Author Topic: New RE 500 rider from India  (Read 22604 times)

charte

• Bulleteer
  • Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
Reply #45 on: November 23, 2007, 04:02:41 am
Ha!  Laughed at your smoking analogy.  ;-)

Point made.

I actually have a car and a driver, so I don't plan to make the bike commute a habit.  It is not fun...it's more like a video game, constantly dodging cows, water buffalo, bullocks carts, autos, rickshaws, people, trucks, other motorcycles, and trucks.  It's crazy.

I'd really like to get the saddle bags, the split seat, and the windscreen.  Do you have them?  My dealer seems to be having a hard time procuring them. 
1969 Bullet
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic
2017 Moto Guzzi VII Special

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: November 23, 2007, 04:38:46 am
you guys ;D  your traffic sounds more exciting than rush hour in houston texas and the freeways are covered with rain :o ;) ;D

but i must confess it was not an RE at that time..I was on

I wish we could get those wrap around engine guards here in KY..

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #47 on: November 23, 2007, 04:56:08 am
CH,
The split seat has been reviewed to be uncomfortable,,the one sold by RE in India at any rate. I suggest you stay with the dual. Re the bags, check out www.cramster.in
I don't know about the windscreen, I am fine with the visor on my helmet that I will still need in India, so I don't see it making sense for me.
Scotty, I am not sure that the guards you refer to make any safety sense - they may even do just the opposite. The only reason I have them on my bike is that it forces other traffic to give me a little more space - I don't see you have that problem in KY?!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: November 23, 2007, 05:22:24 am
no..traffic isn't thick... just silly..   ::)

keeps You second guessing

Kiwichick

• Scooter
Reply #49 on: November 24, 2007, 01:57:37 am
Do you have a photo that shows those wrap-around engine guards?

I've been wondering about getting them - but the ones you get here in New Zealand, well, my partner insists that it looks like having a heated towel rail bolted on the front, and I think that's right!

We're thinking about a tour of Rajasthan on Enfields next October.  A Kiwi guys leads these tours annually.  I just got his book and read it, and some of the photos show these nice wrap around guards.  I'm mostly considering it for the bike's safety should I drop her!

If I do come over, I could get them and bring them home... Nice souvenir!

Biddy

charte

• Bulleteer
Reply #50 on: November 24, 2007, 04:07:28 am
Just got back from my morning Delhi ride.......got out a lot earlier...no accidents!

I'll go click one for you and try to figure out how to upload it here.

It offers another advantage.......when I took that spill last weekend, the leg guard hit first instead of my leg, and then absorbed most of the damage.  It's about $12 USD.  Best 12 bucks I ever spent.
1969 Bullet

charte

• Bulleteer
Reply #51 on: November 24, 2007, 04:19:28 am
I can't seems to attach more than one pic.

Hopefully this gives you a good idea.  I can sent you more if you'd like!

[old attachment deleted by admin]
1969 Bullet

charte

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: November 24, 2007, 04:23:13 am
Here's another for you.

I really believe in these things.

As India48 also states, it gives you a bigger profile in traffic, which is critcal in cities.

[old attachment deleted by admin]
1969 Bullet

Kiwichick

• Scooter
Reply #53 on: November 24, 2007, 05:33:58 am
Now THAT is nice (and nice bike, too!)

Where did you get it from?  And how much?
Biddy

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #54 on: November 24, 2007, 09:56:41 am
Here is the risk with those guards, people: if you lose it at speed, your best chance is to get detached from the bike fast and roll to safety - assuming there is a safe place you are lucky sitting where you roll, slide, or fly to. The issue with the guard is that it may trap your leg and keep you attached to the bike.
As you will see in my pic, I have a guard as well, but one that carries a little less risk of trapping your leg in it,,,see it on members rides, it has now moved to page 2, if I remember right.
If I was to do serious high speed travel even by Bullet standards, I would take the guard off.

charte

• Bulleteer
Reply #55 on: November 24, 2007, 10:30:03 am
I got it from the dealer...it was 450 INR, which I guess is around 12 buck USD.

I hear you Indian48.....I barely get above 60 kps 'round these parts, so I'm leaving it on!  Already saved my leg and my bike once. 

Kiwichick....if you're interested, I can ask my dealer how much it would cost to ship it to you.  Might be more than the part, but if you think you need it, I'm happy to discuss with him.
1969 Bullet

Kiwichick

• Scooter
Reply #56 on: November 24, 2007, 07:45:39 pm
Hi there
I agree about the risk.  Before I bought the bike, I was wondering about a guard like this.  With the guards that just stick out (not wrap around), I found a website with research showing that while leg injuries were reduced, chest injuries were increased (in speed accidents where the bike and rider flew) and drag/scrape injuries increased (again speed accidents, but where a rider was caught).  However low-speed accidents showed less injury.

So I agree, I'd use it for my commuting rides (maybe 90% of my riding) and take it off for longer cruising trips.

I would like you to ask your dealer if he'd ship it to New Zealand, if it isn't any trouble.  No rush.  That price is great, and it looks like a nicely finished article.  I'd be happy to pay for shipping.  Will your dealer have an email account?

Thanks, Biddy

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #57 on: November 24, 2007, 09:09:25 pm
Your engine guard looks nice and useful.  I have another engine guard as you can see in my photos and just recently the guard saved my tank.  The bike fell over on me (something stupid I did) while running and in gear.  The guard did get a few deep scratches, and I a brused left arm.  If It wasn't for the guard, my brand new shinny chrome tank and front fender would have surely been damaged.  As long as I had to wait for these boogers, I would have been sick, I mean really sick.  Stupid stupid stupid and more stupid.  Praise the engine guard.
Terry

charte

• Bulleteer
Reply #58 on: November 25, 2007, 03:12:36 am
Terry, same effect I got when I dumped mine in traffic after being clipped.  The right foot peg and the leg guard took the scratches, no my beautiful bullet!!

Glad yours is in good shape.

Whatever you did, I bet I've done something more stupid ;-)  I like to think it's part of the learning process and at least people like us get out there and live life, with some stupid mistakes, instead of staying at home and watching TV all day like some I know.

Kiwichick, no problem, I'll talk to Sachin, the manager, this coming week.  I'm still working with him on getting some accessories, so I'm in active dialog anyway.

I'm sure he can help you!

Stay tuned.
1969 Bullet

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #59 on: November 25, 2007, 03:47:27 am
I know that all of us love our Bullets, and I too would rather have the guard take the blow rather than the bike. But lets also prefer our legs and bodies to the Bullet, all of us, in thinking through the consequences of any accident. Between damage to my leg, and damage to the bike, the choice is a no brainer. If it comes to that, we can always buy ourselves a new Bullet.
Quite honestly, if you fall while riding the bike, it is very, very unlikely that the bike will fall over the leg. In case of any fall, the first thing that will happen is that you will get unseated, and then separated from the bike, which, in 99% of the cases, will be a good thing. And if the guard comes in the way of that separation happening, I would rather not have the guard.
I think Kiwichick has the best approach to the use of the guard, as she has set out in an earlier post.