say you installed a new clutch and that it was pre-assembled, where did you buy it from?  Unless you changed the drum/basket and all and the new one was bolted/bound together I've not seen a clutch pre-assembled for a bike.  The parts may have beeen put in a configuration of disks and spacers to aid in counting. 

Suppose we should also ask if this was a used unit or new.  You may be fixing a prior owners problem that he had or created.  The actuating rods need to be lubed on reassembly.  Both the one under the pressure plate and the one in the transmission.  I used Amsoil red grease and that really made the clutch action smoother.  Any binding/resistance in these components makes a huge difference in required effort.

Did you go to heavy duty springs on the clutch assembly?  If so did you install only three?  (Every other bolt).  Just trying to give some more options of where to look for a cure.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 12:07:57 pm
Nice dog.     

Will is right,  you going to have to open the primary up and take apart the basket and verify things or you risk a repeat.  How many miles does the bike have?
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

hoppyre

• Scooter
  • 06 Bullet Sixty-5. 09 Suzuki Tu250x
Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 01:16:56 pm
When you get around to getting your parts for your clutch, don't forget to get a new clutch cable. With the new release lever style (07) it has a shorter cable. That way you will have more adjustment for it. Good luck,  Mark

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 02:00:05 pm
you mention 90 wt. gear oil refill....when u put everything back together on the primary, what did you fill it with (type f transmissiion or 20w50 oil)....just curious on that one..
Oh Magoo you done it again

boulevard

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 08:46:58 pm
Well I thought about this bike all night last night and came to a few conclusions. First let me respond to the posts.

1. I only replace the "clutch operating assembly" it was new and it is the piece that is in the pictures that the clutch cable connects to.

2. I didn't touch the clutch itself

3. I used gear oil from auto zone that matched what the enfield manual said to use.

4. The bike has 1700 miles on it. Mechanic said it ran fine for him. I have lots of bikes and don't have a history of being rough on them. I just happened to get the bike at the wrong time. I still love it ... Just want to get it fixed. Feels like a child is sick. I'm restless.

As I thought all night long. Here is what I think.

1. Something is causing that rod that goes through the clutch to not be "pressable" or whatever you want to call it. Something causes it to stick.

2. I pulled to hard on my clutch lever then shattering the clutch operating assembly.

3. the gear box lid must have been weakened.

4. I must have lots of leverage with the clutch lever allowing me to do a lot of damage with a little bit of strength.

if you haven't given up on me yet. What could be causing that rod that goes through the clutch(the one that the clutch operating assembly pushes) what could cause it to stick and not be pressed????
06 Enfield Military

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 09:35:55 pm
  I think I'm on the road to figuring out your clutch problem.  You haven't had the primary cover off yet I take it.  Let me know if this is the current situation.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

boulevard

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 10:08:09 pm
Oh man that would be great. No I haven't had that cover off yet.
06 Enfield Military

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 11:01:06 pm
  Okay now we're getting to the root of all problems.  Up till now you have only been working on the engagement arm/clutch cable system.

The clutch assy (pressure plate/discs/friction plates/clutch pad) are inside the primary housing.  Something is fubared/stuck/jammed up in the clutches themselves.  Let us know if you have a manual.  If you do go to clutch removal/installation.  I'd say your clutch pad is stuck to/fused to the inside of the pressure plate.  Or something (trash/metal shavings are stuck inside the system not allowing it to freely engage and disengage.  Lack of lube possibly caused seizure.  I'd definitely open the primary and start looking for the gremlin. 

Basically you probably need to do a primary drive service/major clutch service.  Not a biggy, couple hour job tops.  Let us know if you have a manual, I can probably -email you the pages from the book.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 11:08:23 pm
  Lets work on finding the piecy parts that are fubar first, our host has everything you need to fix her up to snuff.  Just go to the accessorize link and you'll find everything you need.  A virtual candy store of goodies, and they ship fast.  Let me work on downloading the pages you'll need to do the job.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

boulevard

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 11:18:19 pm
Candy store sounds good. I'll open it up tonight and post pics and see what we see. 
06 Enfield Military

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 11:52:33 pm
Hey boulevard
If you still need another transmission cover I wouldn't mind sending you mine.
Mine is also off an '06 military and is in perfect condition so the paint would match perfectly.
send me a pmg with your address if you are interested. I'll have it out tomorrow. Paypal me shipping when you get it.
chumma
ACE Fireball 001

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 12:43:11 am
  Sent you the manual page you'll need to do the job.  Don't worry about the steps to emove the chain adjuster or clutch center hub.  Loosen the cover plates a little at a time so you don't strip any threads or have springs flying.

Just have to follow the steps I gave you on how to remove the primary cover.  Make sure you disassemble the components in order noting which way the discs are assembled they have to go back the way they came off the shaft. 

If you get it apart tonight the piece I'd suspect of malfunction is the clutch pad.  If it is deformed or won't slide in and out of the shaft it's in thats not good.  It should look sort of like a nail head with a raised center portion.

Once you drain the primary note the color/quantity of fluid that was in it.  This should give you a good starting point to work from.  Take pictures of what you find as you work..makes our job helping easier.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

boulevard

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 05:25:07 am
well I opened her up and I found a cracked spring washer part number 140346.

I will upload pictures first thing in the morning before work.  They are all on my camera and I need to upload to my other computer.

After taking off the primary cover and draining the oil I found a piece of a washer a little over a quarter inch long sitting in the bottom of the pan or whatever it is called.  After I took the clutch plates off I saw the broken washer smiling at me  ;D  I did pull out clutch rod pad and it looked unharmed.

As with anything I think now hmmm what caused the washer to break?  I will upload lots of pictures tomorrow and see if you guys see anything else suspicious. 

BTW I am beginning to think this forum is the best thing since sliced bread and 2 wheeled vehicles.  There is no way I would have made it this far with my non-grease monkey self. 
06 Enfield Military