Author Topic: Accidents happen!!  (Read 10040 times)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 10:21:18 pm
Br. Larry, I am sorry to hear about your accident and glad to hear that you are fine and on the road to recovery!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 04:14:27 am
Good to hear your on the mend. Take it easy for a bit. BTW how did the beefy fair? My brother-in-law was riding a GldWg home one night a few yrs ago. Caught a whitetail doe broadside at 55 mph. The GW was sold for parts, he was in the hospital for a wk or so, you can imagine what happened to the deer. Life goes on.  :P
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

Ukuvox

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 09:27:33 pm
Saddened to hear about you accident (and gas theft by cows ???) but glad it wasn't worse & that you're on the mend.
...you can imagine what happened to the deer. Life goes on.  :P
Not for the deer! ;)

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 10:48:20 pm
I haven't been at the actual crash site yet, though I'm feeling I should go there (just up the road).  Tonga is an odd place for ownership.  It just isn't the same here, as there is a tradition of non-ownership (everyone sort of sharing out) and one that came later of ownership.  I try to maintain a sort of off-based way, maintaining my rights to an extent without making a big deal of it all.  It can be a little confusing at times, but if one doesn't make a big deal of ownership, it works out fairly well.  For example, I am considered wealthy here, though my bank accounts don't show any real wealth, but I don't put others interests always first, so that is a big difference. 

Anyway, this thing with the gas can is going to bother me until I get the time to go to the site and look closer.  It strikes me as rather odd that I could have been immobilized and things 'walked off' and later found them to be missing.  Not that it is that important, but the general idea that someone would actually be there taking my gas while I was unconscious, bothers me.  It just should not be that way.

They must have thought me too far gone to make a protest. 

So I am well aware that my circle of needs won't be always granted, and I must look ahead to try to set thing right before they happen. 

Today I took some Tylenol and that seems to have worked well and I'll be taking some more later. 
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 11:49:50 pm
Glad to hear you are on the mend.. sorry to hear of your doubts with your neighbors..

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 03:35:29 am
shit LJR...  this sux!!  Glad you are on the mend. Several years ago my chiropractor told me, 'You know, as we get older these things take longer to heal..." .  You are in a good place to heal. Take care of yourself- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 05:50:12 am
LJ,

I am very glad to hear you are ok. It is odd that the can would go missing when you were injured, very sad if someone left you there while taking the can.

Rest well and take heart in knowing it was not your time.

"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

LJRead

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 06:23:15 am
My latest thoughts on the missing gas can is that the two young guys who brought the bike home, took it with them and there were no earlier culprits.  These were young high school kids and I rather suspect that they might have the uses for my gas.  I'm not going to worry about it further, however.  I just don't see these others taking the gas can, whereas the two that brought it back and eventually got me to the hospital, seem a closer choice.

Today, for the first time, no headache, so I'm definitely healing.  I was only doing about forty mph at the time, with a helmet and all, so this doesn't surprise me.  I had a look at my forehead for the first time just a while ago, and the damage seems pretty minor, which I would expect.  Today was the first day that my head didn't ache, so I guess I'll get there.  I had a close look at the bike's damage (as well as my own) and it came through pretty well too.  I'm thinking that the position of the front forks is due to their being forced around and not to any real damage.  Today I started on the rear pannier, and will replace part of the lid.  The right side foot peg is bent out of shape so that will take some work as well.  I have the distinct feeling that it is only the foot peg and the one wooden box that I need to repair, the front needs careful disassembly and being put carefully back together, but I don't think any real damage was done.  

No real point in moving on the whole project too fast - just taking it all a day at a time.Will submit some photos when it is accomplished.

Odd the way my head has acted up even though the real damage seems slight.  Today for the first time, I didn't have a headache and actually was able to work on the bike.  Fortunately there is no paint needing retouching.  So it is really only the side peg and the back box, as well as making sure the front fork isn't damaged.  I suppose it is one of our problems to take a positive look at damage and try not to see what is there.

My daughter gets a Christmas break soon and will be here from Utah.  My sone is stuck there due to poor behavior with his girlfriend- don.t know how one cures that sort of behavior.  
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 07:21:34 am
LJ, glad you were wearing a crash helmet.

For some reason I thought you were the aviator glasses and bandanna head band type.
Glad I was wrong.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 12:35:16 pm
Larry, often in a crash the forks get "tweaked" . There may be no need to disassemble them.

If the tire and handle bar are not in alignment and you see no obvious bending in the forks you can loosen the pinch bolts and with something holding the front wheel stationary, adjust the handle bar - wheel alignment. Then retighten the fork pinch bolts.

LJRead

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 05:52:04 pm
Good idea, Phil, I'll take your advice and tweak it one stage at a time.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 06:18:16 pm
     Larry, based on my years of racing and crashing bikes, I am not surprised by your head issues. Helmets can protect against many things, but in an abrupt stop your brain will literally slosh around inside your skull. The brain mass has inertia and it will still be moving when your head abruptly stops. I am speaking from personal experience. Your brain needs time to heal, including re-wiring damaged neural paths.
     And, yes guys, this does explain a lot about me.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 09:51:12 pm
LJ, Just read of your accident. Been away for awhile; took a little spill of my own. Hope you're OK and that you heal up well.  Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 11:33:28 pm

And, yes guys, this does explain a lot about me.

Vince I hate it when you beat me to the punch line.  ::)

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 09:11:57 am
LJ,

Be easy on yourself. You are the only you you have! Head injuries are something to keep an eye on. (How does one look at one's own head? Introspection?) From your posts it was apparent your noggin' was rattled. (No offense intended, Bro'  ;D)  It's obvious that many of us here on the forum care about you!

Regarding Vince's issues, his Mom gave birth standing up and Vince fell out on his head on day one. There's no catching up for the rest of us.

-Jesse
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.