Author Topic: New RE 500 rider from India  (Read 22606 times)

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 01:39:24 pm
PS: I think you will also know this, but there's no harm in saying it,,all the time in the first 2000 kms, you need to be very aware of what the engine is saying, and pull in the clutch at the first sign of it slowing down and pull over to the side,,,,one gets some amount of early warning before the piston seizes, if one is alive to the signs,,,
I do not think that you will suffer that, given how much you know about the subject, and I also am guessing that your ambient temperatures are on the low side as well. But there is no harm in being forewarned.
Happy/safe riding!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: November 16, 2007, 05:30:25 am
Newbie question that I think is answered somewhere, but I still have a doubt about - coming out of the bottom of the carb is a longish - 15 inch or so - thin, pink rubber tube that I found flapping around, not connected at the other end to anything at all is the way I found it. I have tucked it away towards the rear of the bike, from below the carb, till it comes out a little ahead of the right rear footpeg. Is that ok? What does that tube do and why is it needed? Why is it that the iron engine bike's carb does not seem to have it? I noticed that because I went across to one to see if I could get an answer, but that bike seemed not to have any such tube. My bike has the AVL engine, and I think it has a CV carb.
Reposting the question here in anticipation of a response,,,thank you for taking the trouble to answer what is probably a dumb question!

deejay

Reply #32 on: November 16, 2007, 01:20:13 pm
Newbie question that I think is answered somewhere, but I still have a doubt about - coming out of the bottom of the carb is a longish - 15 inch or so - thin, pink rubber tube that I found flapping around, not connected at the other end to anything at all is the way I found it. I have tucked it away towards the rear of the bike, from below the carb, till it comes out a little ahead of the right rear footpeg. Is that ok? What does that tube do and why is it needed? Why is it that the iron engine bike's carb does not seem to have it? I noticed that because I went across to one to see if I could get an answer, but that bike seemed not to have any such tube. My bike has the AVL engine, and I think it has a CV carb.
Reposting the question here in anticipation of a response,,,thank you for taking the trouble to answer what is probably a dumb question!

All the carbs should have overflow tubes like this, mine does and its a classic iron engine. If your float gets stuck, then gas will leak out as a safety measure

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: November 16, 2007, 01:42:18 pm

All the carbs should have overflow tubes like this, mine does and its a classic iron engine. If your float gets stuck, then gas will leak out as a safety measure

Thanks for the clarification - where is the best place to tuck away the loose end?

deejay

Reply #34 on: November 16, 2007, 03:05:20 pm

Thanks for the clarification - where is the best place to tuck away the loose end?

I cut it so its only 2-3 inches ling now. It only leaks if there is a problem, so best to be able to see it.

Kiwichick

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: November 16, 2007, 10:27:48 pm
Mine tucks nicely back, ending just behind the toolbox. 

Hasn't flapped loose yet, but I can see the logic cutting it short - then you can see whether there's a problem.  Ending behind the toolbox, any petrol coming out would be hidden to the eye (although not to the nose, I suppose)

Biddy

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: November 17, 2007, 03:31:29 am
www.dirttrackproductions.com
I am seeing how to get the DVD this weekend, having read about it on the above site, and the reviews posted, I can't wait to lay my hands on it. Seems like an awesome movie about an awesome ride - on a bullet to the top of the world! Its available on line, and I think that folks here may want to check it out!!
I have posted this in two places, since I wanted to make sure that everyone here get to see this post.
I have no financial interest in the sale of the DVD!!! :) It is just that this seems to be another outstanding product out of India, that should appeal to all RE lovers.

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: November 18, 2007, 06:05:33 am
Re the DVD,,,interesting day yesterday!! since I wanted to see the movie right away, emailed their office and offered to drive down 100 miles to pay cash and get it. The director of the movie called me back and offered to ride halfway on his bullet to give me the DVD, so I did just that and met the man. Interesting person, who is living a life following his dream. Sounds like another " Good enough" philosophy person.
I saw the film last night on a large screen TV - spectacular filming of a very fascinating people in one of the harshest environments in the world. It is not so much about the bike as it is about the place and the people, and I recommend the DVD as a must buy to see for those of us who are in tune with the less is more way of thinking. Again, although it has a bullet in it ( the same one he rode out on, that I got some pictures of yesterday), the bullet is only the tool he uses to get to where he needs to be at as low a cost as possible. The man - Gaurav Jani - has made a great movie, but is not successful at marketing it and the DVD has sold just some 3500 numbers, all by word of mouth. I am trying to figure out how to help him do that better, just to have more people see his work  and to allow him to keep doing more on similar lines,,,,great to see someone living his dream, and staying out of the rat race from a young age.

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: November 18, 2007, 06:18:15 am

Since we have a discussion going between people in different parts of the world, I'd like to ask about the conditions of the roads you are riding your various RE's on.  I live in the southeastern US in a pretty rural area with plenty of paved roads but miles and miles of dirt roads that are sometimes the only feasible way to get from here to there.  Rolling to hilly land but not mountainous. How do you all consider the riding experience and handling of your bike in places where conditions are less than ideal?

