Author Topic: RIP Buell  (Read 7324 times)

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 05:35:06 pm
  Was never a great fan of Buell, just bad they lost out under the circumstances.  I believe a more tragic loss at this time is Saturn.  A well built, reliable American made car.  Made equally as good as anything Jap/German, and generlly a lot cheaper.

Two more American brands wiped away, and that will soon become as remmebered as AMC.  Will.

terrible thing with saturn. a government funded project to mimick the japanese auto makers. early projects were to drive japanese cars and dig into the processes. great autos overshadowed by greedy GM who bought losers like hummer. bad GM, shame on you
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 07:25:34 pm
The irony about Saturn is that Obama took over GM to ostensibly make smaller and more fuel-efficient cars, which is exactly what Saturn was doing for GM.

So, they closed them down.

Sorta makes a person wonder just what the real goals are, for what they are doing with GM?

Oh wait!
I just remembered that Saturn wasn't unionized,andwas located in a "right to work" state..
And the UAW got a big ownership and leadership position in the new Obama GM.
How about that?
I guess these things aren't so hard to figure out after all.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:49:10 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 09:24:54 pm
You have no way of knowing that, Ace. But I guess that was as good a place as any to slam the things that extreme conservatives don't like.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 10:40:36 pm
The irony about Saturn is that Obama took over GM to ostensibly make smaller and more fuel-efficient cars, which is exactly what Saturn was doing for GM.

So, they closed them down.

Sorta makes a person wonder just what the real goals are, for what they are doing with GM?

Oh wait!
I just remembered that Saturn wasn't unionized,andwas located in a "right to work" state..
How about that?
I guess these things aren't so hard to figure out after all.

I worked for a brake manufacturing company after I got out of the service years ago, and we pressed parts for Saturn.  The company sent a team down to Tennessee when they were having some problems with fit-up.

A very well set-up operation, clean, orderly.  We were amazed, found out it wasn't our parts doing the dirty deed but a different suppliers brake drums being at minimum thickness doing the damage on adjustment problems.

And when that commercial said anyone could stop the line they weren't kidding a problem caused shut-down while we were there.

I get a kick out of GM saying they were operating in the red for years.  Admittedly I don't follow the markets like a blood hound, but as far as I remember I never remember them operating in other than the black.  Yes GM just wanted to whack Saturn in favor of retaining their largeSUV pig mobiles.

After all you have to have at least 10 different SUV's as a corporation to fill that niche I guess.  But a well built, efficient brand never going to need that.  Shameful.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 10:46:45 pm
You have no way of knowing that, Ace. But I guess that was as good a place as any to slam the things that extreme conservatives don't like.

I thought it was a fairly insightful and accurate assessment, myself.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 02:56:08 am
Tennessee also voted for McCain, humm the punishment continues.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 05:42:09 pm
Oh wait!
How about that?
historically, unions are associated with fear, intimidation and mafia. oprah obama is in bed with these guys and different than the usual political puppet on a string, oprah 'o probably has a gun to his head (or his family does) because of the influence the union had getting him elected.

and before i'm accused of being far right, i voted for oprah 'o to be president. it's a long-term thing. mccain needed to stay in the senate where he has more influence and power. he can serve there longer than going thru the accelerated aging process of being prez. besides, mccain don't need any accelerated aging.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:44:32 pm by rideOn »
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

REA Member 131

• Scooter
  • I'd rather push my Enfield than ride a Harley
Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 12:57:20 am
Thread drift alert.