Author Topic: Accidents happen!!  (Read 10047 times)

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
on: October 14, 2009, 09:08:13 pm
I've been away for most of a week now.  Two youngsters found me alongside the road, apparently having dodged some livestock.  I have badly scraped knees, and a head still waiting for stitches (in a little while).  I've been in the hospital up until last night, a total of five days in there, much of it seems garbled now as I look back. It may have been a steer running across in front of me, damage to the bike is a broken headlight, a torn open box and a badly bent foot peg, nothing that can't be handled, so that will be the next step.

I have spent much of the past five days sort of semi-comatose, people coming by now and then and feeling pretty much normal, except that there is a lurking confusion over what exactly happened (I have no memory of it all). Next few days I will start
 dealing with the bike, little by little, although I'm wondering if anything major is bent.  The paint was spared but the front fork doesn't seem quite right, so I will have a slow go at it all. 

Anyway, today I go for a final checkup then, hopefully, life here gets back to more or less normalcy, if one can call it that.  Good that I can go on the forum and catch up on what others are now on about.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:20:48 pm
Wow Larry, I'm so glad you're recuperating nicely. Yes accidents do happen, it must have been your turn, but to not have a memory of it scary. Seems it could have been much worse.

Even after your released, it would be a good idea to keep an eye on anything that my seem unusual.

Welcome back, and when you feel like it gives us an update on the earthquake damage and the rebuilding.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:21:24 pm
Holy cow, LJ!

We were wondering where you were, but never suspected anything like that!

Get some stitches and some good rest, and we're glad it wasn't any worse than it was.

Good to see you back, though.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 09:28:19 pm
Sorry about the accident, but glad (relatively) that you are fine.
People have been asking about you.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 11:16:20 pm
Yikes,  I wish you a speedy recovery. 

Next time you have a steak just give it an extra stab with your knife, just to even things out...       

Loss of memory and mutilated cattle kinda sounds like a case of alien abduction to me..   ;)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:47:16 pm
hey Man..  sorry about your accident..  hang tuff.. you'll be fine b4 you know it

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:53:58 pm
  Best wishes for a speedy recovery Larry.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 01:53:47 am
Thanks all for the nice messages.

I just returned from the hospital and no stitches will be required, just found out that the gasoline bottle I was carrying on the back of the bike went missing, so this of course has me wondering if I may have swerved out of the path of a car, which then took the gas.  Who knows, and I'm not going to worry further about it all.  My brother-in-law drove me to the doctor and back home. Apparently, since I live a ways away from the hospital, until they get the new bridge in, my wife will change dressings on the small hole in my head. I feel quite chipper right now, though I haven't examined the bike closely yet. 

People here are generally quite kind and willing to help where they are able.  Someone, however, took the gallon bottle of gasoline I was carrying home for the mower, so that's a small loss.  When you are as uninformed of things as I am, you begin to wonder about it all.  Did the guy who took the gasoline, for example have anything to do with steering me off the road.  it is odd that I was lying there unconscious at the same time as the gasoline was disappearing.  Really an odd thing, as there was only a five quart bottle about half full.

Island looks a little different today, probably because my brother- in- law, Tanni, is doing the driving.  He does drive very slowly, so has use of my car - no doubt in better hands with him!  I do feel out of it all, totally, so will just drift along like this for now. 
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 01:53:06 am
Larry, glad to hear you are OK. Memory loss caused by an accident can't be a good thing but may have an upside considering the circumstances. Somethings you just don't want to replay over and over again. I'm sure you will sort out the problems with your bike in a jiffy.

Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 03:43:25 am
You mean you think another vehicle was involved and they stole your can of gas?

Was you wallet missing?

Ille bet you that foot peg don't straighten without breaking, any way you got a few days to ponder over the repairs.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 04:00:04 am
I have notices up all over the neighborhood because my pet cow broke her leash and ran off...
Run what ya brung

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 08:44:36 am
Cows don't steal gas cans ----do they?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 12:37:28 pm
Cows don't steal gas cans ----do they?
Only in the wild western states! Be very careful around US cows.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 04:17:08 pm
Well if your sure about this because I don't know cows very well.

But how would a cow pick a gas can up?  with its teeth?  or its paws?

If it used its paws it would have to run on its back legs. Theres something wrong with this.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 05:38:13 pm
     Larry, I'm glad you're OK.  I've learned from my own (numerous) crashes and injuries to take my time recuperating. DON'T RUSH IT!!! That's the mistake all us macho men make. Rushing the recovery just drags out the recovery time. Keep us informed. If you would like, I'll get you a good deal on a new helmet. You should not re-use a helmet after an incident like this. Take care.