Would panniers be a problem in those conditions?
Does the bike handle two-up riding well?
If you want to see just how rugged the bike is, check out the DVD I referred to.
Another nugget re the director,,,I asked him how much he is able to fix things on the bike himself. He says that he knows the basic stuff and the running repairs like fixing flat tires, and broken cables, but is terrible at the electricals which he is unable to understand, and has no clue about tappets and timing or the carb. He also says that all the problems he had with the bike were two flat tires,,,,,
I admire the confidence of the man to still venture out all by himself into the wilds of the high Himalayas with just the bike and no back up of any kind, on a 3000 mile journey! On the other hand I obsess with all kinds of concerns on a 200 mile trip down the highway!

charte

• Bulleteer
  • Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
Reply #39 on: November 18, 2007, 05:02:47 pm
Glad to see another 45-70 fan out there!

Indian48, I have the same tube off mine.  The dealer told me it's an overflow.

I found out about it this weekend......I was by the Parliment heading toward the India Gate and some crazy guy decided to pass me on the right and cross my front to make a left turn.  He hit my front wheel and knocked the bars out of my hands.  I learned how to fly!  No serious injuries other than some scrapes and a swollen ankle.  Given that I'm almost 40, I was surprised how I rolled and got right back up.

I really yelled at that guy.  What the heck was that stunt?  Unbelievable.

The bike is ok.  The leg guard took most of the beating.  I really learned to appreciate that add  on!!!

When I picked it off the pavement, gas was coming out of that tube.  Therefore, gas can come out and I think you're wise to route it up and back.  I did the same thing.  I'm not sure I'm comfortable with petrol hitting my hot crankcase. 
1969 Bullet
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic
2017 Moto Guzzi VII Special

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: November 19, 2007, 12:45:18 am
Thats not a good way to learn about why the tube should be tucked away, and I congratulate you on a lucky escape. What you saw is typical to Indian traffic and there is no option for doing anything but driving very defensively, expecting the unexpected at all times, and not expecting rules to be kept. I do that driving a car as well, because as you must have seen, the 100 cc bike crowd go like kamikazes, and I can't imagine living the rest of my life with a death on my conscience, even if the other guy ( or girl even) did something stupid. On behalf of my fellow countrymen, I will say that what you are seeing  is the automobilization of large masses in a very short period of time, with poor infrastructure, too much of laws and too little enforcement. The west did not see a transformation on the scale/speed that we are seeing, and with that said, I am continually surprised that there are not more accidents. I trust you will take all care in future.
Re the tube, the hot crankcase concern is why I have not done what has been posted here, of cutting the tube down to two-three inches. If there is any gas coming out, I would want to see it get direct to the road.
Safe riding!

charte

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: November 21, 2007, 04:31:11 pm
Thanks!

Heading to Noida in the morning...first trip out into the rush hour traffic since getting sideswiped.  Delhi traffic sucks.

Let's stay in touch on the Leh plans.  Right now, I think I have 3 of us going, but a lot can happen in 7 months.

I'm looking forward to a Rajasthan ride in a couple of weeks though...not too deep, just to dip into Alwar and maybe Jaipur.

I apologize to the US crowd fo the obscure India references.  I'm from NJ, so I hope that still gives me rights ;-)  If any of you come this way you should look us up.  There is a whole Bullet culture here in india as Indian48 is saying.  You guys would love it.

1969 Bullet

deejay

Reply #42 on: November 21, 2007, 04:56:33 pm

I apologize to the US crowd fo the obscure India references.  I'm from NJ, so I hope that still gives me rights ;-)  If any of you come this way you should look us up.  There is a whole Bullet culture here in india as Indian48 is saying.  You guys would love it.

It's cool, I think we all like hearing about India. If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have these wonderful bikes!

charte

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: November 22, 2007, 01:00:24 am
Thanks!  I can't take credit,but I will tell you that I've never purchased a motorcycle before my Bullet....there is something seductive about them.  I can't explain it, but I'm getting ready to head out on it this morning.

Cheers!
1969 Bullet

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: November 22, 2007, 01:19:38 am
You are doing what I - an Indian who has lived here for all his life - will not do anymore by choice, ride the bike in the commuter traffic in the big cities! If I was to do that, I may as well start smoking once again, a habit that I kicked 15 years ago for good, but one that I still miss for the pleasure of a cigarette first thing in the morning or after a good meal! I know that in Delhi things have actually improved on the traffic pollution front since all the public transport vehicles were forced to move from diesel to CNG as fuel, but it is still very high in pollution,,as is every big city here.
I bought the bike for recreational riding, and I am just back from a spin on a good road close by - left home at 5 30 am and back in an hour. Its cool out at this time, good ambient to run the bike harder in every gear to move the running in along the way I want to, and to lean into curves that one can see through a long way, at at time they are clear of traffic. And get the bike set up for what I intend to do with it, ride out of the city on weekends into quieter places, and for the occassional long rides, like the one planned into the mountains in summer.
India cities are getting to be exhausting places to live,,,or I am getting too old for them.