Author Topic: Anyone ever tried mounting fog/driving lights on an RE?  (Read 8728 times)

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
on: November 03, 2007, 10:33:40 am
I was thinking about adding extra driving lights onto Matilda.  Has anyone done this before?  Can the alternator keep up with the extra power draw what kind of lights have you used?  I didn't see anything in the CMW store as far as these type of lights go.  Does anyone know if Royal Enfield makes a auxiliary driving light specific for the Bullets?  If so where do I get one?

I saw these two possible lights on ebay:
Item #: 230188159476 and 290177436299

I thought of either mounting them to the crash bars or fabricate a bracket for it to mount with the front turn signals.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 02:44:58 pm
Those are nice looking lights. I don't think the stock charging system would keep up with a pair of 55watt lights though. Definately not for full-time useage. If you only wanted something to turn on for the occasional foggy area or known deer crossing they may do the job. My brother is doing that with his old gold wing.... it won't keep up with a pair of 55watt lights on the stock system. I think I would look for some less powerful lights, mabye 30watt or so. Or possibly only use 1 of the 55watt lights.

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 05:06:38 pm
I've seen pictures of lots of guys in India with extra lights, they usually mount them to the crash bars. Just call or email the guys at RE USA, they will be able to tell you for sure......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 07:45:34 pm
 I have also seen a lot of pictures of indian RE with aux. lights on youtube. It must be feasible.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 09:02:28 pm
A lot of accessories on Indian bikes don't work.. they are there for show.  But I have seen a few with working lights so it must be possible, but not on my '99 - no spare juice at all.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Ofcalipka

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 08:53:20 am
I found this photo on Flickr.com.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1429/1327593039_e2e8d84d9b.jpg?v=0

It shows an RE with driving lights mounted.  Looks kinda good.  What do you all think of this arrangement?
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 11:01:51 am
That is an interesting way of mounting them - looks good.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 04:05:46 pm
That is an interesting way of mounting them - looks dreadful IMHO.  :o

We have a chap with an Army Bullet over here that has his indicators mounted at that point. Much better!!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 10:50:25 pm
Being unhappy about the Dim lights for night riding; I installed the halogen replacement for the standard headlaight. That was ok till I moved to the country and realized that I'd better get a better light if I didn't want to take a deer out of season....
I mounted this driving light under the headlamp and wired it thru the Bright circuit; disableing the bright cause it wouldn't aim correctly any way. This throws a good WHITE beam that is plenty of light. My Bullet is an es so I do have the stronger alternator. If you were to use a pair of them; with the headlamp on as well; I don't think the alt. would provide enough juice. It could prob. work if the extra lights were wired directly to the battery and NOT used all the time.
- Mike

[old attachment deleted by admin]
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 12:56:05 am
That is an ingenious idea Mike, I will look into that one with my new bike.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 01:08:54 am
That is a clever idea baird4444. Say I wonder if one could find some kind of LED light that would work. They don't use much juice and can be pretty darn bright.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 01:57:51 am
I would like to figure out a way to attach my LED security light to the bike's battery - it will illuminate a building at 500 yards.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

Ofcalipka

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 10:51:08 am
Well I went ahead and tried mounting a set of fog lights on Matilda.  I think it turned out pretty well. 

Check it out here:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=445

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=444

These are the 55 watt halogen lights which I installed by wiring them directly to the battery with its own fuse and relay for operation.  After firing it up and checking the charging system I found it to handle the load pretty well.  The voltage only dropped .02 volts when I turned them on with the engine running slightly above idle.

1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 03:57:12 pm
Well I went ahead and tried mounting a set of fog lights on Matilda.  I think it turned out pretty well.  These are the 55 watt halogen lights which I installed by wiring them directly to the battery with its own fuse and relay for operation.  After firing it up and checking the charging system I found it to handle the load pretty well.  The voltage only dropped .02 volts when I turned them on with the engine running slightly above idle.

They look GOOD...   If you splash some O.D. on them they wouldn't even be noticed!
Do they illuminate the road like you wanted?? I considered a similar install but didn't want to mess with the xtra wiring to the crashbars and switch. I tend to take my bars off and on with changing moods making relocating the lights a chore.

Don't be fooled by your reading of the alternator..  that reading is what is going IN the battery. I may be wrong but I'm betting that the lights will be drawing more than the alt. is making at the time. I am sure that you will be alright and not completely drain the battery so long as you don't run the new lights continuously.
        - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Ofcalipka

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 04:14:40 pm
I thought about painting them OD but I like how the chrome matches the bullet turn signals.  As far as the wiring I too pull the crash bars off for maintenance quite a bit so I put a quick disconnect plug right under the tank where the wiring harness goes in to deal with this.  The extra light on the road is excellent and helps a lot for the night driving.  Since I wired it directly to the battery it draws its power directly from the battery and as long as the charging system still charges the battery it should be good.  Unlike the factory headlight which seems to draw its power directly from the charging system and not off the battery which is why it looks so dim at idle most of the time.  The ampmeter is still showing quite strong and since I don't use them continuously I still think it will be alright.

1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI